Young gun's 94 build thread

So who's truck is running what LSA and doing well?

Its a combination of Duration and LSA. Usually your higher lift cams are a tighter LSA and longer duration. The exhaust valve will actually still be open while the intake valve cracks open, and will use minimal amounts of boost pressure to finish pushing the exhaust out of the cylinder on the intake stroke. (Valve overlap) This is where your reliefs come in.

Well the pieces in the pan didn't give this motor much time to live, it died passing some jack wagon tourists just a half hour from home. Was able to limp it onto a trailer and get it home without anything exiting the block LOL

I'm having the 286210 pistons I bought cut for .150 valve reliefs which should put me right at 16:1 cr ratio. I'll be dropping off my block tomorrow after work to have cam bushings installed. If everything goes well I should have a short block built in just a couple weeks. Still need to source rod bolts and main studs. Who's cheapest?

Kind of convenient I already have a motor essentially 80% ready to go!

Where do you go for machine work?

Murphy41 (Brandon Murphy) works for outlaw diesel repair in Ogden Utah and they use a machine shop up there. They are doing the valve reliefs and the cam bushings. Most of the normal non-hi po stuff I use cleggs here in Orem Utah. Mostly because I could literally pull a wagon with a bunch of parts in it over to them from my apartment... LOL

Last edited:
Murphy41 (Brandon Murphy) works for outlaw diesel repair in Ogden Utah and they use a machine shop up there. They are doing the valve reliefs and the cam bushings. Most of the normal non-hi po stuff I use cleggs here in Orem Utah. Mostly because I could literally pull a wagon with a bunch of parts in it over to them from my apartment... LOL

LOL.. Thas Great, I used to live down the street froma big race engine place, I could always tell when they were donna dyno a BIG engine..

The biggest I was there for was a 632 BBC with BIG Indy heads a 2 stages of nitrous, All I can say was WOW, 6" Exhausts all the way to 8K, tha sounded AWESOME !!! :bow::nos:

So there hasnt been much progress at all, obvious by the lack of posting. The crankshaft and engine rebuild kit were stolen out of my jeep about two months ago and that really set me back, but I'm making some headway! I was able to pick up the block and head from Brandon yesterday. Decided to have the head fire ringed, along with a 3 angle valve job. No porting as of now, I know, it needs to be done! I am just holding out for a Hamilton head sometime down the road, so saving a few dollars there.

As for whats left, there is a laundry list.... I am still waiting on pistons to be cut, still need to purchase the larger 1.3'" common rail tappets, truck needs a dakota digital box to get the speedo working, I need to buy billet freeze plugs and build a coolant bypass, I need to setup my second airdog pump, etc etc. The list goes on. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll have some worth while updates.

I've sourced out Billet Freeze Plugs for a killer deal Spencer. When your ready let me know. And I'll let ya know what your price will be on them.

Here are some things I've accumulated.

eBay freeze plugs for 80$ shipped

7amydere.jpg

Great quality, I'm happy to see that they didn't just throw a black o-ring on it and call it a day.
eqa7ugym.jpg

Rod bolts and main studs
zysyvy8u.jpg

MOAR NOS LOL
a5aqaba2.jpg

Some sort of micro coated bearings, these are aparretly the shiznit. Got them for free so I am not complaining.
humajuvu.jpg

vunygyba.jpg

You better get to work and quit posting pictures of stuff, anyone can buy/acquire parts, it takes a real enthusiast to get everything installed in-time to compete in the diesel events.

UDP's dyno is coming up quick, Saturday November 1st, just 3 weeks away!

You better get to work and quit posting pictures of stuff, anyone can buy/acquire parts, it takes a real enthusiast to get everything installed in-time to compete in the diesel events.

UDP's dyno is coming up quick, Saturday November 1st, just 3 weeks away!

I hope you are just messing with me, I've been trying hard to get it together, I've just been plagued with problems since i started this build. Stolen parts, pistons taking two months to have valve reliefs cut, etc. It's not gonna happen in three weeks, if it does it will be last minute. There is still too much to do.

Got a new torque wrench the other day, anxious to test it out on my motor!

3ysy7y8y.jpg

Back