Looking for 9" advice

Would you recommend panhard bar instead of a wishbone? I've recently advocated this and wouldn't mind a second opinion.

I dont like the load placed on a single diagonal bar , diagonal force in a rear end is pretty high, i've only been through two wish bones last year....

Double wishbone is the best, but a CM 1.250 .083 wishbone will be plenty for him. You as well.

The difference?

It all depends on the type of car being built. A diagonal link and wishbone are both designed for drag race only. There is too much stress put on the rod ends of a diagonal link when cornering to be safe for street use.

The wishbone requires too much maintenance for typical street use because of the slip joint.

The panhard bar is simple in design and very effective in controlling the side motion of a vehicle, but better suited for the street.

Last edited:
I dont like the load placed on a single diagonal bar , diagonal force in a rear end is pretty high, i've only been through two wish bones last year....

Double wishbone is the best, but a CM 1.250 .083 wishbone will be plenty for him. You as well.

The difference?

It all depends on the type of car being built. A diagonal link and wishbone are both designed for drag race only. There is too much stress put on the rod ends of a diagonal link when cornering to be safe for street use.

The wishbone requires too much maintenance for typical street use because of the slip joint.

The panhard bar is simple in design and very effective in controlling the side motion of a vehicle, but better suited for the street.
Thanks for hte response. I was thinking the diagonal link was fine because it was only seeing a compression load and only used for drag racing in the 1500 I'm building. I'll have to revisit my idea I suppose.

Ya I would say wishbone for sure also, where did that antiroll come from those arms look long. Are you gonna give the lower shock mounts some more support?

Ya I would say wishbone for sure also, where did that antiroll come from those arms look long. Are you gonna give the lower shock mounts some more support?

The kit came from S&W, I don't know where they source them from. I wasn't planning on beefing up the lower shock mounts, they looked strong enough to me, but maybe we can take a look at it when I bring it down to you.

Yes, 40 spline 5/8 wheel studs.
Excellent choice! I've always been happy with their service even when it takes an extra 2-3 days. The last time I told Strange what kinda time crunch I was in and they over-nighted the axles on their dime.

Well, after almost a month and a half, I finally got my axles.

2011-02-22_12-41-54_177-1.jpg

2011-02-22_12-44-43_182.jpg

And I picked up some brakes...

2011-02-23_14-35-40_182.jpg

2011-02-23_14-35-54_474.jpg

2011-02-23_14-45-57_476.jpg

2011-02-23_15-35-16_665.jpg

Last edited:
Do you need a special master cylinder to run dual calipers?

Im running dual calipers pretty much same identical setup as the one pictured with stock master cylinder only issue I seem to have it wearing orings out and having to rebuild calipers ever so often.

Im running dual calipers pretty much same identical setup as the one pictured with stock master cylinder only issue I seem to have it wearing orings out and having to rebuild calipers ever so often.

Having to rebuild the calipers ever so often on the truck you just bought?

Having to rebuild the calipers ever so often on the truck you just bought?

I had to rebuild them when I bought the truck he had blew the o rings out and pulled the rear calipers off completely and capped the lines. I rebuilt them and installed them back on the truck and have since blew the orings again not a big deal just a messy pain in the butt. Hes got a brake booster on it and im thinking the pressure is just too high along with the line lock its just hard on them.

Back on track your trucks looking good man excellent job so far cant wait to see it with bed on it etc. Did yall leave it lwb or make it a swb now maybe I missed that earlier in the thread.

It'll be a short wheel base. I hope I don't have the same trouble you are having with the brakes. With as much as they cost, they should be more rugged than that.

I think the problems I am seeing with mine is simply due too the higher then normal line pressures I am seeing to the rear brakes to hold the tires on the line. I haven't had any issues with there calipers on the frontend.

i ran 1350 billet yoke and 35 splined axles for 2 years with no problems on my prostreet truck at 1200hp and 4700lbs.
we also used the same cross link bars from s&w with no problems also. this all was in the 2nd fastest 2wd truck ever!!!!! 9.34@149mph

Back