2003 5.9----->6.7 swap

Alright pics are back up.

I needed to reuse the adapter plate from the 5.9, because the starter area is thicker and spaces the starter out so it doesn't interfere with the flywheel.

5.9/NV5600 adapter on left, 6.7 on right. I have no idea if the G56 and 68RFE adapter is different or not:
2399e713.jpg

6.7 plate:
bc0b80a8.jpg

5.9 plate:
8828922b.jpg

Also got word from Exergy, and my injectors tested out perfect. Hope to have the trans in and everything back together by the end of this weekend. When the injectors come, drop them in, put the rail and such back on, set valve lash and drive the damn thing!!

i like this write up,kinda makes me wanna start looking for a 6.7 for when mine craps out. hopefully not any time soon though. knock on wood.

the crank for my 6.7 is at the machine shop now, going into my drw truck as soon as built, maybe udc will be here by then so I can tune it

Im also doing the same swap and the adapter plate for the 68rfe is different the whole adapter plate is enough thicker that lockup won't engage.

Are there two different adaptors for manual and auto, do you know?

A little update, the truck is pretty much together, minus the radiator and fan (I either need to pull the fan off the 5.9 pulley or swap the 6.7 balancer for the 5.9 one.

And almost all my rockers are galled to the point of not being reusable. Same issue I had on my 07; the rockers stick and don't move freely. Hopefully I can get new ones quickly or find some good ones in the blown engine.

I know on the 5.9s the starter block/ mount is different from auto to manual. I know the 68rfe plate is overall thicker than both of those but I don't know what a g56 plate looks like.

On your fan pulley balancer issue I don't think I would mess with trying to swap the balancer. The 6.7 has an integrated tone ring and from what I understand with the 6.7 having a bigger stroke its important to leave the bigger balancer.

Here she is, all put back together except turbo controller, intake, fan, overflow and shroud.

426b00b9.jpg

50bfd70d.jpg

I have one wire I can't place; there are two plugs on the ECM. This one comes off the rear harness, the first branch, and has a plug in the middle and an eye on the end:
44786a24.jpg

bdd0b525.jpg

3ba7e821.jpg

I think it grounds to the battery but I obviously overlooked taking a pic of it. Can't find anythine the plug would go to either...

And here's a vid of the failed start:doh:
[ame="http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/strokeThis_07/?action=view&current=47a32985.mp4"]47a32985.mp4 video by strokeThis_07 - Photobucket[/ame]

Not only does it not sound or feel right, but Smarty can't connect to the ECM either. Sounds like no compression I think; the injectors didn't want to sit down in the bore very easily, but the cross tubes went in just fine.

Is that the plug that goes into the one on the side of the fuse box? And I think that other wire is a ground that routes around the front (headlamp side) of the battery and up on the frame above the battery.

Last edited:
I did put that wire on the ground right by the battery, but the plug....I can't find a corresponding plug ANYWHERE. I'm wondering if maybe the original liftpump plugged in there, the one mounted right by the filter? The truck has the in-tank retrofit and I never messed with the original one.

Ok, it's been awhile, but I'm hoping to roll the truck back in the garage next week. Rolled it out so I could put the new trans in my 07, and after chasing an issue, it seems to be running pretty good. Think I'll check the injectors, again, and then if that doesn't take care of it, the head may have to come off.

Really would like to get it back on the road

Great write-up on how to do the 5.9 to 6.7 swap!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours do you think you have into the swap at this point? Also, rough numbers, what does a used 6.7 like that go for?

that plug does it have a green wire with a white tracer? if it does it goes to a plug that comes off the fuse box stud.

Great write-up on how to do the 5.9 to 6.7 swap!!!

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours do you think you have into the swap at this point? Also, rough numbers, what does a used 6.7 like that go for?

Hours of actual work...I would venture to guess in the 30-40 range? Probably more, there's been a couple good days put in on it, and even more with 3-4 hours at a time.

This engine was 6700, including the 500 core that I paid, since I had no 6.7 to return to the junkyard.

that plug does it have a green wire with a white tracer? if it does it goes to a plug that comes off the fuse box stud.

It does. That's where I put it originally, just cause it fit. Thanks

And today, I got her fired up:woohoo:

In this instance, the 5.9 injectors simply would not seal in the 6.7 bore. Short of boring the injector holes a little, my only option was to drop the 5.9 head on the 6.7 block. Got them swapped yesterday, and had it pretty much buttoned up this afternoon, so after getting a jump on weak batteries, and the fuel system primed, she fired right up and idled real nice, has a nice deep rumble to it...

[ame="http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/strokeThis_07/?action=view&current=fa4f2b41.mp4"]fa4f2b41.mp4 video by strokeThis_07 - Photobucket[/ame]

Have a couple things left; the fan needs removed off the 5.9 pulley and put on this 6.7 pulley, the shroud, tucking some miscellaneous wires, intake, bumper, grille, and the Fleece VGT controller. Then she's ready for her maiden voyage

No idea. You know when you push an injector in and it clicks into place? Well, the 5.9 injectors never really clicked in the 6.7 head.

I don't have a micrometer to measure, but either the bore was slightly small, or the injector got hung up on those steps inside the bore, where the bore gets smaller. Best guess I have.

Back