2003 5.9----->6.7 swap

'strokeThis_'07

Alright, figure I'll get this started.

Back in July I apparently lost the oil pump in my 03 and threw a rod. Right away I knew I wanted to do a 6.7 swap, and the time has come.

Bought an 07 6.7 from a salvage yard today with 107,000 on it. 90 day guarantee and it's been run for a half hour, so should be good to go when it arrives Monday or Tuesday.

Figured I'd make a thread, because there seems to still be some misinformation and mystery on this swap, even thought it's been done plenty I'm sure.

So far the list I have:

Fleece VNT controller
5" Flo-Pro exhaust
S&B intake
Edge Insite CTS
Intake horn
EGR cooler block off plates
3.5" intercooler tube
CCV vent (may delete the filter as well)
ARP headstuds (seem to be sold out everywhere I looked)

Still need to source the horn, plates, tube and CCV vent, but hope to have those ordered tomorrow.

Hope to have a fair amount of pics to post soon. Gotta roll the Satellite on the rotisserie out where the Challenger is and clear up a bay in the heated garage. I'm not playing out in the cold and snow.

More to follow....

I wouldn't buy anything on your list except for maybe the head studs.

Use the 03 Valve cover, intake horn/plate, and exhaust manifold.

Buy a 66mm turbo and a Smarty, and make way more power than the combo you had on you list.

Truck is stock, and basically going to stay that way. Everything is ordered (except headstuds). The horn and stuff is basically to clean up underhood; I want a clean swap, not a stock intake horn with the throttle valve and holes covered, for instance. Sometime in the future it will get a larger single and more fuel, but that's far down the line I think.

Truck is stock, and basically going to stay that way. Everything is ordered (except headstuds). The horn and stuff is basically to clean up underhood; I want a clean swap, not a stock intake horn with the throttle valve and holes covered, for instance. Sometime in the future it will get a larger single and more fuel, but that's far down the line I think.

I'm saying use the 03 intake horn and plate, no need to buy an aftermarket intake. Use the 03 exhaust manifold, no need for a controller or block off plates. And use the stock valve cover and rocker (which your going to have to anyway) and not fool with the filter.

The money you will spend on buying the stuff in your list you could have a way more powerful, reliable, quieter, cleaner engine.

stock turbo's on 6.7's are very very turd like... ditch it while you can...

On those recommending to switch to 5.9 plenum I disagree, an aftermarket one on the 6.7 plenum is way more bueno since it's a good size larger rectangle vs the 5.9 square. Stick with 6.7 plenum (grid heater deleted if climate can afford it), 6.7 rail and feed lines/crossovers to 5.9 of your ECM model year injectors. IIRC 03-04CR pistons and 6.7 pistons have very similar bowls so you should be able to get away with injectors and control from your model year no problem.

Also a 366/73 (silver bullet equiv or 66/73-.90T4) spools/drives like a 62 on similar modified 5.9's... no replacement for displacement! I DD my S475 smoke free

On those recommending to switch to 5.9 plenum I disagree, an aftermarket one on the 6.7 plenum is way more bueno since it's a good size larger rectangle vs the 5.9 square. Stick with 6.7 plenum (grid heater deleted if climate can afford it), 6.7 rail and feed lines/crossovers to 5.9 of your ECM model year injectors.

Dollar per HP going to an aftermarket 6.7 plenum setup is not worth it, put the money towards the turbo IMO.

Man, y'all are quenching a guys excitement!:hehe:

I'm under the impression that the rail and lines, basically the entire injection system on a 6.7 is improved over that of the 5.9. I may be mis-informed here, but that's my thinking on keeping the 6.7 stuff over the stock 5.9 stuff (minus the stock 03 injectors, which I seem to be stuck running unless I go standalone; ain't happening on this truck).

I'm somewhat aware of the VNT, although it's still slightly better than the HE341 that came stock on the 03, correct? With a possible added benefit of the exhaust brake; we'll see how it goes. I figure if I don't like it, I can sell it.

This is also somewhat of a testbed if you will for the eventual engine swap to a billet-rodded 6.7 on my 07; while I 100% want to run triples on the 07, that probably ain't happening for awhile. So I've been kicking around a variable single (maybe HE551, or Garrett, something along those lines) or a single S400-frame. I could be off on this to, I'm far from an expert.

The 6.7 rail and lines are larger, thats all. You have a a larger volume of pressurized fuel which is only a problem with a pump that cant keep up... so its like a band-aid for the real problem if you are trying to keep RP up. Besides, you said this wouldn't be a high HP truck anyway. Therefore I wouldn't worry about the fuel rail lines and intake plenum. Lots of guy making 1000hp on a stock plenum, no matter how big it funnels out to, it is still going through the same inter-cooler tubes...

I am not a fan of the stock 6.7 turbos as they are out of efficiency range past stock fueling. That is why I say I wouldn't even waste the money on the controller, intake, and plates to make the stock turbo work. Just a Smarty and 66mm turbo will prob make a cool 500hp with room to grow. The parts in your list might make a hot 450hp risking your new motor to a melt down and adding 80psi of drive pressure, just hoping the turbo doesn't explode.

Like Krazeeun said, a 66 lights like a 62 on a 6.7, nothing to be afraid of.

I'm doing a similar swap. I have an 04.5 standard cab 2wd that I'm putting a 6.7 into.
I'm an using the 6.7 long block, injection pump, and crossover tubes other than that I'm using all 5.9 parts and 03 04 injectors . Running a second Gen manifold with an ED s475 turbo with a 2.6 cover. Was told with the 6.7 you really need to watch the torque and backpressure that a small turbo can make.
Todd at t&c diesel recommended just staying with the 5.9 rail for my application since the pressure relief valve on the 6.7 rail is a little more problematic if you up the rail pressure.

Running head studs, F1 helix 2 cam, F1 springs, and Smarty. Hoping for a 500 to 550 HP daily driver / play truck. Should be fun.

He's already got the plenum/rail, all he needs is the intake horn which is an easy $200 if you shop around

He has already got the 03 stuff as well, and can save that money for something that actually makes power. Take $300 and have the nozzles honed and make 100+hp instead of trying to look cool and make 5.

that's it SpeedShift, let's fight! lol

Benefit to using 6.7 plenum is able to use 6.7 rail and lines. Side by side the 6.7 lines are much larger and less flimsy than 5.9 lines, no stiffener/braces either. 6.7 FPRV is very very easy to shim to hold higher pressure and I've heard no problems at all with using it. Rail pressure sensor is a direct swap.

All said & done 6.7 rail plenum w/aftermarket horn > 5.9 counter parts and an aftermarket intake horn is worth every bit of $200 for function over form, especially if you've ever seen the innards of a 6.7 stock horn.

I say leave the 5.9 in them, spend the money that would be used on a 6.7 to get the head ported some, a good camshaft and a great turbo.

that's it SpeedShift, let's fight! lol

Benefit to using 6.7 plenum is able to use 6.7 rail and lines. Side by side the 6.7 lines are much larger and less flimsy than 5.9 lines, no stiffener/braces either. 6.7 FPRV is very very easy to shim to hold higher pressure and I've heard no problems at all with using it. Rail pressure sensor is a direct swap.

All said & done 6.7 rail plenum w/aftermarket horn > 5.9 counter parts and an aftermarket intake horn is worth every bit of $200 for function over form, especially if you've ever seen the innards of a 6.7 stock horn.

LOL Its not fight man, just two different opinions.

What is supposed to be the point of having larger lines? Do you think 5.9 lines are restrictive, and going to the larger lines he will receive any type of benefit besides being able to say "hey, see those lines? look cool huh?" LOL
"See that intake there? pretty nice looking, huh?"

The 5.9 rail requires no shims, so money saved on his part... again. In my opinion I would not add anymore RP past stock anyway, at his power level. There is no need to risk blowing injectors for couple HP.

There is a level for every mod, and an intake horn isnt something that becomes a restriction until the upper HP ranges. The money can be spent better on something else. Its like taking a stock truck and throwing on dual pumps, billet rods, monotherms, 71/GT55 twins, nitrous, and running no tune and stock injectors.... "hey everybody, check out all the crap I have, it looks cool but really doesnt do anything. Sweet huh?"

If I was the OP I would look at it this way, (granted you take our advice and replace the stock VGT with a nice 66mm) Do I want to spend $200 and make 5 more HP and look cool, or spend $300 and get 100HP and make more power?

So, do you want to look cool or make power?

Back