Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Well looks like my cat cooked down again. Coming back across Nevada today all of a sudden started shaking and light grey smoke started rolling out from underneath. Hit the shoulder right away and sure enough smokes coming out of the dipstick tube and the blow by tube. And it's missing to beat hell.

I limped it another mile down the shoulder to a rest area. And started looking it over. #5 injectors completely dead not firing at all. Oil looked ok and coolant is clean. Pulled the valve covers and fired it up hoping to see compression coming from around the injector but it looks like it's coming up from the oil drain holes under the cam. Checked injector wiring which looked good. And everything in the valve train looked good.

I'm figuring the injector went and overfueled and cooked the piston but does anyone have any other ideas? Just overhauled it 3 weeks, 12k miles ago. Egt's didn't go over 1100 post turbo and coolant never went over 120° today but it was 100° outside. Stock overhaul running a 550/1850 file, marine cam, stage 1 turbo. Nothing fancy, no check engine light, no codes.

Well looks like my cat cooked down again. Coming back across Nevada today all of a sudden started shaking and light grey smoke started rolling out from underneath. Hit the shoulder right away and sure enough smokes coming out of the dipstick tube and the blow by tube. And it's missing to beat hell.

I limped it another mile down the shoulder to a rest area. And started looking it over. #5 injectors completely dead not firing at all. Oil looked ok and coolant is clean. Pulled the valve covers and fired it up hoping to see compression coming from around the injector but it looks like it's coming up from the oil drain holes under the cam. Checked injector wiring which looked good. And everything in the valve train looked good.

I'm figuring the injector went and overfueled and cooked the piston but does anyone have any other ideas? Just overhauled it 3 weeks, 12k miles ago. Egt's didn't go over 1100 post turbo and coolant never went over 120° today but it was 100° outside. Stock overhaul running a 550/1850 file, marine cam, stage 1 turbo. Nothing fancy, no check engine light, no codes.

1100 post turbo on a non acert piston?

Thats like 1350-1400 in the manifold, that is bad news for an aluminum skirt.

Man, that’s bad news!
950*-1,100* post turbo is really hot, IMO. We’ve seen 300-400* difference between pre and post turbo. That means you’re looking at a possible egt range of 1,250*-1,500* in the manifold. I tell guys 1,250* pre turbo egt as long as no other fluid temps get outta range. Anything over that better just be a short burst.

Easily handle that, change shift points to performance instead of the usual "economy".

x2 aluminum skirts need to go away.

Well if it’s all stock except a cam he’s either got a boost leak causing heat or a hot injector, both of which helps kill those skirts.

No matter how bad of a day you're having, at least you're not this guy.
16f079c06014550111566775a1a7e20f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Little update, this morning I stuck an o-ring in the dipstick and bungie strapped it into the tube so it wouldn't blow oil out and made a simple catch bottle for the blow by tube so I could begin the limp home. Putts down the road for a little while with that injector shut off in the ecm but every once and awhile I'd cycle it back on to see if anything changed. Went maybe 30 miles and it cleared right up and was running like normal. Went to pull off and into a truck stop 40 miles further down the interstate and after sitting for 30 seconds at the light injector started missing again and truck went back to smoking.

Any ideas on things to check? I'm thinking the injector is loading the cylinder up at idle. I'm sure damage is already done and I'm loaded with produce so I need to keep going and get back home so I can get the trailer empty before I can stop to really check things out but any suggestions would be great

Little update, this morning I stuck an o-ring in the dipstick and bungie strapped it into the tube so it wouldn't blow oil out and made a simple catch bottle for the blow by tube so I could begin the limp home. Putts down the road for a little while with that injector shut off in the ecm but every once and awhile I'd cycle it back on to see if anything changed. Went maybe 30 miles and it cleared right up and was running like normal. Went to pull off and into a truck stop 40 miles further down the interstate and after sitting for 30 seconds at the light injector started missing again and truck went back to smoking.

Any ideas on things to check? I'm thinking the injector is loading the cylinder up at idle. I'm sure damage is already done and I'm loaded with produce so I need to keep going and get back home so I can get the trailer empty before I can stop to really check things out but any suggestions would be great

I think you have it narrowed down, I drove mine with 4 Cyl cut turbos unhooked to keep the blow-by smoke down.

Pull the head and let us know.

I know nothing about this truck, just a truck redone by a friend that normally does hot rod's. I know it was used to haul horses is all.
d1348d1b70866f7d36e050108ac22b02.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know nothing about this truck, just a truck redone by a friend that normally does hot rod's. I know it was used to haul horses is all.
d1348d1b70866f7d36e050108ac22b02.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If it came from Indiana I can assure you it was a farm truck for the previous 2 owners I knew, one in Ohio and one IN. Before that it was owned buy a guy from north eastern PA/NY area maybe. Has a black W9 glider now.
062230bc7713cb798415dd09c501e6e5.jpg

So after driving it and watching it a little bit more I'm thinking the ecm is the issue. No matter what it won't fuel number 5 when going slow (mph not rpm) and if I cycle #5 on manually while driving it might run fine for 10 feet or 60 miles but then starts acting goofy. Also the altitude adjustment flickers on off on et a lot. Pressure sensor output stays steady though. It does change but doesn't bounce around. Pretty much the exact same thing happened in june. Had be running fine/normal and then all of a sudden I was struggling to keep it cool and it was slow to cool down.

Am I right in think the ecm had issues and it's randomly over fueling?

Back