turning the barrels?

sweet! so do you turn them on the truck or on a bench? Is it something you can do with the engine running? Do you just turn them till they stop or can you go too far?

I have been curious about this for awhile. I don't necessarily want to do it (not yet :evil), but curious about how you would do it on the truck. Especially after reading about Brett and Wrongway doing it.
I twist em on the truck also........you just can't be scared. And I have had no issues with the one's that I have done. Gary
Do you have a probe in each exhaust runner? Do you loosen slightly and turn while running and try to achieve a smooth idle?
I would be curious to know how it would work on a 215 horse pump.

No, I didn't try yet. Do you know for a fact I will fail?

I don't know for a fact that you will fail but I know for a fact that I would never try it because I've seen these pumps being benched and I know how much of a pita they can be to tune, especially if they have worn parts.

well, I am not going to try on my good pump and engine but I have another in an old truck that I might try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I will just place it in with my educational expenses.

What is the point of balancing a pump any how?

All cylinders have slightly different conditions like temperature cylinder #5 and #6 run hotter than #1.

We know that there is cylinder head port differences on #1 and #6 on the 24v so those ports have less air flow than the rest.

My point is what is the point in having all barrels output the same fuel volume being some intake ports flow better than others, and some are getting different temperature air. All cylinders have variation. It seems to me that if it is possible it would be best to tune each barrel for each cylinders needs.

I knew old marine engines (with invidual pump for every cylinder) were turned buy EGT.

They ether add or reduce fuel to get equal EGT with constant load, besically try and error method.

If you have 6 egt probes and you can run in constant load, then just do it.:evil

Maybe you could rig up 6 short fuel lines and have them dump into graduated cylinders and turn the motor over with the starter. Of course then you'd have to rig up some sort of injectors and probably burn up a starter in the process.

Seems like EGT's might get you close. Maybe someone could drill a stock "test" manifold with 6 egt probes and a data logger/ big display setup. By the time you bought all of the parts, you could pay a shop to build a tricked out pump with precise flow and a few internal goodies.

Maybe you could rig up 6 short fuel lines and have them dump into graduated cylinders and turn the motor over with the starter. Of course then you'd have to rig up some sort of injectors and probably burn up a starter in the process.

Didn't I say that on page 1? LOL

I think the better way would be to build some type of bracket that you could attach an electric motor to the pump shaft if you want to do it on the truck. The biggest issue would probably be room though if you do it that way.

Seems like EGT's might get you close. Maybe someone could drill a stock "test" manifold with 6 egt probes and a data logger/ big display setup. By the time you bought all of the parts, you could pay a shop to build a tricked out pump with precise flow and a few internal goodies.

It would probably get you close, but remember that the typical thermocouples used in an automotive pyrometer setup are shielded and slow to react. Couple that with an automotive style governor and I think it may be like hitting a moving target.

What is the point of balancing a pump any how?

All cylinders have slightly different conditions like temperature cylinder #5 and #6 run hotter than #1.

We know that there is cylinder head port differences on #1 and #6 on the 24v so those ports have less air flow than the rest.

My point is what is the point in having all barrels output the same fuel volume being some intake ports flow better than others, and some are getting different temperature air. All cylinders have variation. It seems to me that if it is possible it would be best to tune each barrel for each cylinders needs.

Hey go for it! I mean really, there is not that much to tuning a pump, the pros have only been doing it forever!

And these trucks are running just fine after you guys do this? I just can't beleve its that easy.

Hey it has to be simple...at least after reading this thread, right?

Hahaha well im just wondering it sounds fun but really its got to be alittle more complex then that. I just cant beleve its that easy without f****n something up

Hey go for it! I mean really, there is not that much to tuning a pump, the pros have only been doing it forever!

Hey it has to be simple...at least after reading this thread, right?

Well when you make posts with this sarcasm included it makes me wonder why you are even on this board. Apparently you are not here to educate yourself if you are scared of learning on an old pump and engine. Face it, you will never be a pump pro. You might want to think about picking up the latest issue of diesel power and finding the Banks advertisement to get bolt-on parts for your ride.

Well when you make posts with this sarcasm included it makes me wonder why you are even on this board. Apparently you are not here to educate yourself if you are scared of learning on an old pump and engine. Face it, you will never be a pump pro. You might want to think about picking up the latest issue of diesel power and finding the Banks advertisement to get bolt-on parts for your ride.

:thankyou2: But, I had the fortunate experience of watching someone else try it on the truck and fail! Hence this previous post.
Why bump? Did you try and fail??? :what:

:thankyou2: But, I had the fortunate experience of watching someone else try it on the truck and fail! Hence this previous post.

Well then that changes this scenario, I apologize for being rude in my last post, but why didn't you share earlier in the thread what you had seen, what happened, your opinion on why it did not work, ext...

Instead you ask a question "did you try and fail?" If you knew It would fail, why did you not explain why and what happened with your experience.

If what you are saying is true, then you were just waiting for me to ruin my pump apparently....

Back