turning the barrels?

hell i may try it on my 180 pumped truck. worst case, i screw up the balance and i have to pull it off and send it to a pump shop.

If you mark the starting point of the barrels with an engraver or something that won't change over time. Then adjust them equally I'll bet you could get some good results with checking each cylinder with a temp gun as you went along. But as stated before you would need a constant steady load. If it doesn't work out just put them back where your original marks were. Nothing tried nothing gained right.

Just because one guy tried it and had bad luck doesn't mean everyone is going to. How many guys have put turbos on that didn't work. Some times you just gotta try sh$t out. I say do it and let us know how it works.

If someone does this please post your results because i would like to know how it works out. Schied thinks im crazy for even thinkin about it but i want to know how it works out.

If someone does this please post your results because i would like to know how it works out. Schied thinks im crazy for even thinkin about it but i want to know how it works out.

add another pump guy that thinks your crazy...

I invite any of you who HAVE racked the barrels on the truck to ship a pump to our shop...You can come watch and see just how unequal they flow...

For those of you who think pump shops have top secret info and are robbing your money, come up with a better argument. Or ask some specific questions on here and I'll try my best to explain them.

-Seth
Pump goober

I do fully agree it would be best to put it on a bench. But what can be hurt besides the pump not being completely balanced (i'm asking because i'm really not sure)? I mean how many stock pumps off trucks are balanced equally.

I do fully agree it would be best to put it on a bench. But what can be hurt besides the pump not being completely balanced (i'm asking because i'm really not sure)? I mean how many stock pumps off trucks are balanced equally.

The biggest thing would be the weakest cylinder. It would run significantly hotter cylinder temperatures than the others. This would prove to greatly shorten the life of the engine.

I've seen stock pumps off trucks with 300k miles still pump within 10cc's at the max fuel spec. All the b&p's will wear evenly, because they are being fed the same quality fuel, while the lower end of the pump is being fed the same oil its entire life.

Once you change the fuel setting from cylinder to cylinder (rack the barrel) you are completely in the dark as to how much fuel each cylinder is supplying.

add another pump guy that thinks your crazy...

I invite any of you who HAVE racked the barrels on the truck to ship a pump to our shop...You can come watch and see just how unequal they flow...

For those of you who think pump shops have top secret info and are robbing your money, come up with a better argument. Or ask some specific questions on here and I'll try my best to explain them.

-Seth
Pump goober

:thankyou2::clap::clap:

I am amazed at how many feel that they know more than the pump shops.
Wonder if they have ever seen a truck who had a home tuned pump that had a lean cylinder and it melted down?.

On a bench... Isn't the flow measured per 1000 strokes?

?

It can be measured by any number of strokes, but it is always stated assuming per thousand strokes. So, when someone says their pump was set at 500cc, it is per thousand strokes.

When we calibrate high performance pumps, we will take either a "100" or "200" shot. The reason for this is most test stands only have 200cc test tubes. So in a 100 shot, a 50cc delivery equates 500cc total delivery.

Clear as mud?

I don't think that i know more than the pump shops, just trying to learn more about the internal workings of these pumps. CTD has given some good info as to why it should be benched where others just saying it won't work but not knowing why. This is all pretty good info, i just wish there was a pump shop closer to me that I could go check out and maybe learn a little more.

Seth knows his stuff. My 160hp pump flowing 540cc speaks for it. Truck runs damn good now.

What kind of power are you making? 540cc's would require quite a bit of air i'm thinking! Plan to get with Seth soon to do a 180 for me!

What kind of power are you making? 540cc's would require quite a bit of air i'm thinking! Plan to get with Seth soon to do a 180 for me!

No idea Nick. I just got it running again this weekend. Let's just say I do need more air. It's set at 400cc at 40psi right now. I'm looking into a setup like what you had with an S4XX turbo as a single.

No idea Nick. I just got it running again this weekend. Let's just say I do need more air. It's set at 400cc at 40psi right now. I'm looking into a setup like what you had with an S4XX turbo as a single.

Cool deal man! Good luck!

Cool deal man! Good luck!

Thanks. I'll need it. The trans seems to be hold fine for now with the few launches I've done from 13psi. I have a feeling my luck will be running out so Garmon might be getting a call back here soon.

Thanks. I'll need it. The trans seems to be hold fine for now with the few launches I've done from 13psi. I have a feeling my luck will be running out so Garmon might be getting a call back here soon.

Hear he builds some tuff transmissions. I am incredibly happy with my Goerend and his customer service/converter swap policy is second to none!:bow:

Well mine have been cranked and never been benched on a stand and did 638hp with stock 181's

Still trying to figure out how your truck was the only one from Saturday whose numbers were better than what was previously run.Everyone else was alot lower than what they had run prior and they were complaining.Even Eric's CR was way off what it had done previously on your old jet.

Still trying to figure out how your truck was the only one from Saturday whose numbers were better than what was previously run.Everyone else was alot lower than what they had run prior and they were complaining.Even Eric's CR was way off what it had done previously on your old jet.

I believe Brett put a good bit more timing in his truck!

My truck dynoed 598hp right before I sold the dyno and it was at 18.5* of timing I though it was at 20 but must of timed it to 18 when I put in the 160 short block, but found it was @ 18.5 while advancing it to 24* right before the dyno day. I also had a bad exhaust leak in between the Hx40 and hot pipe I fixed last week as well. And it was 72* Sat instead of +95* and higher humidity of the last dyno run.

Did you run UC or STD on Lloyds dyno? And was it with any load or just Inertia?

I must say this is prob the best my truck has ever ran since I've had it 24v & 12v. Not the most power but is well rounded with spool up, power & EGT's

Back