Photo of a H2 Cam compared to 04.5 stocker

Wow...

I do a lot more question asking on here than trouble shooting, unlimited knowledge: that sarcrastic crap fits you better than me. Ya i've built all out race engines for many years, 15+ a year, and all my special order cams are mirror image or polished out of the box, but i understand its not apples to apples, these are big inch gassers and thier rollers; both solids and hyd.'s. The rollers typ. are always that way, where sometimes the flat tappets are more unfinished looking due to the parkinazation [sp] process. The begining point was just agreeing with someone that the cam was rough looking and a weaker design compaired to the stocker. I have lots to learn yet on this ol 5.9 and learn more everyday from yourself and many others, maybe i shouldnt have even commented??? But i did. I get my feathers ruffeled easy and you do as well and i respect that. Sorry. teddeybear: Believe Me I am a DOER not a talker, this had nothing to do with you... Forrest I have no idea what you were talking about, not 1 word in your intire post, just like tb it had nothing to do with you either. You can offer good advise once in a while and i thank you for selling me those DV's that time again, but your famous for lots of short smart ass remarks when you should do the same as i should have and kept your comment to yourself if it dont pertain or help a question or thread. Just speaking my mind thats all, no dispresct meant here. Im on here to learn and once in a blue moon help if i feel i can. Ive got this ol heap of mine prob. close to capable to running in the high 9's or low 10's, theres not just tons of folks doing this right now, at least down hear where im at, its lots of fun and the crowds love the diesel power thats for sure! Were mostly all here for the same reasons, and thanks again to every one thats helped get this far! Again sorry for anything said on my part that i should have just kept to myself. Ryan

Sorry for the quick little high jack, but I was wondering what a Cummins cam install normal runs Labor wise???

What's the average dollar amount charged in labor for a complete install?? I just don't wanna get taken when I decide to have mine done... Thanks

Sorry for the quick little high jack, but I was wondering what a Cummins cam install normal runs Labor wise???

What's the average dollar amount charged in labor for a complete install?? I just don't wanna get taken when I decide to have mine done... Thanks

I think a fair price is some where around one case and a quart. If you finish both you'll probably be dealing with one of those incomplete half installs.:hehe:

It took 7 hours to do a cam install and springs on my truck.

Narrower lobes? It is a flat tappet cam is it not? Think of how a flat tappet contacts the lobe and it will make sense in adding lift.

You mean advice like this smoke???? You think the width of the lobe has any thing to do with lift? :bang :hehe: And obviously a wider lobe has no problem rotating the tappet, at least as wide as my stock cam anyway, as the cam shows, nice wear pattern, and the tappets all as well showed a nice very slight indication of rotation.

Now that billet cam is sweet....could go to war with that

:Cheer:

Guess what, when you look at a cam lobe from the END of the cam, hight minus width = lift, when you look at the side of a cam, as in my photo width = the contact area of the cam with the tappet.
:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

God are you the only one who can't see what I'm demonstrating in the photo?

Even the "Don" himself replied and knew fully what I meant, Now that I seen that billet cam of his, at this point I might as well just hang on untill he'll ship me one of those. Bling factor and all....

:Cheer:

I didn't realize teddybear was being sarcastic... I was responding in awe...

then he said he was being sarcastic, then I said my sarcasm detector broke because I was in a foul mood because I'm having to go offshore again :eek:

I don't have any problem with anyone on this board. I know I come off as a smartass sometimes, but that's just how I am I guess :eek:

I didn't realize teddybear was being sarcastic... I was responding in awe...

then he said he was being sarcastic, then I said my sarcasm detector broke because I was in a foul mood because I'm having to go offshore again :eek:

I don't have any problem with anyone on this board. I know I come off as a smartass sometimes, but that's just how I am I guess :eek:

Its just how we both are Forrest :hehe: but i still say im hated more than you are :rockwoot:

It really depends. I've seen anywhere from $200 to help you out all the way to $3000 with the cam included. On average the going rate is $600-$800 for most shops.

Our Flate Rate is $600

You hit the nail dead on the head there!!

"The pointy triangle lobe" thats it Man, you are so right.

Couple of things happened on the CR: The duration went way down and the lift came up. Especially on the exhaust.

Would that be an emissions decision? to have more lift then duration?

Lets go back and look at the first post. Have a close look at the factory cam lobe. The lobe has a step in it. This step is on all the B series cams from 94 and up for the Dodge and most other engines as well.

When the factory cams are cast, the iron is poured into a mold that is chilled/very cold in the lobe area. This allows the cam to have a hard and wear resistant surface area on the lobes and still retain a softer less brittle shaft and bearing area. This keeps the main shaft from being too brittle and prone to cracking.

Simple. Simple.

But, like most things there is a trade off on the mix of metals used in any iron alloy. The ductile iron used on the OEM Cummins cam uses more Chromiun in the alloy to do a couple of things: Control the depth of hardening and brittleness that occurs when the iron is poured into the chilled mold and make a more durable material. Controlling the hardness depth is done to help the hard area from pitting and chipping pieces out of the hardened lobe. The hardness only needs to be thick enough to keep the lobe from wearing down and thats it.

Trying to grind a performance cam profile on those little triangle lobes gets down into the softer regions of the lobe. Past the step. Past the hard layer of what is basically white iron produced when it is chilled quickly from liquid iron. This is why so many regrinds rub the lobes flat.

A quick Rockwell test will show the softness is remarkably low after even a mild regrind. Cummins remanufactures all their engines, with remaned rods, cranks, etc, but never uses a reground camshaft. They are always new.

Don hope this helps your discussion!
12V Stock:
INT: 159° .235” Lift
EX: 204° .263” Lift
102 LDA

24V Stock.
INT: 159° .235” Lift
EX: 206° .297” Lift
107.5 LDA

24V 3rd gen.
INT: 163° .237” Lift
EX: 191° .299” Lift
98.5 LDA

24v 6.7L
Int. .237” lift
Exh. 299” lift

Lets go back and look at the first post. Have a close look at the factory cam lobe. The lobe has a step in it. This step is on all the B series cams from 94 and up for the Dodge and most other engines as well.

When the factory cams are cast, the iron is poured into a mold that is chilled/very cold in the lobe area. This allows the cam to have a hard and wear resistant surface area on the lobes and still retain a softer less brittle shaft and bearing area. This keeps the main shaft from being too brittle and prone to cracking.

Simple. Simple.

But, like most things there is a trade off on the mix of metals used in any iron alloy. The ductile iron used on the OEM Cummins cam uses more Chromiun in the alloy to do a couple of things: Control the depth of hardening and brittleness that occurs when the iron is poured into the chilled mold and make a more durable material. Controlling the hardness depth is done to help the hard area from pitting and chipping pieces out of the hardened lobe. The hardness only needs to be thick enough to keep the lobe from wearing down and thats it.

Trying to grind a performance cam profile on those little triangle lobes gets down into the softer regions of the lobe. Past the step. Past the hard layer of what is basically white iron produced when it is chilled quickly from liquid iron. This is why so many regrinds rub the lobes flat.

A quick Rockwell test will show the softness is remarkably low after even a mild regrind. Cummins remanufactures all their engines, with remaned rods, cranks, etc, but never uses a reground camshaft. They are always new.

LOL!!!! Since you can't explain the dynamics of the Harding test, I will.. Your cams have a 58 c-scale, a stock untouched Cummins Cam has a 58 c-scale, a reground Cam (slightly or heavy profile) has a 58 C-SCALE. Now, Don did you want to inform the consumer why this is, or do you want to continue w/ the masquerades? One other thing, why can't you Identify the actual CNC cam process by it's correct Name?

Boy, the magic fuel sure has made me smrte, smrat, smourt, smart:hehe:

We've indented regrinds here that have been in the 38 Rockwell range. Sad. At that number the tappets plow through the lobes like butter. Thats an exception though. Most mild ones are still sub 45. I suspect the overwhelming numbers of regrind failures are the result of softy lobes from a grinder that wants those lobe centers wider or the lift cranked up. Funny to see those base circles at 38 rockwell, the ramps at 42 and the nose at under 50.

The grinders that try to induction harden those Cummins cams back to spec are pissin up a rope. Just an opinion, of course.

Don.
Quit wasting time online and get those billet cams ready for shipping.

RonA

We've indented regrinds here that have been in the 38 Rockwell range. Sad. At that number the tappets plow through the lobes like butter. Thats an exception though. Most mild ones are still sub 45. I suspect the overwhelming numbers of regrind failures are the result of softy lobes from a grinder that wants those lobe centers wider or the lift cranked up. Funny to see those base circles at 38 rockwell, the ramps at 42 and the nose at under 50.

The grinders that try to induction harden those Cummins cams back to spec are pissin up a rope. Just an opinion, of course.

Ok, let's come clean…..the consumers still are waiting :hehe:

Back