Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Don't know... I don't know the actual reasons as to why the 444's are so sought after other than they are runnin animals. I like the truck period though. I need to do some research on the 444...
He has already come down on the price. He is down to 11,500.

They've got cool chrome intake tubes. Theyre also mvt motors, which is good and bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

They've got cool chrome intake tubes. Theyre also mvt motors, which is good and bad.

You and a couple other people make me feel real stupid when you type in this thread.

You and a couple other people make me feel real stupid when you type in this thread.

Mechanical valve timing. Not real sure I've heard a better sounding jake or straights than the '87 Pete(444) we had pulling a hopper bottom! It's a sound you never forget or get tired of!

Also called stc. It uses oil pressure to step the timing, the plungers like to stick. They're not bad if you don't mind cleaning the plunger every now and again. They're the low flow cooling system too, but you won't find too many that haven't been converted to standard flow.

I've never really heard that they were desired, most guys I've talked to try to avoid them.

Also called stc. It uses oil pressure to step the timing, the plungers like to stick. They're not bad if you don't mind cleaning the plunger every now and again. They're the low flow cooling system too, but you won't find too many that haven't been converted to standard flow.

I've never really heard that they were desired, most guys I've talked to try to avoid them.

The mis-informed want them because of people when they talk about how good they sound! And besides, I've never minded a little white fuel smoke at crankup! It gets my blood pumping and wakes me up! Lmao

I thought the 444 was the motor that single handedly broke Cummins with all the warranty work and is the reason they got the nick name cummapart?

Idk... See I've heard that they will scream with little to no work. But you guys make it sound like I'm an idiot. Lol

Idk... See I've heard that they will scream with little to no work. But you guys make it sound like I'm an idiot. Lol

They're not much different than a bciv, the stc control can be locked down to solid timing which basically just turns it into a regular cummins. The stc isn't that bad, I know a guy with a 475 twin turbo stc motor that's around 700 HP with Bruce's parts. He runs it everyday heavy hauling.

Does the price sound bad to you guys?
I see at least another 5k putting it back on the road from what I've read and such.

I think you are mistaking MVT which controls the cam followers with air pressure, with STC which uses oil to adjust injection timing.

They can be made to run, but the STC is notorious for causing problems, and replacement injectors make an electronic injector look cheap. They can be switched to non STC, but the replacement set of injectors you would need have to have the top stop nut set to work with the injector lift that these have over a normal big cam.

That's an early built truck to have a 444 in it , they were just starting on the big cam 4 in 86, I don't think they had any stc's out that early, the motor would have been black and would have had a factory HT4 holset. I would be running the engine number before taking the guys word.

I think you are mistaking MVT which controls the cam followers with air pressure, with STC which uses oil to adjust injection timing.

They can be made to run, but the STC is notorious for causing problems, and replacement injectors make an electronic injector look cheap. They can be switched to non STC, but the replacement set of injectors you would need have to have the top stop nut set to work with the injector lift that these have over a normal big cam.

Yeah you're right. I guess there was too much scotch between the last time I thought much about mech Cummins and now. I hate putting bad info on the interwebs.

Making some progress on the w900.

null_zps1dacfb59.jpg

Back