Turbochargers for Mods???

Yellow Jacket

What chargers would work good in a big twins, or triple turbo setup for a super stock 4x4 diesel truck?? What are most people running? And I don't just mean 2 HX82's or 3 Hx82's, I've also heard of a S400 and HC5A setups, but what inlet sizes?? Or does anyone know what they run on superstock diesel tractors?? I just want an idea of a starting point for future reference...

Thanks for any help!

3.2 billet wheel hx82 over a 4.3 billet h5c You are talking 5 -7 grand for one and 11 grand for the other. I hope you like to blow money. LOL

Precision turbos is what most tractor pullers use around here i know. A 3.0 turbo for my buddies 466 hot farm tractor was around 4-5 grand i wanna say

Ditto on what Tim said.

I think you would be hard pressed to run a 5" primary from a superstock tractor.

3.2 billet wheel hx82 over a 4.3 billet h5c You are talking 5 -7 grand for one and 11 grand for the other. I hope you like to blow money. LOL

I have heard of a hx60 billet 3.15 wheel and either a 4.25 HC5A or a bigger HX82... 4.25 HC5A cast can be bought for $3,750 new..... And a used billet HX60 can be picked up for under $3,000...

If I know what to get it gives me a year to find it used.

How much cfm you looking for?

I want to make at least 1800hp, but more in the ballpark of 2000hp... I've heard lbs per minute x 10= approx. hp.... So i would need a 200lb/min charger for the low pressure, correct??? Which multiplied by .069= 2900cfm??? I don't know if you just figure the LP turbo or if some of the cfm from the HP turbo helps on top end......

What fuel system are you going with? Sorry I haven't had time to reply to your PM.

No problem, I want to stick with the common rail system. But, I also don't want to spin 7000+ rpm like you stated you were gonna do, unless I have to, then I guess we might have to give that a shot?!? Maybe what I wanna do can't be done, that would explain why you are going with a P-pumped setup...

I want to make at least 1800hp, but more in the ballpark of 2000hp... I've heard lbs per minute x 10= approx. hp.... So i would need a 200lb/min charger for the low pressure, correct??? Which multiplied by .069= 2900cfm??? I don't know if you just figure the LP turbo or if some of the cfm from the HP turbo helps on top end......

No problem, I want to stick with the common rail system. But, I also don't want to spin 7000+ rpm like you stated you were gonna do, unless I have to, then I guess we might have to give that a shot?!? Maybe what I wanna do can't be done, that would explain why you are going with a P-pumped setup...

2000hp...low rpm...spooling large charger??? :aiwebs_029: :what:

2000hp...low rpm...spooling large charger??? :aiwebs_029: :what:

I never said low rpm....but some of the dodges claim they are only turning 6000 rpm, and I don't know how much they are punched out but I guessed 375ci... and with a 405ci Dmax I can, in theory, but correct me if i'm wrong, move the same cfm as a 375ci cummins at 6000rpm at 5600rpm with my Dmax...
Maybe the Mods are not telling me the truth about the rpm's they are turning... but I was planning on leaving the line at aroung 5000-5500 and running 5800-6000 through the middle of the track. Maybe the Dodges can get a better CFM flow out of the cylinder head so they don't need the rpm a Dmax will need...I don't know and this is all stuff I am trying to figure out!?!

Any thoughts on my logic???

Like I said, any help is MUCH appreciated!!!

I will also probably be running a SoCal stroker crank, which will put me at about 430-435ci with my current bore. But, I want to leave as much material in the cylinder walls as possible.

I started this thread to see what kind of charger sizes it takes to make 1800-2000hp. Now I am wondering if it is even possible for a Dmax with a CR fuel system to turn the kind of chargers it will take. I don't know what kind of RPM it will take so all input helps.

I have talked to a couple engineers that I work with and they want to know the volumetric efficiency and have to guess at that, and they don't think it is possible, but I told them cummins engines are doing it and they find that hard to believe also....so they told me to ask the guys already doing it how its done, which you never get the answer that you want because it seems like no one wants to let the cat out of the bag.

I know it would be cheaper and maybe/probably stronger to build a cummins, but that is what everyone does....I want to see something different "compete" at this level of pulling, but I don't know if its a fear of it working or not even being "feasibly possible", or if no one thinks its worth it.

I don't really think anyone with $100k's of R&D will let exactly what you need to know slip out of the bag without some sort of compensation. Your best bet is to contact Schied's or another one of the component tractor builders and leave them with a blank check as they make educated guesses with your money (AKA R&D). My first guess is $75k to tell you the fuel system is not capable at the RPM level you should run. As always, YMMV.

an 82 with an 4.25 comp and a g trim turbine as your primary and an 80 with a 3.4 comp and e trim turbine as your secondary should provide the air. now if you can turn it is another story.

cubic inch wise I know that the mods still running the cast blocks are for the most part at stock cubic inches. in fact several are running 6.7l blocks with sleeves to bring them back to a 4.02 bore size.

Back