Turbochargers for Mods???

Chris must see something in the stock block that makes him think he can make it live at these numbers with the billet mech. injection? And if not, THEN he said he'd go billet. In the mean time, just a stock-cast filled block is what he's claiming to use. Don't think the EDP crew is gonna run billet either. At least not to start.

THEN AGAIN, that could be what they each find to be the bad link? I'm thinking fuel system is NOT going to be the henderance but rather, something else.

Later

With all due respect to the parties using stock blocks...

It's an experiment that might work. But to my way of thinking, when you have $5000 set of rods and pistons, and maybe a $2500+ internally balanced billet crank, potentially exiting the block, that's not something I could ever financially recover from. But if someone's got the ching to try it, I will definitely be interested in how they do.

If the longevity of the Cummins block is limited at that HP level, I have my doubts about this cast V-8 block.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this one!

Hypermax has a CGI 7.3 Powerstroke block. Who wants to try something really cool?!?! :hehe: :hehe:

Even at the pressures of a CR system, the injectors can't be made to deliver enough fuel to support 1800-2000hp? I understand they can't supply an equal volume as mechanical setups but they shouldn't have to with the improved atomization due to the pressure, right? Or are you all saying even with accounting for the decrease in actual volume needed, the volume required is STILL too much even for a trick modified CR injector body?

Little Insight for the most part LMM Injector body.

OK, I agree with you...what I meant was, something proven and shown to work and available today. You could go get some locomotive CR injectors or similar and stuff 'em in there, but the whole thing would be an R&D project. That'd be cool as all get out but the OP would have to be committed to being a pioneer of sorts.

And have deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets.

I think CR will do 2000 HP eventually...it is just going to be a process of thowing out current setups and starting with a clean slate with an injector that will deliver the fuel needed in the time window needed.

Doing all that would make a sigma pump look like a bargain. All that stuff is already available and proven. So whoever is really gonna do a 2000 HP CR setup is going to have to want it just because they want to be the first.

Chris must see something in the stock block that makes him think he can make it live at these numbers with the billet mech. injection? And if not, THEN he said he'd go billet. In the mean time, just a stock-cast filled block is what he's claiming to use. Don't think the EDP crew is gonna run billet either. At least not to start.

THEN AGAIN, that could be what they each find to be the bad link? I'm thinking fuel system is NOT going to be the henderance but rather, something else.

Later

In all honesty Putting the pencil to it I would venture to say that a mech setup would have been very similar in money after all said and done. From what we have seen the cast block is definetley a week point but not the main week point. Faster RPM's could possibly fix this issue we are seeing but we have since changed direction and taking a new approach. Good reason why ours has not seen the track yet. Yes we could have just took a cummins block or had woodruf make us a beatiful billet in line 6 but then again we would be exaclty the same as every other mod truck out there. And Damn Woodruf does some damn nice work!!!!
We where once told you could never get a procharger to work on a diesel.....(page 34 May Issue of Diesel Power proves that wrong)
We are not out to prove a point by being the first or anything to that sort. Just intrigued at the possibility that it might just work for at least one pass down the track.

In all honesty Putting the pencil to it I would venture to say that a mech setup would have been very similar in money after all said and done. From what we have seen the cast block is definetley a week point but not the main week point. Faster RPM's could possibly fix this issue we are seeing but we have since changed direction and taking a new approach. Good reason why ours has not seen the track yet. Yes we could have just took a cummins block or had woodruf make us a beatiful billet in line 6 but then again we would be exaclty the same as every other mod truck out there. And Damn Woodruf does some damn nice work!!!!
We where once told you could never get a procharger to work on a diesel.....(page 34 May Issue of Diesel Power proves that wrong)
We are not out to prove a point by being the first or anything to that sort. Just intrigued at the possibility that it might just work for at least one pass down the track.

I agree...and not this year, and maybe not next I'm gonna try to put a CR Dmax in the Mod class....if it makes a good pass or shows it has the potential, I wouln't be afraid to start looking for someone to make that Billet Dmax block! Or just bolt a P-pump on it...

Yes they do fire faster but not the answer in 2000hp application

Big Money but it can be done

Your getting there. Plan on around 7k for just your injectors.
For your turbo question keep in mind all the cummins in the mod level are 460cc Also keep in mind an In-Line 6 drives a charger completely different.

Is the 460cc injectors rated in cc per min, cc per sec, cc per hr, cc per stroke, cc per rev???? I don't have a clue....

I agree...and not this year, and maybe not next I'm gonna try to put a CR Dmax in the Mod class....if it makes a good pass or shows it has the potential, I wouln't be afraid to start looking for someone to make that Billet Dmax block! Or just bolt a P-pump on it...

Some old Massy Ferguson larger tractor ran V8 diesels. Might look into a pump from there. Cat had good ones too.

Lance

may not be P-style but still mechanical. Evidently you know Ben Miller. Just ask him.
Jus dont think the CR fuel system will ever be able to fuel to 2000hp without a MAJOR redesign. Just my thoughts though

Lance

Why? That limits you to the 3.5mm guide nozzle, and only the rate of lift is improved. A better option would be to stay with the LB7/LLY assembly and it's 4mm guide, you don't need the increased pressure capability of the later design.

Why? That limits you to the 3.5mm guide nozzle, and only the rate of lift is improved. A better option would be to stay with the LB7/LLY assembly and it's 4mm guide, you don't need the increased pressure capability of the later design.

But that limits you to needing an injector driver due to the high voltages need to run those solenoids. The injector driver is the weak link in the LB7/LLY setup. The LBZ/LMM stuff does not need a FICM. This equals better high rpm control. It is not all upside for the LBZ/LMM stuff. I do like the way the older Delphi ECM is structured. Simpler and it can be configured to almost a speed density setup. The Bosch is more complicated and not as user friendly. Going to a Bosch MotorSport ECM and a hybrid injector with older body and newer solenoid might be the hot tick but that would be huge $$$$$

Going to a Bosch MotorSport ECM and a hybrid injector with older body and newer solenoid might be the hot tick but that would be huge $$$$$

For the questions being asked, expensive should be a given.

Last edited:
I know this is Comp D and threads get derailed all the time here, but REALLY?
Start a new thread or do a search.

Back