Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Hope those aren’t stainless.

I thought I was smart and used stainless on the turbo one time. It was super fun cutting them off with a hack saw blade held in vice grips.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Stainless isn't better? We use stainless bolts and nuts on the manifold/turbo's on the 8.3L Cummins here at work and see way less trouble, and they usually come out better if we have to take them apart?

Chris

Stainless isn't better? We use stainless bolts and nuts on the manifold/turbo's on the 8.3L Cummins here at work and see way less trouble, and they usually come out better if we have to take them apart?

Chris
On mine it galled and they turned into permanent lock nuts. Stainless and something is usually fine, stainless/stainless not so much.

Chris

No they’re brittle and are horrible to drill out when they break. We use a $100 carbide bit to chew them out.
On mine it galled and they turned into permanent lock nuts. Stainless and something is usually fine, stainless/stainless not so much.

Same here, stainless is good for some things and fasteners aren’t one of them.

I thought I was smart and used stainless on the turbo one time. It was super fun cutting them off with a hack saw blade held in vice grips.

How do the canadian uphill guys keep em together?

Same as the pullers, liners with sealing rings, o-ring head or like the ones here they don’t blow them that often and when they do they just slide a new gasket in. Copper gaskets are not street friendly.

Chris

OEM SS manifold bolts coated in anti sease as per instructions

Even if you absolutely goober it up with anti seize stainless bolt and nut will still usually gall/weld. Plus keep anything stainless away from aluminum.

Stainless bolts do have their uses.

In the gas world you can make copper head gaskets work on the street. Theres some special considerations though. The nice thing about copper is it can fail but still hold together.

For all out race nothing beats copper.

Cat tried stainless as a replacement as far back as the B model, they weren’t a solution.

As John said the stainless is more brittle, so when the manifold moves on a standard stud it will give some before snapping, the stainless doesn’t do that.

Cummins figured out in the 50s to not use small fastners on the exhaust manifold, cat went backwards, the 1693 had 3 1/2” studs for each port on the exhaust manifold.

I worked as a maintenance tech in a chicken canning plant for awhile before I got my CDL. Doesn't matter what you put on the threads stainless bolt and stainless nut will always seize up. I cut or snapped off more stainless bolts in those 3 years than I care to remember.

Back