NHRDA - Desert Diesel Nationals March 12th

So, are you guys going to let me enter the burn-out contest with my Junker Drag Truck?

I've got a set of 285 BFG's that are due for the "treatment". They have lots of tread but have a few cracks, I'm thinking I can blow them up in the allotted 30 seconds, just need someone to bring some tire chalks so I can spin them at 130 MPH and not smoke the rear brakes.

Why do you need to spin 130mph to do burnouts... doesnt really sound smart to me considering how amy people are going to be there and how much risk there is..

First of all, if you have any concerns of tires blowing out, make sure to let everyone involved know that its a possibility. Safety of everyone working the event is priority!!! A blown tire can kill someone!

Secondly, no tire chocks are allowed. All of our burnout competitions are 100% run what you brung with no assistance.

Last year, I thought they did the burnout contest in the waterbox of the track? It seems like a pretty safe and sane place to do a burnout.

My goal isn't to necessarily blow the tires, I just want to win and it seems like if you've seen one smokey burnout, you've seen them all.

Since safety is a concern, I can be sure to slightly under-inflate the tires so they don't build up extra pressure and possibly explode. I don't want to be the cause of an injury so I'll have to figure out a way to make more smoke without blowing the tires.... (rear wheel mounted bleach sprayer...)

(rear wheel mounted bleach sprayer...)

30 years ago in high school, we used to fill our cars windshield cleaner solvent bottles up with bleach and run an extention to the wheel wells. Push in the windshield cleaner button and pump bleach when needed.:rockwoot:

30 years ago in high school, we used to fill our cars windshield cleaner solvent bottles up with bleach and run an extention to the wheel wells. Push in the windshield cleaner button and pump bleach when needed.:rockwoot:

i used to do that as well, good stuff right there... I dont know if randy has rules against that or not? lol

LOL A buddy used to do that back in the day. Would hit it from like a 50mph roll, so everyone thought he had like 900hp in his GTX.

80' shop would be perfect the way i see it to test your 60' times. 17 feet of truck plus 60' of test room!!! The only thing that might get interesting is getting it stopped after you get out the door....but thats what the 3' of snow should be good for:poke:
LOL, brings back memories! My family business used to lease a pretty big warehouse, which we shared with one other company. I stored my race car on the top shelf of a pallet rack, about 20' in the air. In the spring I would warm it up and do a couple of burnouts and launches in the building.

So, are you guys going to let me enter the burn-out contest with my Junker Drag Truck?

I've got a set of 285 BFG's that are due for the "treatment". They have lots of tread but have a few cracks, I'm thinking I can blow them up in the allotted 30 seconds, just need someone to bring some tire chalks so I can spin them at 130 MPH and not smoke the rear brakes.

If you have ABS brakes it will limit the pressure to the rear brakes as soon as it sees tire spin, works almost as well as a line lock!

It does have ABS rear brakes, however, as ratty as this truck is, and with the dash half torn apart, ABS lamp lit, Airbag lit, and ten other warning lamps lit, who knows if the ABS system is even operable.

I did a test burnout last night, no problem spinning the rears in overdrive! Just don't want to melt down the drums and shoes.

I thought the winner last year picked up a couple hundred, that should be enough to buy new brakes shoes right?

You could always loosen the rear drum adjusters, just be sure to crank them back down after the burnout! The pedal will feel mushy since you will only have the front brake system pushing back against the pedal, but it would help make sure you don't toast the drums & shoes.

Or even better, run that hose into the cab under the dash and fill that bottle with whiskey...crown on tap :hehe:

Brother left today with truck in tow...supposed to be a sweet sunny day on Saturday...here is hoping

Last edited:
Brother left today with truck in tow...supposed to be a sweet sunny day on Saturday...here is hoping

Yeah it has been sunny and high 70's low 80's for the past couple days and it's just going to get hotter as the week goes on.

I was plaining on going to the event but instead I get to work. Oh well maybe next year. Good luck to all the racers and safe travels to everyone.

Well, just got the tranny back together and in the truck tonight and did some test runs, seems to be shifting perfectly, so were ready to go, should be heading south mid thursday =)

We will be leaving to drive down there tomorrow 4:00am. Looking to have a great time with everyone. Thanks

Good luck Jim hope you kick some but I'll be watching on here for updates.
Wish we could have been there this year but things didn't work out. Going sledding this weekend now so I can have some kind of adrenalin rush!!!!

Good luck to everyone racing to!

Back