Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Might be worth finding out. Mine was done at 1.3 and head gasket only went 100k. When I opened it up liners were pretty low so put the thinner spacer plate in to get by. Just rebuilt it (twice) this summer and cut the bores and shimmed it so it could go back together right. A lot better piece of mind knowing it's right vs a bandaid like the thinner plate. A lot of people over look the liner protrusion and just drop the liners in and torque the head down without ever measuring.

Thank you for this. If I get closer to buying I’ll definitely ask about some of this stuff.

Might be worth finding out. Mine was done at 1.3 and head gasket only went 100k. When I opened it up liners were pretty low so put the thinner spacer plate in to get by. Just rebuilt it (twice) this summer and cut the bores and shimmed it so it could go back together right. A lot better piece of mind knowing it's right vs a bandaid like the thinner plate. A lot of people over look the liner protrusion and just drop the liners in and torque the head down without ever measuring.
I spent 2 hours removing corroded head bolts from an MXS yesterday that someone either didn't torque down or the liners weren't right.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I spent 2 hours removing corroded head bolts from an MXS yesterday that someone either didn't torque down or the liners weren't right.

Do you have erosion around the water jackets on the surface of the block? That's usually from coolant leaking past the grommets that go in the space plate because of that erosion if I'm not mistaken.

The tech working on it hasn't gotten that far, but yes, it probably will have. One bolt was covered in oil near #3 and the engine has coolant in the intake shelf and #6 cylinder

What would be next, cam?

How far can you push one before needing to o-ring the head and lower the compression?

Cam is good for 100hp, they will usually live at 700 to the ground without much issue as long as the liners are right, with a Cat gasket and someone torqued the head right. I wouldn’t personally cut the counterbore on a perfect block deck if I had a thinner plate. The end result is the same i just hate to cut a block that is flat with no erosion.

O-Ringing the head is just insurance. Costs the same as the gasket you will save but still have guys that don’t want to spend the money. One guy has blown 4 gaskets in like 2 yrs and still thinks it’s too much money. Math isn’t strong with some people.

That being said I haven’t pulled any of the heads on my trucks just to cut them, I wait until they blow or the head is off for another reason. No reason to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

Cam is good for 100hp, they will usually live at 700 to the ground without much issue as long as the liners are right, with a Cat gasket and someone torqued the head right. I wouldn’t personally cut the counterbore on a perfect block deck if I had a thinner plate. The end result is the same i just hate to cut a block that is flat with no erosion.

O-Ringing the head is just insurance. Costs the same as the gasket you will save but still have guys that don’t want to spend the money. One guy has blown 4 gaskets in like 2 yrs and still thinks it’s too much money. Math isn’t strong with some people.

That being said I haven’t pulled any of the heads on my trucks just to cut them, I wait until they blow or the head is off for another reason. No reason to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

What do you concider properly torquin the head?

What do you concider properly torquin the head?

With a wrench that didn’t come from harbor freight, lubed bolts AND washers and if using ARP bolts take them to 400 and lean on it. If they’re old like you they might need someone to push the radish back in when they strain that hard.

With a wrench that didn’t come from harbor freight, lubed bolts AND washers and if using ARP bolts take them to 400 and lean on it. If they’re old like you they might need someone to push the radish back in when they strain that hard.

B.s. run em in with a 1/2 inch impact and send it

It took a 400lb man and a 5ft 3/4 bar to get these out. Probably a 3/8 to install ?

Lake Roosevelt on the Columbia, you dont want to miss any of the corners on this one.
7338e974c2140ca0bb253408b54fecca.jpg
a7f5309396e65cf44c8ff2a258cb3332.jpg
564c52e7f0d6c2e04d9b4a1c27c6dfc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ya, I've been reading that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is a disaster.

Yep I'm in SW MN it's been a weird year for rain. I had to have a friend bring his tractor over to mow and bale my yard in August since Everytime I was home off the road it was raining. 5 acres of knee high grass ain't fun with a rider!

Hey faulkner? This come outa your shop? Looks like your kind of engineering
I use only imported European ScotchLoc's and you won't find anything finer.

If it had bolts in it it’s also not mine. I usually install them like this.
9076e97325284d284ad3172b7a452436.jpg

Last edited:
While i was changing out thermostats in a truck stop parking lot this afternoon I noticed that my turbo is starting to get some end play in the shaft. Side to side and in and out. The in and out is what worries me. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade so I can rebuild this one and set it on the shelf.

Right now this is my current build, 2000 6nz 15k on it since inframe.
Idp one piece steel pistons (acert style)
Balanced 57's
Full tilt manifold
S478 turbo 1.32 exhaust housing
800hp marine cam
I've been trying different files to see which run the best. Usually run either a 7cz file or a modified 6nz file but being I run produce out of California pretty regularly I usually flash it to a 550 file before I cross into the state so it doesn't smoke so bad when going through the gears. With trims set at 5232 and fls/fts set at 74/-19 it takes a little finesse to shift under load with the s478. I've heard that referred to as surge before but I'm not sure if that's the correct term for when it "pops" when you let off to fast. I'm assuming this also is an indication of the turbo being too small?

I'm planning compounds eventually but that'll be in the future right now the truck needs to keep moving. What would be a good turbo to go to? I was figuring an s480 or s482, turbo diesels are still a little new to me so I'm not really sure what to go with for turbine housing size or whether 80mm or 82mm compressor or if there's altogether something that would be better. I do have a pdi nozzle ring housing sitting in the garage I was thinking might be worth using.

Any suggestions?

While i was changing out thermostats in a truck stop parking lot this afternoon I noticed that my turbo is starting to get some end play in the shaft. Side to side and in and out. The in and out is what worries me. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade so I can rebuild this one and set it on the shelf.

Right now this is my current build, 2000 6nz 15k on it since inframe.
Idp one piece steel pistons (acert style)
Balanced 57's
Full tilt manifold
S478 turbo 1.32 exhaust housing
800hp marine cam
I've been trying different files to see which run the best. Usually run either a 7cz file or a modified 6nz file but being I run produce out of California pretty regularly I usually flash it to a 550 file before I cross into the state so it doesn't smoke so bad when going through the gears. With trims set at 5232 and fls/fts set at 74/-19 it takes a little finesse to shift under load with the s478. I've heard that referred to as surge before but I'm not sure if that's the correct term for when it "pops" when you let off to fast. I'm assuming this also is an indication of the turbo being too small?

I'm planning compounds eventually but that'll be in the future right now the truck needs to keep moving. What would be a good turbo to go to? I was figuring an s480 or s482, turbo diesels are still a little new to me so I'm not really sure what to go with for turbine housing size or whether 80mm or 82mm compressor or if there's altogether something that would be better. I do have a pdi nozzle ring housing sitting in the garage I was thinking might be worth using.

Any suggestions?
Surge comes from too big compressor, change to smaller one, or drive at higher rpm. And find a good tuner to get rid of the smoke.

I can spin that 478 past 50 pounds pretty effortlessly so I have a hard time believing it's too big. And I'm not talking low speed surge I'm talking about when you're pulling it hard and you let off the foot feed too fast and you get a pop/bark sound whatever you want to call it.

Back