Garage apartment

Figure a hard barrier seal between house and garage would be necessary... Another option would place the living area under positive pressure fresh air ventilation.. Nothing would leak from shop to living area

I would think your utilities will be quite high with that setup, as you are always using fresh make up air. Of course sharing a common wall between the garage and house might more than offset the increased utilities.

I run a unit heater - reznor 80k btu. It's enough to keep the shop 70* when its -20* outside . I'm sure it would go higher but I have never tried. I heat my apartment separate . I build hospitals, airports, college housing, military barracks etc.. Government work. I end up with nice left overs from projects. All my walls are r38 or higher or 2 layers of r19 which I staggered the joints on plus the existing shop insulation which was probably equal to r10. If I build an entirely new building when this ones paid off I'll be going in floor with pex or the like.

I would think your utilities will be quite high with that setup, as you are always using fresh make up air. Of course sharing a common wall between the garage and house might more than offset the increased utilities.

Could be.. Seams it could go either way..
1/2-1psi pressure differential is enough to shut a door..

This is exactly what I'm building. The shop is 40x64x16 fully finished interior with Spray Foam, 4" rebar concrete 4500psi, with a 12x24 lean to that is the office/bathroom.

Inside: bottom 8' will be FRP board, and the top 8' steel.

Apartment will be 28x40 2 story with a 1 car garage. 3 bed, 1.5 bath (this part is being built this fall)

Bottom picture popped up on my tapatalk and it took me a second to realize why it was familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

125K is very reasonable

This is exactly what I'm building. The shop is 40x64x16 fully finished interior with Spray Foam, 4" rebar concrete 4500psi, with a 12x24 lean to that is the office/bathroom.

Inside: bottom 8' will be FRP board, and the top 8' steel.

Apartment will be 28x40 2 story with a 1 car garage. 3 bed, 1.5 bath (this part is being built this fall)
IMG_0720_zps4xrudb88.jpg

IMG_1272_zps5joaqstm.jpg

This project will be near $125k all said and done.

Commercially we try to keep our buildings 0.01"-0.02" positive.

More and more residential HVAC systems bring in and condition outside air to positively pressurize the house. Makes for a cleaner space and prevents 'sick houses'. A 5-ton residential unit is generally between 1800-2000cfm and 10% would be slated for outside air.

If you think about it, many houses are actually negative a lot of the time, dryers blowing exhaust outside, exhaust fans for bathrooms, vent a hoods, etc... The air is sucked in through door and window seals etc... Much better to pull it in through the HVAC system, filtered and conditioned.

Yes small utility impact, but a better system overall. And could help with the shop fume/dust infiltration problem!

125K is very reasonable

Agreed. I have been doing a lot of the labor myself....and costs of living/labor is pretty inexpensive here compared to many area. But like all my projects, I'm sure I'll go overboard from what I planned. If I can keep it under $150k i'll be happy.

Back