Who is running a VGT on 2nd gen 24 Valve and how do you like it ????

Does anyone have any idea of the horse power gains with this setup ? I know injectors etc will make a difference I'm just looking for a general idea of hp gain.

Caleb, i purchased one of these from you a few months back. not on yet, other problems with the truck set me back. i'm actually going to be running this setup on my sled pulling truck with a II stage3 vgt. my ? is do you have any feedback from other guys running this as a puller setup? hoping that the faster spool up time and better top end will be benificial. any input would be helpful

No, the only VGT Cummins Ive seen pull is the 6.7 with the 451. It lite instant and yanked the sled, he just had some traction issues and had to let out. You shouldnt have any issues lighting one, especially if you have the fuel.

Caleb

No, the only VGT Cummins Ive seen pull is the 6.7 with the 451. It lite instant and yanked the sled, he just had some traction issues and had to let out. You shouldnt have any issues lighting one, especially if you have the fuel.

Caleb

yep, no problem there. give you a shout when we start tuning it

another ?, what are you guys doing about the water cooled center? doing it like on the new dodges, with all the new pipes and such? or just cutting one of the heater hoses? or not at all? i have heard mention of not hooking up coolant at all to it.

Ok, I have a turbo sitting in a box, and now have manifold, DP and controller on the way. Obviously the oil return will have to be modified, but other than that, what all is needed hard part wise?

depends on the manifold you use. i picked up a 6.7 manifold, so i will use a 6.7 dp since the turbo has the elbow on it. i think an hx40 dp will bolt right up to the turbine housing too.

Your DP needs to match whatever your manifold is, 2nd or 3rd gen. 3rd gen manifolds need the cast elbow on the turbine housing, 2nd gen need an HX40 DP no cast elbow.

Caleb

It adjusts basiclly 20% left and right of the current map the controller is looking at. Yes it adjusts real time boost, you can turn the knob and watch boost come up at a constant throttle positon.

Caleb

Ok, I have a turbo sitting in a box, and now have manifold, DP and controller on the way. Obviously the oil return will have to be modified, but other than that, what all is needed hard part wise?

Do you have a 5.9 or a 6.7 manifold? If it's off of a 5.9, then you're going to need an adapter. You will also have to come up with something for a charge pipe. I made a pipe for my air filter, but your airbox may hook up.

As for an oil return line, I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a flexible oil drain line.

Flexible Turbo Oil Drain

Edit: Also, the outlet on the HE351VE compressor housing is 2.75", HX-35 is 3". So you will need to get an adapter to go to the intercooler pipe.

2.75" to 3.00" Black Silicone Reducer Columbia River Mandrel Bending

Last edited:
Do you have a 5.9 or a 6.7 manifold? If it's off of a 5.9, then you're going to need an adapter. You will also have to come up with something for a charge pipe. I made a pipe for my air filter, but your airbox may hook up.

As for an oil return line, I think the easiest thing to do would be to buy a flexible oil drain line.

Flexible Turbo Oil Drain

Edit: Also, the outlet on the HE351VE compressor housing is 2.75", HX-35 is 3". So you will need to get an adapter to go to the intercooler pipe.

2.75" to 3.00" Black Silicone Reducer Columbia River Mandrel Bending

That's the kind of info I needed to know, thanks!!

No problem. I'm not sure if you're able to use the stock oil return line on a 24v, but on my 12 valve I just left the v-band loose that connects the center section to the exhaust housing and tightened down oil return line. This causes the center section to rotate counter clockwise a little bit, but allows the oil return line to seal with no modification.

Caleb

I would like to try a 451 in my truck.....

anyone have sompressor wheel and exhaust wheel specs???

Back