Who is running a VGT on 2nd gen 24 Valve and how do you like it ????

I have an he451ve (60mm) sitting here and looking for a t4 manifold which I know I have to alter but the plumbing is giving me some trouble. The charger I have is off a volvo, will that cause any problems hooking up or operating the controller and can I get a little more technical info on the oil lines, tried the cummins and volvo dealer and all they could tell me was I needed an engine ID number which I dont have. The guy I bought the turbo from was really cool and gave me most of the fittings but a little info on what fittings are need to adapt the oil lines them to my 00 24v would be great and I will be ordering a controller as soon as the funds are there.:rockwoot:

Who on here has a completed the He351vgt upgrade on their 24v? Can someone pm me there number so I can chat and ask some detailed questions? I'm about to start collecting the parts I need for the conversion. Thanks

I have an he451ve (60mm) sitting here and looking for a t4 manifold which I know I have to alter but the plumbing is giving me some trouble. The charger I have is off a volvo, will that cause any problems hooking up or operating the controller and can I get a little more technical info on the oil lines, tried the cummins and volvo dealer and all they could tell me was I needed an engine ID number which I dont have. The guy I bought the turbo from was really cool and gave me most of the fittings but a little info on what fittings are need to adapt the oil lines them to my 00 24v would be great and I will be ordering a controller as soon as the funds are there.:rockwoot:

Electronics should work, best way to be sure is you can email me pictures of the connections and we can verify they are the same. You can be as creative with your coolant lines as you need, there are guys that have drilled and tapped them to pipe thread so that they could use generic fittings. Youll still need the stock drain line native to the turbo, so that you can cut it and adapt it to your stock drain using a piece of hight temp silicone hose or something. Most guys have been able to use there stock oil feed line, by either bending it slightly or slightly clocking the cart. Either way your should be able to track down a hydraulics company, or a company that specilizes in steel braid line that can get you a feed line that works, or that can make one.

Caleb

Theres two options on the comp side of a 451, either a 60mm or a 64mm... We like the 64mm! :rockwoot:

Caleb

how big is the hot side????

what problems have there been with surge on the 64mm???

any problems snapping the shaft...any similarities to the HX series shafts??

There not on the website, our website suffers from neglect. Its either spend time updating the website or we develope more cool kid stuff....;-) We currently offer the Holset VGT controller for 98.5-05 Cummins trucks. These are plug and play controllers that are infinetly tuneable to your setup. You can tune them realtime via a laptop and USB hook up allowing you to tailor the chargers characteristics to fit the way you want it to react. Its as simple as reading an Excel table and changing the closure percentage value of the vanes for a specified RPM and Fuel quantity. In the real-time tuning the cell the controller is looking to relay its demands for the turbo is highlighted in the table, so if it seems laggy at that point you can just punch in a higher closure percentage in that cell, save it, and it will immediatly adjust it. Clear as mud?

Our retail price for walk ins on this controller is $625 with the Exhaust brake option, but if you ask for Caleb and mention your on CompD when you call and order, Ill sell it to you for $595.

unless prices changed in the last few weeks retail price on the controller is $595 with the exhaust brake, not $625 so your not cutting anyone a deal. Everyone also knows if you by the product directly from the manufacture you will pay retail price, which is $595. If you find a shop that is a dealer for fleece then you can get it for $565.25 which is there map price, and what everyone should be selling them at. Just giving everyone the heads up.

Ive got the HE351VE and the adapter T-3 to HE351VE, I'm in the process of getting the water-coolant fitting and oil fittings. I ordered the 2- HX40 down pipes and I'm thinking about putting 150's in the truck and just use my smarty as added fuel and timing. Not wanting to make high HP just a DD/tow rig. Next question that I can't find any info on is the convertor stall for running a VGT turbo... I found a new triple disc convertor thats got stock stall, is that good with a VGT or should it be tighter or looser?? Sorry to get off topic a little but nobody has seemed to answer that question in any search. Thanks

Great info in this thread. My brothers got all the parts for the he351vgt swap on the way for his 04. If all goes well and he likes it Ill more than likely try to save up a little more coin and try to find a 451 for my 01. Then after I get power hungry again I may try and put a ht4b or 4c under it and see what happens. It sounds good in my head so maybe it will accidently all work out lol

FYI regarding coolant hookup: threads are metric M16x1.5 and a good way to go instead of using banjos is adapters to -8AN fittings, then you can use AN JIC fittings with barbed ends to push onto your coolant hose. I just tried a -8AN barbed fitting on a piece of heater core hose and the fit isn't very tight but should be fine with a hose clamp.

M16x1.5 adapter: From this website use PN 9919EFJ for -8AN http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Metric

Then barbed -8AN fitting PN FBM1440 is an economical choice, there's several -8AN here http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Super!_Stock!_Hose!_Ends

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
FYI regarding coolant hookup: threads are metric M16x1.5 and a good way to go instead of using banjos is adapters to -8AN fittings, then you can use AN JIC fittings with barbed ends to push onto your coolant hose. I just tried a -8AN barbed fitting on a piece of heater core hose and the fit isn't very tight but should be fine with a hose clamp.

M16x1.5 adapter: From this website use PN 9919EFJ for -8AN http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Metric

Then barbed -8AN fitting PN FBM1440 is an economical choice, there's several -8AN here http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Super!_Stock!_Hose!_Ends

Hope this helps.

Thanks man! Do you have any pics of your install (coolant lines) so I can get an idea of how to tie into the heater hoses.

Sorry don't have the parts yet, hoping to get started on my install in a couple weeks. For the heater hoses I think you take the one leading from the engine going to the heater core then split it and route it through the turbo then on to the heater core.

Could you tap in on the return heater core hose and it maybe a few degrees cooler? That way in the winter there isn't a restiction going to the heater core hindering it's output.

Great info in this thread. My brothers got all the parts for the he351vgt swap on the way for his 04. If all goes well and he likes it Ill more than likely try to save up a little more coin and try to find a 451 for my 01. Then after I get power hungry again I may try and put a ht4b or 4c under it and see what happens. It sounds good in my head so maybe it will accidently all work out lol

Somebody tried this before, with a vgt as secondary? I have olso a vgt but not installed yet. I olso have plans to use it in a compound setup, but have olso read somthing about that the vgt will choke the big turbo.
// nilsson

Could you tap in on the return heater core hose and it maybe a few degrees cooler? That way in the winter there isn't a restiction going to the heater core hindering it's output.

Actually, you might want to reverse this so that the heater runs a few degrees warmer in winter. I could care less if the turbo runs a couple of degrees warmer as long as my ass aint freezing.LOL

Actually, you might want to reverse this so that the heater runs a few degrees warmer in winter. I could care less if the turbo runs a couple of degrees warmer as long as my ass aint freezing.LOL

I think you read his wrong, if you tap in after the heater core, then the coolant will be cooler then it is going into the heater core, thus having cooler coolant going to the turbo.

Back