Supercharger pulley

Got it mounted up, I was going to paint it DD Green so the holes would be noticeable but all my other pulleys, minus the tensioner, are black so it will be too. I drilled and tapped the idler to 5/16-18 but looking at it I'm sure the belt will slip before bolt strength becomes an issue. I may look into ways of getting te belt farther around the idler if slippage is noted.

0821BD25-BE25-4661-A740-5FEB4FC41F82-2560-000001C54AD836A4_zps0a5da3b6.jpg

6CF96687-518B-4345-8EC4-4E684443A46E-2560-000001C54F9EE724_zpsc4893fba.jpg

I'll just keep updating the mount and piping build here I guess, even though it was technically just to share the specs of the pulley.

I dunno, I don't intend to put any more tension on them than a normal tensioner provides but that will technically make two tensioner pulling it towards the passenger side of the truck.

Time will tell I guess, in typical Cummins form I fully expect those bearings to outlast the truck around them. LOL

Well, I knew I'd regret lifting my truck and after lifting 70lbs of blower and mount over my fender 5000 times making sure it'll clear there's officially no doubt. :bang

Anyways, now that it's sitting where it won't hit anything and pretty well lined up, I'll pull the fender and whatnot off and start looking for places to actually hang this heavy POS.

A5749A46-9BBC-45AA-978A-63EA7C00F5DD-4245-0000032F1C88A14C_zps95132778.jpg

C4D09200-93A7-4E70-AC86-ACD63D5E9DB9-4245-0000032F216FE7B8_zps886dd984.jpg

6730E5DF-D4A9-4069-B6DC-99F7B856014D-4245-0000032F257C6033_zps1c239d0e.jpg

70FD8CEF-F122-45D4-B476-C6FA44913E42-4290-00000336DC3D61B2_zpsf9baac99.jpg

This is freaking awesome to see. Kind of reminds me of that guy who was doing his own clutch and a bunch of morons got their panties all in a bunch because "he was copying people"

This is perfect, someone who wants to make something instead of paying an arm an a leg for it.

I agree :snoop:

Nothing too different, I've read Carl's threads front to back about 5 times. LOL

Hopefully I'll have something worth dynoing up at Hebron this year. Possibly over in Centerville if I can make it at a decent hour next time.

Awesome work! Keep at it, if you want something done right better do it yourself applies well in this case. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with those companies.

Thanks man.

Honestly, I wish I had never typed that all out now that I've done it, nothing good is going to come of it and all I've done is cluttered up my thread with it. I was just winding down wit a few too may beers after getting the **** kicked out of me by that heavy setup and just got on a rant.

I'm mostly PO'd that I'll have t wait another two days before I can get any real work done on it. I'm on such a roll with it that I don't know what I'm going to do...
Well, it is a 1stgen I'm sure there's some wiring problem to take care of somewhere. LOL

If I may, I dont think you have enough wrap on the fan pulley to drive that kind of step-up. If you can run the belt from alt to fan to water pump to crank, it may get you enough?
Also- seeing as you are turning a 112 pretty hard, You may want to look into the factory W/A cooler, as I noticed you already have one for the turbo.
FYI- the cobra 112 and 122 had a drivers side (in your case top inlet) for the SC. Maybe a bit easier to use?
Once you get it running, you'll notice how much the belt torques on the snout. Be sure your final mount is up to the task. Mounting it far away from the engine will not make that easy.
You may find this pulley useful? Its a smooth dual bearing idler with ribs to keep the belt from jumping. ;)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vor-4fa116-021

Thanks for the insight, Carl. I've actually been looking into ways to reroute my belt but most of them end up spinning the WP in the wrong direction. I completely agree with you that the 1/4 of the pulley that belt is touching isn' t enough to put any real power through. I haven't beat myself up too bad about it yet as my typical form is to mount something up permanent then start chasing all the problems it causes. LOL

I've actually done (attempted) a lot of math to figure out what in the hell this blower is going to do for me, but to be honest I really had no idea where to start. All I was going off of was the blower was 112ci/r and my engine is 359ci. My goal was to get as close as 3:1 as I could, other than that it's all wild-assed guessing. The truck is a DD VE-pumped truck with a 3200 gov spring in it, 9k rpm is the max that blower will see.

As for the inlet, there's enough room to run a 4" inlet pipe along under it so I'm just going to run with what I've got. I've looked at those lightning blowers with a lot of jealousy in my eyes but I also kinda like the challenge of fabbing to what I have.

I do intend to do as much pulley wrapping as I can using those idlers and standoffs on whatever bracketry I dream up.

Any more thought/ideas, throw them out there, guys. Like I said, I'm flying blind.

as long as the flat side of the belt is on the water pump, it will turn the right way.

how big are the pulleys? SC, and yours? seems it would be more than 3:1?

Last edited:
My driver is 7.5" and the driven is 3". Combined 6" crank and 5.5" fan idler I get 2.7-ish. I could drop down my blower pulley but I figure I'll just put it together and see what it does first.

My driver is 7.5" and the driven is 3". Combined 6" crank and 5.5" fan idler I get 2.7-ish. I could drop down my blower pulley but I figure I'll just put it together and see what it does first.

Not sure if the 1st gen is different? My 98 has a 5" fan pulley and 6.5 crank pulley.

"Life's tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid"

Same applies to math. :lolly:

Thanks for the clarification, guys, if my probably-wrong math is right that bumps me up to a 3.25:1 ratio. That actually makes me pretty happy, I wasn't looking forward to buying a smaller pulley for that blower to get there.

Back