Swole...Again!

Ever since I had the tip split while crusing down the hwy. back in the summer, the colder it's gotten I've had a growing problem that I thought may be fuel related at first (hence the help from Don and my Thank you to him).

The Basic's:

Cold start up (even when it was hot out) yields some white smoke like its decompressed and some roughness. The colder its gotten, the Worse this white smoke has got.

When you try and drive it just after a cold start it seems to spit and sputter..This goes away instanatly when boost starts to come up..Then the same thing from the next light / stop sign on....

The Warmer the motor gets and especially at full opp. temp, the sputtering and white smoke goes away and it runs very smooth and strong.....
Only a slight stumble at the first hint of a throttle stab.... When boost starts coming on its just a smooth as silk... Idles very smooth as well.

On the bad news:

It's been using way more oil than a new build should (approx. 2-3 quarts in 3000 miles) and my blow by seems to be getting a good bit worse...Still not droping oil out of the tube yet though..

Don made me totally different set of tips to try just to rule out that ones he'd just sent me..That was above and beyond..Thank you Don!!

I was driving today and just noticed something in the mirror....
When I let it drop to Zero boost and Idle rpm's while coasting down the road at 30-40 mph, I can stab the throttle just a bit harder than normal and I get a PUFF OF WHITE SMOKE followed by black....Every time.... this is at complete opp. temps... I assume this is where my oil is going....

Don and Jeff both guess a bent rod.... I assume a broken ring could do this too... IDEAS WELCOME GUYS!! POST UP!!

Now we just have to fix it....

(As I was typing this thread)
I JUST got off the phone with Jeff Garmon and it's ON! He's talked me out of my depression and my threating to Give up and Sell Everything!! (Seriously, I was) we are going to pull it and Fix it!!

More to come in the future.... But feel free to post ideas....

OH Yeah!! Who make the LEAST expensive but good strong aftermarket rods?? I've got a set of 12v rods if these are gone...but have never price aftermarket stuff...

There is no reason you need aftermarket rods Dave. The rods are not bent, they were checked before jeff reassembled them in your new engine. And your not making enough power to bend those rods..... The issue i feel is somewhere else.

^^^^^^^

Might be a good idea, sell it and let someone else get the bugs worked out while you atart on a new project!

Dude i think it's time for you to sell your truck

your tough kyle...:kick:

swolio, i have a real nice half ton 12v thats almost out of paint, make a smokin deal lol

on a serious note, dude you must be in the fetal position suckin on an injector....

Sorry bout all the weird post being stuck in here... I started a thread and so did Phil ( wideopen )... He merged them.

Dude you should try a different brand Spark Plug! David you have the worst luck of anyone I know.

YUP! Trust me...Spark plugs are sounding GOOD right about now!

wow sorry to hear this!!! To think, I just spoke with you last night. Please dont sent any of your bad luck with my new trans. I have plenty of my own.

You must have arrested a grandma or something to piss the big guy off upstairs this bad in order to recieve such luck.

Good luck sir!!!

Sorry Aaron, I just did let the cat out of the bag until today... I had to make SURE that I actually had a problem and not just dreaming...EDIT ...Nightmare!!

Jeff told me you choose his tranny... I PROMISE I won't even go NEAR it!! LOL It'll be UNSWOLED and perfect in every way!!

you running a capped rail? sounds as if there is a return flow problem....... with the amount of times you have had the valve cover off I would also check out the wires to the injectors under the gasket. who knows. hope for luck ya know ?

NO capped rail anymore... I've got a TCDiesel Modded PRV and his Modded Rail..

Had the whole top end ( injectors, lines, valvetrain, etc. ) off on Sat... I installed those other tips and reset lash to make sure it wasn't the issue.. So I Know it not wires, injectors, etc...

Thanks for the brain storm though...

If its a broke ring (which is what it sounds like) it can scar up the cyl wall, I wouldn't run it.

That sucks so bad though man. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah, Only goting to limp it down to Jeff's now.. Whats done is done at this point...Cause I've already been Hard on it...And it still Hauls A$$!! You must not have heard my 2010 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo kill story from about a month ago, going home from Shop Day... (evil grin)...

Dont bother with a compression test. Do a leak-down test, that will tell you if its going out a valve or past the rings, and how bad it is.

Not even doing that now.. After talk with Jeff tonight and he knows there something internal wrong... He just said, "Its coming out!! Period! Bring it down here! " lol

He's going to use this opportunity to do a few more things he's been working on :) So he said... I've learned not to argue with him... lol

what was that "next year prediction" of dave being on # 7 motor???? lol

sorry - some times u just have to laugh...... before you shoot yourself or the truck

just when i get a twin of your truck ...lol
IMG958932.jpg

When it warms up its baby smooth?
What is the compression ratio with those monotherms installed?
Seems weird man a broken ring or tweaked rod doesn't usually go away with higher temps.
None the less good luck. I don't know WTF to say ....
Oh.... and... your not running the fracture split rods with those heavy assed pistons are you?

I just spoke with Wade and he and I are kind leaning toward a broken ring insted of a bent rod... Not sure what would be worse as far as the Block goes... I'd like to reuse the rods Wade did for me..They were polished, lightened, balanced, and radiused at the bottom.

Dude i think it's time for you to sell your truck

^^ This was going to be the plan! For Real!
Then I talked to Jeff tonight...We'll see!

X2. Sorry to hear, good luck
Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

your tough kyle...:kick:

swolio, i have a real nice half ton 12v thats almost out of paint, make a smokin deal lol

on a serious note, dude you must be in the fetal position suckin on an injector....

Thanks for the offer but I either need to fix this or Sell it and move on!!
I'm really kinda diggin on the idea of just a stock Dmax for a DD!!

But now Jeff wants to fix it and make me try to blow it up again!! LOL
Thats just how he Rolls!!

I wouldn't have it in me to do another tear down. I hope this time 'round goes better for you.

You have NO idea!! lol
I don't really either! But Jeff is making me!! lol

what was that "next year prediction" of dave being on # 7 motor???? lol

sorry - some times u just have to laugh...... before you shoot yourself or the truck

just when i get a twin of your truck ...lol
IMG958932.jpg

This will actually be the #5 though...counting the orig. motor...:doh:

LOL I just have to laugh!! There nothing else I can do....

Take those steps off and it'll be close!! What cha gonna do with that one?

I was trying to be polite Saturday night on the phone, but now I can tell you what you need to hear. Finish the damn thing!:lolly:Tear it down , and fix it. I hate that it happened, but the longer you sit around worrying about it, the less work gets done on it. If you must sell it though, DIBS ON THE VALVE COVER.

Hopefully this will inspire you, and you will get it going soon. If I can help, let me know

I hear that they are coming it with new software so thet when your commonrail engine melts down, you just push the reset button and everything goes back to the way it was before the meltdown.

I hear that they are coming it with new software so thet when your commonrail engine melts down, you just push the reset button and everything goes back to the way it was before the meltdown.

that would be really nice

No offense but I have zero dibs on any part that has been installed touched or been within a 25 mile radius of that truck.

Back