Swole...Again!

Grid heater delete

I am doing the grid heater delete. If I remove the cables from the battery and obviously they are not connected at the heater, will I get codes? And what else might appear?

how anyone could even point half a finger sideways at garmon is beyond me. he stayed on the phone while i layed under my truck spinnin wrenches 750 miles away just to help me clear an idiot light. i could never bad mouth a guy that nice.

swolio, interestingly enough a kid i know who may have messaged you a thousand times on your build, is rebuilding his entire motor only a few months after installing the mahle piston/arp 625 combo. took out a ring. a lot of the same symptoms.

makes me wonder, but good luck to you!

How many miles is on this motor now david? Have you ran it down track yet or dynoed it?

Just wondering if you've had enough heat in it to seat the rings.

You need to find a different builder or driver, your choice.:doh:

Since they were both ME this time, You may be right!!! LOL

how anyone could even point half a finger sideways at garmon is beyond me. he stayed on the phone while i layed under my truck spinnin wrenches 750 miles away just to help me clear an idiot light. i could never bad mouth a guy that nice.

swolio, interestingly enough a kid i know who may have messaged you a thousand times on your build, is rebuilding his entire motor only a few months after installing the mahle piston/arp 625 combo. took out a ring. a lot of the same symptoms.

makes me wonder, but good luck to you!

Yes!! Shaun LOVES to text about things!! lol Great guy though...

His problem was found by Eric at Mahle and his NEW machine shop... There was evidently NOTHING on his old block that was machined right...They had it All outta wack!! The PTW clearance on his build was almost .008!!

This was his issue...

My issue are totally different than Shaun's.... My PTW is right around the 3-5 range....Eric at Mahle even said that I'd be okay with that...

How many miles is on this motor now david? Have you ran it down track yet or dynoed it?

Just wondering if you've had enough heat in it to seat the rings.

Had about a 1000 on it when the tip split...Have since put another 3000 + on hit with the new tips...

No passes at the track and No dyno, but PLENTY of hard runs on the street..There deffinately been enough heat in there..

How long did you run it once the tip split? Maybe long enough to wash the cylinder out?

When it split, Jason (isb) and I just looked at each other wondering wtf that noise was...Then when I saw the white CLOUD behind me, I immediately lifted from my cruising speed of about 80, Tossed the tranny up in Neutral, and pulled over....It was still running when I stopped and then I just cut it off.

So all in all, the time frame was about 15-20 seconds or so.....

Unbelievable! So Sorry David.

Thanks Tim!! We are both having a rough time these days.... I'll keep you posted Buddy.

If i remember correct jeff made the PTW 7-8 thou? with the monotherms. which is more than i run in my stuff, but it shouldent be a oil guzzzler brcause of it...

FWIW. I'm pretty sure Mahle wants 3-4 piston to wall on those steel pistons.

Wade, it was in the 4-5 range at best.

Jeff, Eric was aware of my clearance and said I'd be okay.

My bore was still at 4.016-4.017 which is around stock size... The mono's fit faily tight in there when I was just playin with them before assembly.

I don't think PTW clearance is going to be my issue.... Now it may be if this block has to be bored... I'll be looking for another block...

I don't think PTW clearance is going to be my issue.... Now it may be if this block has to be bored... I'll be looking for another block...

Damn Swole! You can't win, can you?

I'd help you out with a block again if I had one, but you used up all my spares already:D

Sorry David!
Chris

My bore was still at 4.016-4.017 which is around stock size... The mono's fit faily tight in there when I was just playin with them before assembly.

I don't think PTW clearance is going to be my issue.... Now it may be if this block has to be bored... I'll be looking for another block...[/QUOTE]

Call me if ya do bud! I hate seeing you have all these issues and you've done a great job with pay it forward!

Damn Swole! You can't win, can you?

I'd help you out with a block again if I had one, but you used up all my spares already:D

Sorry David!
Chris

I know man, and I'm sorry. But thank you still for helping me!!
I'm still in debt. to ya and promise to make it up to ya!!

Call me if ya do bud! I hate seeing you have all these issues and you've done a great job with pay it forward!

Thank you Chris! You are another great friend for what you did for me!

I've not done (or been able) to pay it forward as much as I like, but will always try when I can.

I hope it's something as simple as the piston ring ends lined up. From the way you describe it that could definitely be it. At least close enough when cold to leak, but when warm the expansion creates enough of a seal. Just thinking out loud here. And hoping, for your sanity, that it's something easy.

I hope it's something as simple as the piston ring ends lined up. From the way you describe it that could definitely be it. At least close enough when cold to leak, but when warm the expansion creates enough of a seal. Just thinking out loud here. And hoping, for your sanity, that it's something easy.

Thank you Sir!

I made sure when I installed the rings that they were all turned 33% away from each other but stranger things have happened I'm sure..

We'll see, but thanks for the thoughts.

When it split, Jason (isb) and I just looked at each other wondering wtf that noise was...Then when I saw the white CLOUD behind me, I immediately lifted from my cruising speed of about 80, Tossed the tranny up in Neutral, and pulled over....It was still running when I stopped and then I just cut it off.

So all in all, the time frame was about 15-20 seconds or so.....

Thats not enough time to scar anything up... I would say just a broke ring. IMO anyway.

Thats not enough time to scar anything up... I would say just a broke ring. IMO anyway.

Well that was just the answer to how long it ran when the tip split...
You may have missed the fact that when I got new tips in there, that I drove it another 3000 miles like that... Some of it was very hard WOT runs on the street for Short Burst...

I drove all the way to NC to the Bucks race and back home, plus several other shorter trips.

Lots of miles and the blow by and oil use has only gotten slightly worse...But still happening none the less..

I can only keep my fingures crossed that it hasn't Jacked up the cylinder wall(s), so I can use the block again...

I know man, and I'm sorry. But thank you still for helping me!!
I'm still in debt. to ya and promise to make it up to ya!!

Don't worry about it David...I still feel bad about the shape it was in after you got it home!

We'll meet up again down the road someday...just don't touch my 1/2 ton, I don't need anymore bad luck:hehe: :hehe:

Chris

PTW may be alright. I was curious about Piston ring gaps. If they were tight they may not have enough room to expand. Seen this happen plenty on turbo charged gassers and diesel is no different.

Another explanation; that motor on a hot hard run, tip goes, that very cool fuel hitting the pistons and ring may be enough to shock the rings (thermally) and cause a fracture. I agree with Joe Six....too much oil consuption.

If we could only measure piston temps on these things!!!

I wonder if you have a leaky valve seat that's allowing oil to drip into the motor and cause some the cold start smoke and roughness. Then maybe a sticky valve guide that's holding a valve open just a little on the cold starts causing low compression in one cylinder.

Have you checked your valve lash yet?

Just hate to see you tear into it before checking the easy things.

PTW may be alright. I was curious about Piston ring gaps. If they were tight they may not have enough room to expand. Seen this happen plenty on turbo charged gassers and diesel is no different.

Another explanation; that motor on a hot hard run, tip goes, that very cool fuel hitting the pistons and ring may be enough to shock the rings (thermally) and cause a fracture. I agree with Joe Six....too much oil consuption.

If we could only measure piston temps on these things!!!

I used the rings that Mahle sent..They had their own ring package. I did not check the ring gaps.

You said , " Hot Hard Run"..... actually as was very lucky that it wasn't a hot hard run... I was only just cruising at 80 +/- and rpm's were somewhere around 2000 or so. RP was probably in the 15K-17K range.

I had hit it a few times hard prior to the tip spliting but Not when it actually split.. Had I really been in it hard, the amount of fuel entering the cylinder would have drastically been higher!

I wonder if you have a leaky valve seat that's allowing oil to drip into the motor and cause some the cold start smoke and roughness. Then maybe a sticky valve guide that's holding a valve open just a little on the cold starts causing low compression in one cylinder.

Have you checked your valve lash yet?

Just hate to see you tear into it before checking the easy things.

I had thought about this as well.. But the head had been worked (decked, oversized seats, etc) just prior to this build.. But it was a high mile 03 head from a used motor (from Signature600)... I guess it's possible that this could be occuring.

I did my lash twice during breakin... But did Not do it when I installed the new tips after old one split ( prob. should have but was in a hurry and it was HOT out)...

I just did the lash again Sat. when I installed the New New tips from Don that he sent me just to rule out the injector / fuel theory... Set at .008 / .017 on a luke warm motor...

Same chit after it was all said and done... Drove it home and parked.. Did the same chit yesterday as well..

I'm still leaning toward a ring...or Rod I guess too....

Don't worry about it David...I still feel bad about the shape it was in after you got it home!

We'll meet up again down the road someday...just don't touch my 1/2 ton, I don't need anymore bad luck:hehe: :hehe:

Chris

Back