Swole...Again!

mikmaze steps in and forms a line for parts........

but I hope for your sake you didn't swole er bad this time.

LOL

Thanks fella's

For the record, its still running and I can drive it... I just may have a bent rod or something (broke ring possibly)... I thought it was fuel related but it is not...

Has increasing blow by ( not really bad just yet ) and is using more oil than I'd like.... Coupled with my cold start / white smoke / sputtering issue......

Funny thing is, when its up to complete opp. temp it runs fine, smooth & strong!

Don really helped me out by making SURE it was not the stix.... I owe him big time!

It may have to just sit for a while this time... I just don't have it in me for several reason's to dive in just yet...

I'll start another thread sometime when I know more... This thread was mainly to show my upmost appreciation for Don and April putting up with me and Really helping me So much!!

Last edited:
sucks balls david!!!!!

dont want to hear this-- compression test seems to be in order

Dang, man. That friggin' sux!

Thanks guys,

Thats my next step.... I'm going to go down to Jeff again tmrw or Thurs and we're goind to use his scanner to shut down each injector while idling COLD...

Once we isolate the hole (s) that stop the large amount of white smoke, then I'll start with that hole (s) for my compression test to see if it's just one hole / rod....

Only thing I can put my figure on is the possible Hydrolock of that cylinder back when I split one of my Old tips...

This has been occuring since then...I just kept it quiet until I could rule out an injector...

Weird thing is when its warm, man its runs pretty dang smooth and do major issues with the exception of the oil use and slight blow by..

I did notice this one thing though just a while ago... I was driving it easy on Stock programing...When I let it go to Zero Boost while coasting at 30-40 mph and then just kinda stab at the throttle, I get a small WHITE PUFF of smoke and then it goes to black... With just Little Stumble when I stab it...

When under almost any amount of boost, it seems Dead Smooth !! Weird!!

Any ideas??

(Sorry Don...I'll have a Mod move these post to a new thread I start ref. this rod / ring issue......Thank you again for the help)

wow sorry to hear this!!! To think, I just spoke with you last night. Please dont sent any of your bad luck with my new trans. I have plenty of my own.

You must have arrested a grandma or something to piss the big guy off upstairs this bad in order to recieve such luck.

Good luck sir!!!

ANOTHER Swole Issue thread

Ever since I had the tip split while crusing down the hwy. back in the summer, the colder it's gotten I've had a growing problem that I thought may be fuel related at first (hence the help from Don and my Thank you to him).

The Basic's:

Cold start up (even when it was hot out) yields some white smoke like its decompressed and some roughness. The colder its gotten, the Worse this white smoke has got.

When you try and drive it just after a cold start it seems to spit and sputter..This goes away instanatly when boost starts to come up..Then the same thing from the next light / stop sign on....

The Warmer the motor gets and especially at full opp. temp, the sputtering and white smoke goes away and it runs very smooth and strong.....
Only a slight stumble at the first hint of a throttle stab.... When boost starts coming on its just a smooth as silk... Idles very smooth as well.

On the bad news:

It's been using way more oil than a new build should (approx. 2-3 quarts in 3000 miles) and my blow by seems to be getting a good bit worse...Still not droping oil out of the tube yet though..

Don made me totally different set of tips to try just to rule out that ones he'd just sent me..That was above and beyond..Thank you Don!!

I was driving today and just noticed something in the mirror....
When I let it drop to Zero boost and Idle rpm's while coasting down the road at 30-40 mph, I can stab the throttle just a bit harder than normal and I get a PUFF OF WHITE SMOKE followed by black....Every time.... this is at complete opp. temps... I assume this is where my oil is going....

Don and Jeff both guess a bent rod.... I assume a broken ring could do this too... IDEAS WELCOME GUYS!! POST UP!!

Now we just have to fix it....

(As I was typing this thread)
I JUST got off the phone with Jeff Garmon and it's ON! He's talked me out of my depression and my threating to Give up and Sell Everything!! (Seriously, I was) we are going to pull it and Fix it!!

More to come in the future.... But feel free to post ideas....

OH Yeah!! Who make the LEAST expensive but good strong aftermarket rods?? I've got a set of 12v rods if these are gone...but have never price aftermarket stuff...

you running a capped rail? sounds as if there is a return flow problem....... with the amount of times you have had the valve cover off I would also check out the wires to the injectors under the gasket. who knows. hope for luck ya know ?

If its a broke ring (which is what it sounds like) it can scar up the cyl wall, I wouldn't run it.

That sucks so bad though man. Sorry to hear it.

Dont bother with a compression test. Do a leak-down test, that will tell you if its going out a valve or past the rings, and how bad it is.

If you were useing that much oil, then you have one of these problems.

Rings not installed correctly

Rings broken upon instalation

Bore out of round upon assembly--lack of bore/hone before build

Studs used Distorted the block, Which caused a bore out of round issue.
Common with the use of 625 arp studs.

Too much ring endgap

Too much piston to wall clearance

Last edited:
Back