"the best" 2.8 charger

oldred95

so what is it does any body know. theres only about a million out there that claim to be the best. just curious to see what everybody thought.

That a GT4294r and the Stage III Turbonetics. I think that's what Garrett runs and his truck is WILD! His might be a 3.0" though...

ok ok but now the new dhra rules say no bush and 105 max so what is leftbesides the a5k..........II claims they have the answer for the 2.8 class in 08 but im a little leary of them from some of the things they have told me in the past

Muddin_dude06 said:
That a GT4294r and the Stage III Turbonetics. I think that's what Garrett runs and his truck is WILD! His might be a 3.0" though...

The 105mm gets you into the s400 land, I am pretty sure the major diameter is less than 105 on the 3.0 s400's.

NADM allows bushings in the 2.8 class.

However, for the brush pulls that do not allow bushings, just find a different front cover for those pulls. 10 Minute change, no bushing and you just doubled the amount of hooks you can go to.

I like my ole krappy Pro 52 with external wastegate, spools easier then my S475/.90 T4 housing, and seems to hold on at the end of the track better.

Im sorry but I HATE THE A5K!!! they cant stay together! went threw a crap load of em!!! Turbonetics is the best way to go in my opinion!

CATpullingTeam said:
Im sorry but I HATE THE A5K!!! they cant stay together! went threw a crap load of em!!! Turbonetics is the best way to go in my opinion!

That's kinda funny....these things take a hell of a beating on Dmaxes, but I know a Dodge guy who blew two A5ks in two weeks. One sent chunx through the hood.

Were you watching your drive and boost pressures?

What was the failure mode? Shaft / bearings / wheels / etc.?

As with everything else, performance and setup go hand-in-hand.

I have ran an A5K/K31 for two seasons now and its still alive...

Nice thing is I can blow it up and chuck it in the garbage and slide in my backup K31 performance unit I picked up for $500 (new).
If I blow that one I can get them all day long for $750 NIB (or less if I look around).

Hard to beat those options...

The A5K has proved itself to be a top rate charger with trucks with real results using them.

Is their better turbo's....maybe. Is their better turbo's for the money? No.

I think the next step for me is a Borg Warner S400....

Last edited:
nwpadmax said:
That's kinda funny....these things take a hell of a beating on Dmaxes, but I know a Dodge guy who blew two A5ks in two weeks. One sent chunx through the hood.

Were you watching your drive and boost pressures?

What was the failure mode? Shaft / bearings / wheels / etc.?

As with everything else, performance and setup go hand-in-hand.

Agree on that one. Some people have no idea what charger they should be running with the amount of RPM's and fuel they are pushing...

Back