The History And Future Of The Diesel Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
bad_cummins said:
You can say all you want about the Gale Banks engineering team they may know how diesels run but I have made the mistake of buying a banks product and i wish i would have never wasted the 3200 dollars on a piece of CHIT like that. as far as i am concerned the banks products are the worst products on the market. Well I cant really speak for any other trucks than the 98-02 dodges but the power pack is a joke. I way over paid and am very dissatisfied with his products. I could have made more power with half the money I spent on that pile of garbage.

Now where have I heard this before?:pop:

His opinion matters cause its all the dis-satisfied customers, as well as those that are satisfied, that are financing your racing ventures.

If your gonna get on your soap box and preach how Banks is the savior of the diesel world, just like you did with all the DR. P crap, then your gonna have listen to the people like him. Gale must love the advertisement that your giving him.

Your opinions are based on who's helping you out or who's lining your pockets, not whos products are the best for the average "Joe" out here, thats why you, and most of the fertilizer you spread on the various sites, are mocked by most. It was just a few months ago that Dr. P's merchandise was the end all to be all. Who's gonna be next?

Ted

Great post OB1. Greg sorry, but Banks stuff is pretty low on performance for as high as it is on price. I wish you guys luck in your adventure, and hope you can put your and Gales money where your mouths are.

Ted, very good post and a great point to boot. And furthermore I'm glad to see you're coming back to the diesel racing world. I can't wait to see Black Sheep Racing.:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

COMP461 said:
And your opinion matters why?

Maybe my opinion doesn't matter but i dare you to show me a customer that is 100% satisfied with the power pack on the 98-02 dodges. I spent hours and hours trying to figure out why my truck didn't gain the 145 hp that is advertised. Hell I even sent the chip back to be reprogrammed because I just knew that it was screwed up. I spent hours talking to product support techs at banks trying to figure out why my truck was only building 21 psi of boost pressure and why it wasn't fueling until 2500 rpm. Once I figured out that I was had by Banks I trashed that POS chip they gave me and swapped it for a edge juice with attitude and gained the 145 extra horses. And just think that was only a 600 dollar upgrade and it gave me more power than everything Gale Banks had to offer...HUH sound like CHIT to you, it sure does to me.

bad_cummins said:
Maybe my opinion doesn't matter but i dare you to show me a customer that is 100% satisfied with the power pack on the 98-02 dodges. I spent hours and hours trying to figure out why my truck didn't gain the 145 hp that is advertised. Hell I even sent the chip back to be reprogrammed because I just knew that it was screwed up. I spent hours talking to product support techs at banks trying to figure out why my truck was only building 21 psi of boost pressure and why it wasn't fueling until 2500 rpm. Once I figured out that I was had by Banks I trashed that POS chip they gave me and swapped it for a edge juice with attitude and gained the 145 extra horses. And just think that was only a 600 dollar upgrade and it gave me more power than everything Gale Banks had to offer...HUH sound like CHIT to you, it sure does to me.

Exactly how did you trash it?:pop: How would you rate the differences between the Banks chip and the Edge Juice Chip? I installed a few Edge Juice with Attitude boxes on friends Dodges and these folks were very happy. I liked the turbo timer feature that the Edge had also......

ob1kobi said:
His opinion matters cause its all the dis-satisfied customers, as well as those that are satisfied, that are financing your racing ventures.

If your gonna get on your soap box and preach how Banks is the savior of the diesel world, just like you did with all the DR. P crap, then your gonna have listen to the people like him. Gale must love the advertisement that your giving him.

Your opinions are based on who's helping you out or who's lining your pockets, not whos products are the best for the average "Joe" out here, thats why you, and most of the fertilizer you spread on the various sites, are mocked by most. It was just a few months ago that Dr. P's merchandise was the end all to be all. Who's gonna be next?

Ted
------------
Ted:

GREAT POST!!:rockwoot:

I was at that "ATS Truckfest" @ Bandimere Speedway in Denver, Colorado in 2003 and there are a few things that happened at that event that the members here should know:

#1.) Gale Banks had bought one of "ATS Diesel's" Complete Billet Automatic Transmissions from Clint Cannon for that Banks LSR Truck SPECIFICALLY for that event. The darn thing was painted purple, ATS's color now and then.
As I recall, Banks told Clint they "would be running their ATS Stickers during the event." Yet, when they unloaded that LSR Truck no stickers and no mention of that ATS Transmission! I was personally asked by ATS personnel,
"to go over to the Banks Pit Area, look under the LSR Truck to see that it was in fact a purple ATS Unit and then ask Banks Personnel; "What type of automatic transmission are you running?" Well I did that, and it was a purple ATS unit and when asked what type of transmission they were running the Banks Pit Crew replied; "Uh,......its a Banks Transmission." I then said, "Really, it looks like an ATS Unit with the purple paint on it." The Banks employee looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said; "Well you are going to have to talk to Gale Banks about that" and they walked away from me and into their enclosed cargo racing trailer. Why did Banks Personnel feel they had to LIE about the LSR Truck running the ATS Transmission??

#2.) Before #1, I specifically asked the same Banks Pit Crew "How they felt the Banks LSR Truck would do against the Bentz Dragster." They replied, "We will beat that dragster!" FACT: They lost and lost BAD!

#3.) During practice runs, the Driver of that Banks LSR Truck (I believe it was Sheldon Tackett) seemed to be having trouble getting off the line at the staging lights. I heard the turbo "barking" on that truck and wondered if they were having some type of fueling issues. Shortly after one of these "attempts" to go down the track, Gale Banks was on the ramp of their racing trailer and asked Clint; "Why are all these trucks sitting at the line revving and brake torquing their engines?" He was told "To build up enough boost to get the turbos spooled!" After that their driver did somewhat better.
Now,....this is the "Guru of the Diesel World" that asked that question.

#4.) That Banks LSR Truck could have run against Richard Madsens (MADDOG'S) Truck, but mysteriously at the last minute Banks backed out and as I recall they used the reason of "malfunctions in the timing lights or something like that." Richard can give us the details on that. Fact is, they would have LOST that race too and IMO old Gale didn't want to "lose face!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, Competition Diesel Member "bad_cummins" gave a good post about his bad experiences with Banks Products and COMP's reply (and probably that of GBE too) was; "And your opinion matters why?" IMO,....that seems to the "mindset"
at that company. There is another individual in California by the name of Matt McDonald who could give the members here a real earful about an engine failure he had with Banks Products. That whole story can be read in www.dodgetruckworld/dieselengine.com. if it is still there!
Why does all of this matter? Well,..... like I have said before, IMO, character, integrity and honesty seem to be a thing of the past with old Gale, GBE and COMP and once all that goes out the window, all the rest is just "fluff!"

-------
John_P

Last edited:
Well, let's certainly be fair.

Edge does not sell racing stuff.
Diablo doesn't.
Van Aaken doesn't.
Banks doesn't.
Hypertech doesn't.
Superchips doesn't.
Etc, Etc.

I've know engines have let loose with all those brands though. And even with stock tuning. All it takes is one stuck injector.

But since Banks also builds trucks for racing purposes, let's give them both barrels.

I certainly have no dog in this hunt. Just seems you're setting a much higher bar for Banks than you do for the rest of the diesel performance community, and I can't figure out why.

Last edited by a moderator:
RacinDuallie said:
Exactly how did you trash it?:pop: How would you rate the differences between the Banks chip and the Edge Juice Chip? I installed a few Edge Juice with Attitude boxes on friends Dodges and these folks were very happy. I liked the turbo timer feature that the Edge had also......

I trashed it by tossing the chip in a box then threw it in the useless parts storage that is in my barn, just to make sure that it will never be put on another truck agian.

The difference between the edge juice and the banks was amazing. I would say that the edge makes more power that the banks did on level 2x1, it was a huge difference with the edge at it is by far the best product i have on my truck.

McRat said:

Diablo doesn't.
Van Aaken doesn't.
Banks doesn't.
Hypertech doesn't.
Superchips doesn't.
Etc, Etc.

I've know engines have let loose with all those brands though. And even with stock tuning. All it takes is one stuck injector.

But since Banks also builds trucks for racing purposes, let's give them both barrels, and call them crooks, cheats, liars, etc.

I certainly have no dog in this hunt. Just seems you're setting a much higher bar for Banks than you do for the rest of the diesel performance community, and I can't figure out why.

You have a very good point in this post no banks doesn't make racing parts for my truck. However they claim to make 145 additional hp almost as much as the drag comp or hot juice. I set the bar higher for them because I thought they were actually a good company and thought that i would make the power that they claimed to make. They seem to make every other product on the market inferior to their products and i gurantee their products didn't make the power they claimed to make.

McRat said:

Banks doesn't.

But since Banks also builds trucks for racing purposes, let's give them both barrels, and call them crooks, cheats, liars, etc.

You sure about that?

Comp461's Sig said:
GALE
Banks
Diesel Racing Engines

BANKSPOWER RACING

Sounds like an ad for "diesel racing" stuff to me.

Last edited:
McRat said:

Diablo doesn't.
Van Aaken doesn't.
Banks doesn't.
Hypertech doesn't.
Superchips doesn't.
Etc, Etc.

----------------------------------
McRat:

I guess what "lpreston" posted to you pretty well sums it up for me!

I guess the way I look at it, is if you want everyone to "think you are the biggest, the best and the fastest" and you get on every T.V. show you can,
every magazine that there is and also run down every other diesel vendor you can in your ads with "fluff" that is NOT TRUE, then IMO you DESERVE what follows from that!

I don't see representatives from Edge, Diablo, Van Aaken, Hypertech or Superchips in these areas doing what GBE does! It is not so much "what they do, but HOW they do it!" I thought that maybe my "examples" in my post above would drive that home, but as I said, many people in the diesel world don't seem to care about character, honesty, integrity etc. And FWIW, there is ALOT more that has gone on with GBE than what I listed in that small post above.

IMO, if they are labeled by me as a crook, cheat or liar they have done something to deserve that, I can assure you of that. Again,......see my post above and if you need more information I can definitely give you some.

No disrespect to you or any other member here, but facts are facts.

--------
John_P

No, Edge doesn't sell racing stuff, neither does Banks. It's not where the money is, too small a market with too high a risk.

I heard so much bad press about Banks with the Dmax, that when I finally tested their harness box, I expected fully to light them up publically. Much to my embarrassment, it did make the advertised HP on a dyno, (RWHP) and backed it up with track results. Certainly not "racing" HP, but did match what was printed on the box. A bit over 400rwhp on a Mustang and about 14 seconds flat in a crew cab Dmax.

I don't run Banks stuff, but I do put them on par with Edge. A simple to use, reliable product with good street manners.

I've tested the majority of Dmax tuning products over the last 3 years. There ARE some real lemons (bully dog comes to mind) but Banks is not one of them. It's a mid pack harness box that fills the needs of the typical user.

And it truly disgusts me that some weasel put a tuner on his truck and blew it up, and got a court to agree with him that it was the tunes fault. We are lucky that has not cut off the sale of diesel performance products. NONE of this **** is safe and sane. There is not a tune on the market that will improve the lifespan of an engine.

I suggest to those who have not run a Banks tuner, to borrow one and test it, then beat them up. Every truck I've driven with one runs OK. Slow, but OK :D

Like I said, I don't sell Banks, run their stuff, or race for them. But I have tested their stuff just like all the rest, and cannot understand why an Edge Box is Made By The Hand Of God, and Banks By The Hand Of Satan. And don't even get me started with Van "Is It Working" Aaken.

Come to think of it, the WORST diesel tuning product is better than the best gasoline tuning product that I've seen. You want "inflated claims" wait until you run a Superchips (+25HP !!!) and drop 40rwhp on a dyno repeatibly with an LS1 engine.

This is nothing but John and Preston attempt to become relevant. They along with anothers are just dog piling , assuming an easy time of bashing . Go ahead, I will still be out front, and helping the people that IM or call me everyday.

I again tell you that if anyone product makes everyone happy and doesn’t have someone bashing it , then it is a dollar for being sold for 50 cents ,

The is nothing but a group of jealous people that are taking up for the old guard that is losing market share , I am there target plain and simple , because I’m responsible for opening the eyes about a lot Diesel performance misconceptions . Every Gas performance person I have asked to become involved is being covered up with work, and some of it coming from their reviled old Guard. This is hurting them where it hurts, in the wallet. John how many times did you Schieds motor get built before it make power and stayed together, no less then 4 people IM’ed me that today?

The deal about the ether, it was 1 to 2 cans at a constant spray, to keep it idling. And I didn’t even know what their name was, but 2 to 3 IM’ed me again during that deal and said the exact same thing happened at Indy to the same people

Now to another house cleaning, Eric McBride, you grew 100% in my eyes when you stuck by you guns on rules, and didn’t give in to the conflict of interest even when it cost you your ride

You will be seeing more of me on the track and in the news, nothing that you and a few can do about that ,

Last edited:
COMP461 said:
This is nothing but John and Preston attempt to become relevant. They along with anothers are just dog piling , assuming an easy time of bashing . Go ahead, I will still be out front, and helping the people that IM or call me everyday.

Dog pile? What a fun game as I recall.... oh, back to your post. I could give a $hit what you think of me. I am who I am. I back up everything out of my mouth. I don't say one thing to one person and then turn around and say something different to someone else. I (nor Keating) did not make excuses when he lost to you at Bowling Green.

I again tell you that if anyone product makes everyone happy and doesn’t have someone bashing it , then it is a dollar for being sold for 50 cents ,

Um, how many you got for sale?

The is nothing but a group of jealous people that are taking up for the old guard that is losing market share , I am there target plain and simple , because I’m responsible for opening the eyes about a lot Diesel performance misconceptions . Every Gas performance person I have asked to become involved is being covered up with work, and some of it coming from their reviled old Guard. This is hurting them where it hurts, in the wallet.

1. Typo...should be "This" and not "The". Next is....oh nevermind...this post would be a bandwidth hog if I corrected all of them.
2. Losing market share. How? In a market segment that is just starting to grow?

The deal about the ether, it was 1 to 2 cans at a constant spray, to keep it idling. And I didn’t even know what their name was, but 2 to 3 IM’ed me again during that deal and said the exact same thing happened at Indy to the same people

:blahblah1: Greg...dead horse. *bdh*

See...the interesting thing here is that I have been at several events where "Ether-mania" supposedly happened. Unless you are there, you are not a witness to the event and that leads to the ability for a story to get, well, blown out of the water. Remember the game we played as kids where you said something to the person next to you, and then they repeated it to the person next to them, and it went around the whole circle? Yeah...never the same as the start. Here is a shocker for you....we have used some starting fluid. YES! Sorry to say. Oh....it was 26 degrees out and we forgot the block heater cord. She didn't want to start much.

I think there may have been this diesel powered rail that had a little assist from some Ether than I think, not sure tho, may have been faster than you in a 1/4 mile....I'll need to check my facts.

Now to another house cleaning, Eric McBride, you grew 100% in my eyes when you stuck by you guns on rules, and didn’t give in to the conflict of interest even when it cost you your ride

Holy open eyes, Batman! You finally have seen what the hell I had been telling you for years! Congrats on the first step.

You will be seeing more of me on the track and in the news, nothing that you and a few can do about that ,

Like at Pomona?

Last edited:
LOL
COMP461 said:

The is nothing but a group of jealous people that are taking up for the old guard that is losing market share , I am there target plain and simple , because I’m responsible for opening the eyes about a lot Diesel performance misconceptions . Every Gas performance person I have asked to become involved is being covered up with work, and some of it coming from their reviled old Guard. This is hurting them where it hurts, in the wallet. John how many times did you Schieds motor get built before it make power and stayed together, no less then 4 people IM’ed me that today?

-----------------------------------
Still on the ether issue huh Greg???*bdh* Let me say it AGAIN, it was a ONE SHOT from ONE can!! And I don't know who you get your information from but they ARE WRONG!! It was that way at Denver and it was also that way at Indy! This year you better stand right next to those trucks and "count" so you can keep your facts straight! Or have your "spies" there with their calculators! BTW,.....you got the guts to say who those four IM's came from??

And I find your comments about Eric McBride interesting too! Now all of a sudden he's your hero but when we spoke at Atlanta you said you "Hated his guts and it was HIM, not Dan Scheid or Scheid Diesel you had a problem with!" My,.....how quickly you change your stories COMP!!:hehe: You need to keep your facts straight Greg!

And why don't you just drop the "jealousy" issue with your big ride with Banks!
I could CARE LESS about you, Gale Banks or any of the people associated with his company! I don't get "jealous" of people I don't respect COMP!
I seriously doubt that someone like Keating cares either because he and Lewis have SO MUCH more class than you there is not even a comparison!!
You say you "are opening the eyes about alot of diesel misconceptions?" Which one is that? The one that says "we are going to eliminate black smoke by spraying ALOT of NOS so old Gale doesn't get upset and we can beat everybody else by just adding more NOS!" Yeah,.....I already knew that!
Distort the truth, slam and criticize the competitors and promote yourself!
That's the COMP 461 way! You said in your post "You are the target plain and simple"............ Greg,.....here's a "news flash" for you,.....you are the TARGET because you can't keep your mouth shut, you think you know everything and you attack all your competitors!! You didn't listen to a darn thing I tried to tell you in Atlanta, do your talking on the track, not in these forums!!

You bring up the engine in my 96' and want to know about that? Those four IM's you received don't have their facts straight either,......BUT, we are used to that with you COMP!! FYI,...the original Cummins 5.9 12 valve block in that 96' had 218,000 hard miles on it when it was originally rebuilt. Shortly after that, the #3 cylinder developed "pinholes" between the cylinder hole and the cooling jacket causing the coolant to push forward in the engine which caused the radiator to fill up and from there the overflow bottle.
This problem had nothing to do with anything Scheid did to that engine but more my fault for not putting a new block in there to begin with. And FWIW Kent Crowder had recommended that I do that but I decided not to. I know of at least two other 12 valve blocks that the same thing happened to. Maybe that is why Cummins no longer offers the old 12 valve Cummins blocks. So, if you want to call me a dumb *** for my mistake on that, go ahead, I deserve it! Once that block was changed out I did have some issues with a couple of my oil rings not seating in and started to have some blow-by.
Dan Scheid, Mike Wood and Brad Ingram took care of that for me this past summer/fall. That is it!! I guess you think you thought you had some precious piece of information with my engine and Scheid Diesel huh??
Let me tell you something Greg. You may refer to Dan Scheid as the "old guard" but he has built more engines, pumps, turbos, injectors than you EVER WILL!! He and his company and the customers of his company have more championship trophies and titles in the diesel performance world than you ever will!! His diesel engines have dominated the DHRA the last four to five years, if not in HIS OWN trucks or his employees trucks, those of his competitors! That is a fact! And he has more class, character, honesty and integrity than you will ever have! And if you think yourself or old Gale Banks is
"hurting them (Scheid Diesel) where it hurts, in the wallet" you are DEAD WRONG!! Dan Scheid has been around ALOT longer than you and he will continue to prosper because of his great customer service and commitment to excellence! And I could care less if your new found buddy, Eric McBride has told you anything different because I have known Dan Scheid for over ten years now! Why don't you go up to Dan Scheid at the next event you see him at and say some of these things to his face?? I would really like to see that!

Finally,...we know we will "see you in the news!" Everyone here knows how you like the cameras and interviews to have a chance to promote YOURSELF at the expense of others!:blahblah1: That is old news!! Maybe you could get that picture of yourself standing by that "flow bench" like you told "Racin Duallie!"

--------
John_P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back