Single Disk Converter?

I'm sure a single would be great if you had everything dialed in just perfect but why not use a tripple? If you really want to 'hook and lock' it's hard to beat that extra surface area...right?

I like how a single disk keeps the throttle snappy because of the light weight. Triples are nice, just 2x the price of a single.... Im cheap:)

snappy in a tubo charged Diesel.....ok. So you're saying that a tripple-disk isn't snappy or as snappy?

I guess if I rode the clutch a little more the motor would have a little more snap to it?

It is in, locks agressively and holds. We need to check the pressure and be sure that it isn't too much. More info coming soon.

i had a single in my 03 dodge that worked well for me i didnt have alot of power but it was a huge improvement over stock

i had a single in my 03 dodge that worked well for me i didnt have alot of power but it was a huge improvement over stock

Anything that comes out'a Jeff or Phill shop is 100% better than stock IMHO. :rockwoot:

I can see a single doing VERY well under 450 RWHP but anything over that would just get silly on pressure IHMO.

Anything that comes out'a Jeff or Phill shop is 100% better than stock IMHO. :rockwoot:

I can see a single doing VERY well under 450 RWHP but anything over that would just get silly on pressure IHMO.

:hehe: :hehe:

I guess...maybe one of these days I can test mine out at over 450hp:D
Chris

Yaeah, yeah I hear ya. Next thing ya know we will have Bill in here or all the guys from DTT brag'n about how the single is better than the tripple. Then the guys with the 'numbers' will chim in and ask them why they don't have record numbers. ........

I think there is a reason folks use tripples or sometimes MORE. I bet ya $$$ there is someone here who has used at least 5 clutches (disks) in their converter.......

It's how I see see it, just voicing an opinion. Hell, I hope I'm wrong. I would love to have a billet faced single converter! I think it would be great for most trucks. However, I do wonder about pressure, weight, pulling, killing fluid and general wear. Then again, the singles from most builders seem to last a while.

EDIT: I'm on the fence. I'll just sit here and see what happens.

ATS has a 5 disk converter. Some have a weighted multi disk for pulling, helps carry the revs down the track. Moments of ineritia and such:)

Jim Fulmer runs a single disk (I think) and has good numbers (600-700hp) as the years have gone on.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for triples, or even the 5 disk unit...but I do get a little tired of hearing how bad singes are for anyone making bigger power (heck, even average power by today's standards!) Mine works great, although I do with it was a bit looser, but that's not because it's a single disk! I've seen trucks with A LOT more power than mine run just fine with them as well.

That being said, my 1/2 ton has a triple, but only because I bought the tranny with the truck...if I had to build one for it, I'd have to have a discussion with my builder about which is better suited for it.

Run what the builder likes...without a good tranny builder, you got nothing!
Chris

I would like to do a single in my dd, the lighter the truck would probably help a single stay going strong as well

I liked my DTT single I had first, was a solid converter but I ended up frying it when I started spraying the 24v, wouldn't even lock up and didn't appreciate having to be down 4 weeks to get it rebuilt under warranty by DTT, that was citty business by them.

Back