Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

Arg talk about a pain in the arse! Should have had it together Sunday night... But nooooo, stupid engine has to rock back when you put the transmission in. Totally forgot about that :doh: Ended up clearancing my firewall to make everything fit... I'll get some pictures up later, but trust me when I say I had to clearance it I'm talking with a sawsall. Then just a bunch of other random stupid stuff. Lost the prime to my IP so I decided to go ahead and install my Holley Blue; solved that problem in a hurry. Had to make some random things (fitting for the oiling for the turbo). Had a loose injector (some bonehead didn't fully tighten the #2 injector).

Not with a 400 series charger they only go down to 9cm and light super quick

Yeah we're just a little wrong on that one... Must me more like 5 or 6cm cause that thing will NOT let you bring the engine up to even start to build boost before choking it out. Adjusted my actuator arm to open up the housing and HOLY CRAP Thing is friggin awesome! I have to find a way to steal the good camera from the fiance (don't want to cell phone this video), but this thing is a screamer. Holds 1psi of boost @ idle as of right now and I can get it to 30psi before the housing opens up and the boost dips. I need to adjust my needle valve and maybe open the housing up just a hair (the turbo barks really gentle when I shut the truck off and the shaft spins for an entire minute). I was extremely impressed with the fact that I can open the housing up almost all the way and it still spools faster than my HX40.

With the way it sets now the boost goes from 1psi to 10psi at very light throttle just easing into it from 10-20mph. If I stomp on it it jumps straight to 20psi... Hardly ANY smoke, just a puff. Doesn't build boost as fast on a free rev though, my HX40 actually built more on a free rev. I can't give a full review on performance though because I have to be nice to my tranny. Somehow my VB with a shift kit in it got mixed up with a stocker :bang So, I'll just have to wait a day or two and get another kit and throw it in there. But, until then, I am going to enjoy my gain in mileage over my other truck (96 1500 5spd 318 RCSB) and drive it nice. Either way, I still have MY truck back (the other one is technically my fiance's).

Got a drive pressure gauge? That will give you an idea of what the VGT is doing and you can tune the thing a little better...

Got a drive pressure gauge? That will give you an idea of what the VGT is doing and you can tune the thing a little better...

I have another boost gauge that goes to 35psi that I could hook up.... Not quite sure how though. I know I would have to coil up copper tubing to keep the line long enough to allow the air to cool. But how would I keep it from gunking up with soot???

Put a small filter inline, maybe some small steel wool jammed in a compression union. The 35psi gauge will be too small.

Did I mention this turbo is friggin awesome?! Had the valve body with the shift kit all along, just some how managed to not get 2 1/2 QUARTS of ATF in there... Had a leaky pan too; ended up helicoiling 8 holes :bang

Only thing that bothers me is that I can still only push 30psi of boost and I've got a stop set up on the back side of the bracket to only let the housing open up so far. I'm beginning to think I have a swiss cheese IC :(

Thing I like most about this set up is that the turbo is so responsive I can break the tires loose on command in 2nd gear and get a little squirrely in 3rd (no traction bars so I would imagine lots of axle wrap). This turbo being so lightning quick makes for some serious low end torque too... I pass from 50mph in OD smoke free just by tipping into it just a bit and it friggin plants you in the seat!

I mean now that I have this turbo I see just how lazy the HX40 really was. To pass I always had to drop out of OD into 3rd LU, creep up on their arse while waiting to hit 10psi, then can it get in the other lane and throw it back into OD... Granted that made for a ridiculously quick (and fun) pass; it still shows how lazy the 40 was. Could also flat foot it, or tip in 1/2 way, off the line and not break the tires loose. If I don't roll into it off the line now I just blow the tires off.

BTW anyone have any guesses as to how long my stock input shaft will survive? :evil (I think I'll wait on the posi and cal-tracs until I get a billet input)

And just when you think all the Grass Roots guys are dead:kick: Good job Blacksky....nice to see someone skin up their knuckles

Did I mention this turbo is friggin awesome?! Had the valve body with the shift kit all along, just some how managed to not get 2 1/2 QUARTS of ATF in there... Had a leaky pan too; ended up helicoiling 8 holes :bang

Only thing that bothers me is that I can still only push 30psi of boost and I've got a stop set up on the back side of the bracket to only let the housing open up so far. I'm beginning to think I have a swiss cheese IC :(

Thing I like most about this set up is that the turbo is so responsive I can break the tires loose on command in 2nd gear and get a little squirrely in 3rd (no traction bars so I would imagine lots of axle wrap). This turbo being so lightning quick makes for some serious low end torque too... I pass from 50mph in OD smoke free just by tipping into it just a bit and it friggin plants you in the seat!

I mean now that I have this turbo I see just how lazy the HX40 really was. To pass I always had to drop out of OD into 3rd LU, creep up on their arse while waiting to hit 10psi, then can it get in the other lane and throw it back into OD... Granted that made for a ridiculously quick (and fun) pass; it still shows how lazy the 40 was. Could also flat foot it, or tip in 1/2 way, off the line and not break the tires loose. If I don't roll into it off the line now I just blow the tires off.

BTW anyone have any guesses as to how long my stock input shaft will survive? :evil (I think I'll wait on the posi and cal-tracs until I get a billet input)

Never fear you got VOLUME and with some fine tuning you can get more...hang an external spring on that wgc so it builds more drive pressure

And just when you think all the Grass Roots guys are dead:kick: Good job Blacksky....nice to see someone skin up their knuckles

:Cheer: Between the turbo and injector upgrades I have I have a whopping $500 in the engine on this thing. That is if you don't count my double bypass filter set up on the fender :D

I don't mind cheap if it means having to fab a couple of things... Frankly, that's half the fun! Definitely left a little blood under the hood this time :p

Got any vids of it?

I was going to get some of it today, but got a little hung up on a few random projects for friends. I have every intention of getting some vids posted up soon. Probably actually take a couple of short films and splice them together with movie maker.

Never fear you got VOLUME and with some fine tuning you can get more...hang an external spring on that wgc so it builds more drive pressure

This is true, kinda like going from 45+ psi with my stocker to 35psi with the HX40... It's a lesser reading on the gauge, but it's definitely getting more air. A little tuning and I managed about 34psi today. It's kinda hard to watch the gauge; thing gets so squirrelly now that I have to pay attention to keeping it on the road :rockwoot:

On a side note: it's more than likely time for my Fastenal head studs and a timing bump. Just have to find the time to pull one of each length stud and get to town (without my truck) to get them ordered and my Snap-On guy still hasn't showed up with my timing tool set :doh:

Last edited:
We want video!!!

I was going to try and get some taken today and post it up tonight... But my fiance decided we should take her car on the 80 mile (one way) trip to her parents place :( Kinda makes me sad, my truck gets the same mileage and I'm just a tad bit excited to have it back and wanted to take it for a long drive.

Trust me I want to get some video of this thing up like none other. I really think these turbos could be the base for the next generation of aftermarket turbos. Maybe it's just my silly opinion, but you get the best of both worlds; a small housing for lightning quick spool off the line, a big housing to keep it cool up top, and everything inbetween for ridiculous throttle response... I'll tell you what, this thing is every bit as responsive as a gas engine now.

Only thing that sucks is that I don't have a working tach or speedo, so the only things I can really focus on will be the boost/pyro gauges and try to comment on the SOP feeling.

So you're just using a w/g actuator for control??

:evil :evil

Chris

Yep, right now with the way I have it set up the actuator seems to start opening the housing around 12-15psi (watching the linkage while free-reving the engine). Made an adjustable stop to keep it from opening up all the way and I'm still playing with the actuator arm length for initial housing size. Seems to be working quite well thus far. I have yet to hook onto a trailer with it, but I have some scrap to haul for a friend and plan on loading it up pretty good.

How's that 500 series charger looking for you BTW? The 400 series still let's it smoke plenty on a no boost flat foot take off; but it still launches decent. At least now instead of just sitting there smoking like a freight train it smokes like a freight train and MOVES.

The other thing I have noticed is that my truck almost sounds like I have a slightly burnt out stock muffler on it :( WAY too quiet, but maybe now I'll stay out of trouble... Seems the fixed vanes in the housing must act as baffles and quiet things down A LOT :doh: Or they could be making better use of the wasted energy that would normally be exhaust note :rockwoot:

Well this has inspired me, I just bought an HE351ve off E-bay this morning. I am going to try to set it up as a single and then add a GT4292 for twins.

I want to try and incorporate a way that I can fully shut the vanes for an exhaust brake, and have them at rest a bit open so it doesn't choke as you described earlier.

I am really excited about this! right now I have the hy55 72mm comp wheel Holset vgt to try out, or my s362 over s480. I was planning on using my twin setup but now I might just put on the vgt single. Great job man!

Yep, right now with the way I have it set up the actuator seems to start opening the housing around 12-15psi (watching the linkage while free-reving the engine). Made an adjustable stop to keep it from opening up all the way and I'm still playing with the actuator arm length for initial housing size. Seems to be working quite well thus far. I have yet to hook onto a trailer with it, but I have some scrap to haul for a friend and plan on loading it up pretty good.

How's that 500 series charger looking for you BTW? The 400 series still let's it smoke plenty on a no boost flat foot take off; but it still launches decent. At least now instead of just sitting there smoking like a freight train it smokes like a freight train and MOVES.

The other thing I have noticed is that my truck almost sounds like I have a slightly burnt out stock muffler on it :( WAY too quiet, but maybe now I'll stay out of trouble... Seems the fixed vanes in the housing must act as baffles and quiet things down A LOT :doh: Or they could be making better use of the wasted energy that would normally be exhaust note :rockwoot:

Charger looks big...I'm still working on a couple ideas of a "better" way to control it...I say better because I really don't know if it's better or not, but what I'm thinking on will still give you the fail safe of having the housing open if something breaks.

We'll see what I come up with...did I mention that charger is big??

Keep tinkering with it and report back if you find anything new;)
Chris

Well this has inspired me, I just bought an HE351ve off E-bay this morning. I am going to try to set it up as a single and then add a GT4292 for twins.

I want to try and incorporate a way that I can fully shut the vanes for an exhaust brake, and have them at rest a bit open so it doesn't choke as you described earlier.

I am thinking of going to a slightly lighter spring actuator, scribe on the housing a mark where I want it to hold open for cruising then set up a solenoid to push it to that mark. That way when I shut the solenoid off (or turn it on depends on what type I pick up) it will allow the actuator to pull the housing shut and into the exhaust brake mode... Just an idea though; I want to get it tuned and running just right before I start playing with that.

I am really excited about this! right now I have the hy55 72mm comp wheel Holset vgt to try out, or my s362 over s480. I was planning on using my twin setup but now I might just put on the vgt single. Great job man!

Sounds like fun! I think if you guys can get those bigger comp housing Holset VGT's to work on a competetive level and be streetable it could be the next hot ticket item for DD trucks that happen to be weekend wariors.

Charger looks big...I'm still working on a couple ideas of a "better" way to control it...I say better because I really don't know if it's better or not, but what I'm thinking on will still give you the fail safe of having the housing open if something breaks.

We'll see what I come up with...did I mention that charger is big??

Keep tinkering with it and report back if you find anything new;)
Chris

That's not a bad idea with the failsafe. But maybe see if the housing needs to be open at all??? That is if it's as big as you say it is. I know what you mean by being worried about how big it is though. The exhaust housing on this one (HE451VeTi) is at least 8" in diameter and a good 2 1/2" wide :aiwebs_019: But like I said, I can open it up almost all the way for the initial setting and it still spools quicker than my old 40 ever did!!!

I'm hoping to get home today with enough time to take the truck out and get some video so I can post it up tonight. Even if I don't I'll wire some lights back into my gauges so I can at least show how fast the spool is :rockwoot:

Just a forewarning, my gauges are kinda ghetto rigged to my dash, one is a big pyro out of a kenworth and the other is a normal sized boost gauge out of another truck we had laying around. So don't make fun; I'm poor and it works :shake: :hehe:

Sorry guys.... Just got all kinds of busy now... Dad just flipped the 4 wheeler over on himself while climbing a hill (luckily it was an old 125 Honda so it didn't kill him). But he landed on his head in the fetal position and then had the ATV roll on top of him. So I'm gonna be busy in the shop doing all of his work.

I might take some time around lunch and try to get some videos taken. But it all depends.

That sucks. Hope he is doing ok.

Its good to see someone else experimenting with these turbos and proving the simple mechanical solution will work. Its good to see a diesel guy trying it too :rockwoot:

I'll have to put up some of the pictures I got today at my parent's place. My dad adapted the HE551V that I got onto one of our 8.3 Cummins powered combines. I got a quick video of the HE431Vti we used last year on teh other machine. Its too bad the digital camera doesn't pick up the whistle.

As you noticed the turbo puts out more or a light grey haze all the time. I think part of it is from the lack of a true divided housing. Both the HE431V and He551V do it. At low load high rpm it haze more of a light grey haze than the 19cm, 8 Blade Hx40 that was on there before.

As you noted, exhaust noise is much lower than with the Hx40 too. My car is incredibly quiet with the HE351VE too, even with an 8" long 3" diameter exhaust(other than massive turbine whine before the VGt opens. )

Back