Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

Where would a person run into one of these he551 turbos? How big is the compressor wheel on the 431? Thanks

So the 431 has the same wheel as the he351? Is the only benefit over the he351 the exhaust housing? Do you think the he551 wouild make a decent set of towing twins with like a he351 on top of it? I'm always looking for a quicker set of turbos but I just can't afford the ball bearing turbo's.

That sucks. Hope he is doing ok.

Its good to see someone else experimenting with these turbos and proving the simple mechanical solution will work. Its good to see a diesel guy trying it too :rockwoot:

I'll have to put up some of the pictures I got today at my parent's place. My dad adapted the HE551V that I got onto one of our 8.3 Cummins powered combines. I got a quick video of the HE431Vti we used last year on teh other machine. Its too bad the digital camera doesn't pick up the whistle.

As you noticed the turbo puts out more or a light grey haze all the time. I think part of it is from the lack of a true divided housing. Both the HE431V and He551V do it. At low load high rpm it haze more of a light grey haze than the 19cm, 8 Blade Hx40 that was on there before.

As you noted, exhaust noise is much lower than with the Hx40 too. My car is incredibly quiet with the HE351VE too, even with an 8" long 3" diameter exhaust(other than massive turbine whine before the VGt opens. )

Yes I have noticed that they haze pretty good at idle... Especially with my bigger sticks. Hazes more than my 370's ever did, but cleans up right off idle for me.

You'll have to report back on how well the 551 does on the 8.3; I would imagine it should work quite well.

Yeah these turbos SCREAM when closed all the way up and even with the way I have it set up now it sings a pretty good song. Maybe with a little luck my camera will pick up the whistle :rockwoot:

BTW My dad is doing ok now, just in a lot of pain. But at least he didn't break his back as we first thought. But I will still be pretty busy in the shop doing ALL of his work so he doesn't hurt himself.

60mm inducer

Yep

So the 431 has the same wheel as the he351? Is the only benefit over the he351 the exhaust housing? Do you think the he551 wouild make a decent set of towing twins with like a he351 on top of it? I'm always looking for a quicker set of turbos but I just can't afford the ball bearing turbo's.

Well here's some numbers straight from the Cummins website about mass air flow...

300 series - .46 Kg/s (~61 lbs/min) <- same as an HX35 oddly enough
400 series - .54 Kg/s (~72 lbs/min) <- slightly better than an HX40
500 series - .72 Kg/s (~95 lbs/min) <- slightly less than an HX55

I think if one could set it up right that a 500 series under a 300 series would be a pretty sweet set up. Especially if you could figure out how to get the exhaust brake to work. I predict that would be the ultimate set of towing twins.

Wheel measurements on the He551V.

Compressor
Inducer 71.75mm
Exducer 108.1mm

Turbine
Inducer 86mm
Exducer 75mm
The exhaust flange is the same as on the HE431V, but rotated 90 degrees.

A bunch of pictures here and more details.
http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=227
This shows just how big it looks. Its sitting next to a HE351Ve.
P2080090.jpg

We will find out how well it works come summer, but initial impressions are very good. The 431 definitely worked well last year.

Wheel measurements on the He551V.

Compressor
Inducer 71.75mm
Exducer 108.1mm

Turbine
Inducer 86mm
Exducer 75mm
The exhaust flange is the same as on the HE431V, but rotated 90 degrees.

A bunch of pictures here and more details.
http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=227
This shows just how big it looks. Its sitting next to a HE351Ve.
P2080090.jpg

We will find out how well it works come summer, but initial impressions are very good. The 431 definitely worked well last year.

HOLY MASSIVE TURBO BATMAN... The 400 series has the same general size compressor housing as the 300 series does it not??? Though that exhaust housing looks to be about the same size as the one on my 451...

Maybe I'll get to taking some pics/video tomorrow before I go get my dad from the hospital.

Say Aero, while I have you here... Do you know of any way to watch shaft speed on these since they have a factory sensor on them? The Cummins site says they're balanced for 170,000 rpm, but I'd like to be able to tune it to stay under 150k. That is if I could watch it :poke:

Garret sells a sensor and gauge package that is very reasonably priced, ie the average person can afford.

Garrett makes a turbo speed monitor, I don't know how expensive it is or if it would be compatible with the sensor in the holsets or not.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/Accessories_continue_speed_sensor.html

I wonder what the stock sensor is. I would expect an inductive sensor, but I don't know for sure.

Edit, you beat me to it. I sat on the reply too long haha.

AWESOME... Even looks like the harness will work with the stock sensor. I just sent an email to a couple of shops asking if they thought it would work :)

And Chris, that thing is going to get you in trouble! Mine is a monster all in it's own. Mom tried doing a fly by on me last night in her grand prix... Ran up on me doing 90 when I was probably cruising 70-75. I nailed it when she got up right next to me and she never made it past my front bumper before I shot past her. Of course she claims she lifted at 100.

EDIT: Then we both felt bad for doing that on the interstate... Mom was a stock car driver in her younger days and knows all about keeping it on the track. Parents raised me that way too, we're not quite sure what got into us. Especially since we were on our way home from the hospital after visiting my dad :badidea:

Last edited:
Hey BlackSky the green wire in the pic runs to the inductive pickup. I one from a VW that has a flat three prong weather pack connector on it. Would be neat if the autometer gauge would work with this as the sensor that comes with the gauge requires the housing to be machined.

Hey BlackSky the green wire in the pic runs to the inductive pickup. I one from a VW that has a flat three prong weather pack connector on it. Would be neat if the autometer gauge would work with this as the sensor that comes with the gauge requires the housing to be machined.

I see that. One of the shops replied that it would not work, while the other said it might... They said that the sensor counts blades but only sends a 1 in 8 signal. So it might just be possible to make it work with the Garret gauge. On a side note; Autometer makes a gauge that can read that high???

Bump for vids.

As soon as I get a chance I will get some and post them up. I was wrong before... My dad fractured his L2 vertebrae. So I'm just a tad bit busy in the shop now. I'm really hoping to be able to get some video tomorrow.

Best wishes for your father.

Thanks... He's doing ok, he was actually out in the shop all day today with me helping me with little stuff. I have to watch him like a hawk so he doesn't try to actually do anything though.

Sorry I didn't call you on those injectors. I had to get my truck up and going because I needed it. Now I REALLY need it for doing service calls :doh:

Well boys... Here are a couple of the much awaited videos. I couldn't splice them togother because I was at a friends place (I can edit video on my computer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetP-ThD-lI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0AbWy-4NBI&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TxJfIOPP3c&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeBs_USlUgw&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsg74WAT2L4&feature=channel

ENJOY... We're probably gonna put a few more up, but I figured that would whet your whistle.

:tree: Maybe try and see what it will do in the 1/4 this spring :D :evil

Kinda hard on that tire! What kind of boost are you making in these videos? What mods are you running on this turbo? Just trying to get a feel as to this turbo. Looks quick once it spools which is pretty quick also.

Kinda hard on that tire! What kind of boost are you making in these videos? What mods are you running on this turbo? Just trying to get a feel as to this turbo. Looks quick once it spools which is pretty quick also.

Yeah... Imagine my poor spider gears!! I REALLY need to invest in a billet input as soon as I get the chance. That way I can install my posi, 3.73 rear gears and cal-tracs...

Then we'll see :tree:

Just AFC mods, 5x.014" (435) injectors, and the poor mans 3kGSK (washers). I do have a goerend tripple disc, trans-go shift kit and the Borg-Warner rebuild kit with the extra clutches in it as well as updated seals. As far as spool goes it's a lot more responsive when just cruising. I think I need to tighten my AFC up just a tad to control the low end; it seems to choke it out a bit :doh:

I plan to take it to the local 1/4 mile in it's current state and again after I install the rest of my goodies installed. Also gonna advance my timing to 19* as soon as I get my dial indicator (darn snap-on man) and install a mack rack plug after the billet input. Right now I'm using the one wheel wonder as a fuse.... I figure if I solve the traction issues my input will become the weak link :bang

EDIT: I forgot my FP regulator on the return side set to 42psi. The Holley blue really helped the top end out too. Used to pop and miss and carry on... Now it just screams, lacks a little on the top end pick up though, but I attribute that to the low timing.

Back