Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

Where is the boost at cruising? Have you towed with it yet? Could you post pics of the needle valve setup? How much is the needle valve opened? a crack? You mentioned you had a dip in boost when you first got it going, have you been able to tune that out? Do you feel you have it final tuned yet, or can it still improve? Great job man! Sorry about all the questions...

Looks like its working pretty well in the vids. Cleans up pretty fast.

Very cool!! great job.

Looks like its working pretty well in the vids. Cleans up pretty fast.

That it does; I need to play with the AFC tuning yet... I'm actually running the spring a little loose (adjusted the backstop and never re-adjusted the star wheel) right now and I think it will light quicker :ft:

Where is the boost at cruising? Have you towed with it yet? Could you post pics of the needle valve setup? How much is the needle valve opened? a crack? You mentioned you had a dip in boost when you first got it going, have you been able to tune that out? Do you feel you have it final tuned yet, or can it still improve? Great job man! Sorry about all the questions...

Averages about 10psi while cruising. Haven't towed with it just yet, but plan to very shortly. If it tows poorly then I'll just open up the housing a lil, I tow with it all summer during the tractor pulling season so that's my main concern. I can always close it back up for racing/cruising :Cheer:

Got it back up to 34psi so that's right in the ballpark of where it was. Though I suspect a pin-hole leak in the turbo to intercooler tube that I fabbed up (friend welded it for me cause I was busy fitting the water lines and needle valve). I'll try to get some pics of the needle valve, I don't think you can really see it in the one vid with the walk around and under hood shot very good. It kinda blends in since it's right along side the water lines.

Well as for my current fueling/timing set up is concerned it's tuned for now(minus a little bit of AFC tuning). But as I keep progressing things I'm sure I'll have to tweak it. I still have to figure out what the fittings are that go in to the center section are for the water so I can keep things cool in there.

No worries about the questions, without them you wouldn't learn what you wanted to.

Awesome! Looks like it is cleaning up your fuel really well. What are EGTs and boost readings like? Do you know the inducer and exducer size of the compressor wheel?

Awesome! Looks like it is cleaning up your fuel really well. What are EGTs and boost readings like? Do you know the inducer and exducer size of the compressor wheel?
Compressor
EX 3.38
IND 2.37

Turbine
Ind 2.99
EX 2.635

What type of EGT are you seeing when cruising? during hard acceleration?

550* cruising and I can currently peg the 1800* pyro I have :ft:... But that's on a top end run in OD. For the most part it doesn't get over 1500*. I'm hoping timing will solve it, otherwise I will have to set my backstop to allow the housing to open up more. That's the beauty of this turbo; it's only open about 2/3 the way right now (full open the way I have it adjusted)

I sure think it's doing an awesome job :evil We'll see how it does after 181's and a mack rack plug. Might have to use a little :nos: for playing :hehe:

Comp wheel measurements came out to 60mm ind/90mm exd :D

Bump

The more I drive this thing the more I want to put it on a dyno and see what kind of low end torque it's gonna have :evil That's and I'm pretty curious to see the numbers it will put down anyway :D

Bump

The more I drive this thing the more I want to put it on a dyno and see what kind of low end torque it's gonna have :evil That's and I'm pretty curious to see the numbers it will put down anyway :D

Do it. :rockwoot:

Do it. :rockwoot:

HAHAHA don't encourage me... I might just do it! Only thing I'm worried about is the stock input taking a dump on me :(

That and the people decided that they should fix things now that dad broke his back :bang I'm so busy it isn't even funny now... Bonus is I'll end up with plenty of money to play with; so maybe I'll get that billet input after all :D

HE551V project commencing...S480 bottom charger bit the big one, so I might as well try this thing out.

I'll let you know how/if it works!
Chris

HE551V project commencing...S480 bottom charger bit the big one, so I might as well try this thing out.

I'll let you know how/if it works!
Chris

Sweet, I am looking for a good deal on an HE551V right now. I already have an HE351v that I am putting on the truck figure if one VGT is good two must be better...:bang

Looking good I'm going to have to try this, What did you have in the accuator?? and how did you mount it up to the stock manifold??? Sorry if I missed it I'm on dial up at home

Looking good I'm going to have to try this, What did you have in the accuator?? and how did you mount it up to the stock manifold??? Sorry if I missed it I'm on dial up at home

$20 for an actuator off a stock 5.9 at my local truck salvage yard... Can also be found as cheap as $20 on ebay as well :D

As for mounting it up, I made an adapter... It's kinda crooked this time; last one I made (for my HX40) I had access to a mill to cut out the holes.
03-15-09_1740.jpg

and I stitch welded it to my manifold and used four 1/8" roll pins to help hold it in place.
03-15-09_1739.jpg

I like to fabricate things even though I really don't have much in the line of the proper tools. But, I make due with what I have and continue wishing I had more... Problem is if I had things like a vertical mill or a lathe I'd spend all my time making random parts for projects because there would be so much more I could do :hehe:

EDIT: Oh yeah, and an update.... Seems the oil that was in the exhaust housing when I bought the turbo wasn't a coincidence :doh: The shaft seal on the exhaust side is indeed leaking. My housing also managed to shift a little and made my vanes bind up so I was stuck full open :(

I'm gonna look for a rebuild kit as soon as I can, maybe Snedge can help there... But I also made another adjustment after realizing I scribed my optimal open mark wrong. I got to see 42psi of boost (up from 34) and 1500* (down from pegging the 1800* pyro) on an OD run before I blew the lower driver's side boot :rockwoot:

Last edited:
Looks prettier than what I made, lol.

More proof it doesn't have to look good to work like a charm.:clap:

Definitely sounds great!! Congrats on getting it to work so well!
I'm trying to cram a 12V into my old crew cab Int'l p.u. right now. As I did a 'test' fit yesterday with the cherry picker, we got talking about what I want to do for turbos. I thought I wanted twins; but after reading your progress on this, I might just want to buy a pair of these turbos and have one on each of my diesels! :rockwoot:

Definitely sounds great!! Congrats on getting it to work so well!
I'm trying to cram a 12V into my old crew cab Int'l p.u. right now. As I did a 'test' fit yesterday with the cherry picker, we got talking about what I want to do for turbos. I thought I wanted twins; but after reading your progress on this, I might just want to buy a pair of these turbos and have one on each of my diesels! :rockwoot:

The 400 series is a great turbo and I think I'll be able to get to 500 on fuel only while still keeping it cool and after I figure out how big the shaft is I might try out some :nos:. I figure a wheel that is factory balanced to 170,000 rpm should be able to handle enough to bump me to 600 should I feel like it :rockwoot:

I'm waiting to see how Chris is coming with his 500 series turbo :poke:

Back