Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

turboturbineminor.jpg

If you were to just put a spring on the arm that operates the housing, would the drive pressure be able to push it open? Given the right spring rate.

If you look closely at the picture above, you can see that there are holes in the ring with the vanes on it. That is the part that moves in the turbo and those holes vent any drive pressure that may try to open the housing. I would assume they did that to take that stress load off the electronics that controlled it. Especially when trying to close the housing for the exhaust brake mode.

So in short, no. Don't worry though, it is a good idea, other than the folks at holset kinda ruined it :Cheer:

Oh, I forgot to mention in my update that I learned something interesting recently... The arm on the turbo that runs the vanes can move up and down ever so slightly. It rests all the way down, but when it walks up it makes it harder for the arm to move. Which can make it stick open or not want to open when it needs to. So I plan to remedy this by adding a pressure screw (sort of) that rests over the dimple on the arm that seems to be centered over the shaft that won't allow the arm to come up .

im not sure if i understood this right.

but on my turbo he351ve, the ring with the vanes on it was sticking too, cleaning and oiling fixed it,

but my brother removed the ring/with vanes, and now we cant seem to assemple it back, (problem is to conect it on the inside of turbo, to the rod that moves it!

if anyone know exactly how to, id appreciate that!

That rod has an allen wrench threaded clamp. You might have to close or open the veins/ring a little to turn the clamp enough to access it with the allen wrench through the oil drain hole. It's hard to explain but pretty simple to see how it all works if you take off the compressor wheel and remove the backing plate and seal, thrust bearing, etc so you can see down in there.

Sorry if I missed it earlier; but where can I find a 'socket' that fits the locator pins for the housing and silencer ring? At first I thought they were small pins pressed in there. After looking closer, I can see they have two grooves cut in them. I have to wonder if they aren't threaded in and a special small socket is used to put them in or take them out. Any ideas?

(This is on the HE351 . . . . )

A good pair of pliers is all you need. The alignment pins are just lightly pressed in.

With any luck we'll fire up the HE551VE tonight :evil

Chris

I was just about to ask you how that was going... When you're done you realize we need both pictures and video right? I still need to take some pics of the set-up on my truck too...:bang

Oh and my wheels are turning on a few ways to make my EB work too :rockwoot:

I haven't been able to help with most of the project...but I'll get whatever I can.

If it runs decent, I'll be at Scheid Sunday racing. Assuming we can get it done:D

Chris

I haven't been able to help with most of the project...but I'll get whatever I can.

If it runs decent, I'll be at Scheid Sunday racing. Assuming we can get it done:D

Chris

If the friggin Dairy markets hadn't crashed so badly and I didn't have a wedding to plan... I would have been at Scheid's too :bang Maybe next year. Hopefully by then I have my billet input, cal-tracs, and maybe something hanging UNDER my 451 :evil

Chris

You running it as a single Chris?

Definately interested to hear how it works out.

Eric

If the friggin Dairy markets hadn't crashed so badly and I didn't have a wedding to plan... I would have been at Scheid's too :bang Maybe next year. Hopefully by then I have my billet input, cal-tracs, and maybe something hanging UNDER my 451 :evil

I'm thinking the 551 would make a good bottom charger if it's a little laggy as a single...assuming my control method works:D

You running it as a single Chris?

Definately interested to hear how it works out.

Eric

Yep, single...I know I can spool it, the question is when. Converter HATES big chargers!

Chris

I'm thinking the 551 would make a good bottom charger if it's a little laggy as a single...assuming my control method works:D

Yep, single...I know I can spool it, the question is when. Converter HATES big chargers!

Chris

How big are the wheels? I know the 74mm turbine wheel on mine seems to be pretty responsive...

Some pics to tide you guys over for now...cell phone pics early in the build

HE551 VGT.jpg

HE551 VGT 1.jpg

That thing really is a monster... Though the exhaust housing looks about the same size as mine. Maybe the only thing that will make it spool slower than my 451 will be the rotating mass of the bigger shaft and wheels :Cheer:

It would be awesome if this thing has good street manners and actually flows the advertised 95lbs/min of air :evil

Intake wheel:
Roughly 71mm inducer, 107mm exducer

Exhaust Wheel:
86mm inducer, 80mm exducer
housing from 9-31cm from everything I've seen.

Housings are huge...fitting the thing has kinda been a PITA from what I've seen, but it turned out pretty good.

Chris

Intake wheel:
Roughly 71mm inducer, 107mm exducer

Exhaust Wheel:
86mm inducer, 80mm exducer
housing from 9-31cm from everything I've seen.

Housings are huge...fitting the thing has kinda been a PITA from what I've seen, but it turned out pretty good.

Chris

Don't believe everything you hear about housing size... That's what I thought mine was supposed to be too. But it gets a LOT smaller than 9cm :doh:

Hmmm they must like .44 trim comp wheels; that's what mine is too :Cheer: Maybe something with their low drive pressure stuff that they (Holset) are developing :rockwoot:

Though .865 trim on the turbine wheel??? That's interesting....

I feel your pain about making it fit... Even my 451 had issues :bang

Back