Anybody else get a good look at the new comp wheels on the Holset turbos???

Don't believe everything you hear about housing size... That's what I thought mine was supposed to be too. But it gets a LOT smaller than 9cm :doh:

Hmmm they must like .44 trim comp wheels; that's what mine is too :Cheer: Maybe something with their low drive pressure stuff that they (Holset) are developing :rockwoot:

Though .865 trim on the turbine wheel??? That's interesting....

I feel your pain about making it fit... Even my 451 had issues :bang

We'll see how it responds...can't wait to give it a shot!

Chris

Welcome home, Mr. 6.0 Powerstroke owner! Don't blow it up before you take it racing this weekend- that's an order!

:evil :evil

This thing sounds wicked when it's closed all the way:D Need to wire/plumb up my controller, make an air filter setup, and figure out a heat shield for the downpipe. It's a bit warm back there!

Chris

:evil :evil

This thing sounds wicked when it's closed all the way:D Need to wire/plumb up my controller, make an air filter setup, and figure out a heat shield for the downpipe. It's a bit warm back there!
Chris

Yeah, I'm sure it is.... I know mine will definitely warm it up in the cab if the truck is sitting still. I really need to wrap mine and find a turbo blanket. Might help if I stitch the firewall back up too since the hole is right in front of where the cabin air comes from :bang

You gonna let us in on this secret controller???

You already have a picture of the important part;)

No holes in the firewall here...if I had to do that to make it fit it wouldn't have been on there. It's VERY close to an A/C line, and close enough to a vac line that I want more insulation!

Chris

You already have a picture of the important part;)

No holes in the firewall here...if I had to do that to make it fit it wouldn't have been on there. It's VERY close to an A/C line, and close enough to a vac line that I want more insulation!

Chris

Yeah I already melted that vac line and almost fried my harness for the PCM (which I finally have a working one again :woohoo:)

Sometimes I get a little jumpy with the sawsall :hehe: I really didn't need the hole at all, just some trimming of the lip up top where the weather striping goes :doh:

EDIT: Wait a tick... Was that a linear actuator I spied in the phone pic???

Runs good once it spools around 3K rpm...not sure if my control method is up to snuff...

Air cylinder with 40psi holding the housing closed, and boost pressure to force it open. Seems to close fine, but then I don't think it closes again ofter it's open. If the RPM drops below 3K, the boost drops to almost nothing, then at 3K she comes back alive HARD!

I may or may not have had the truck near 140mph:D

BUT, engine is losing oil pressure at idle, and doesn't want to start when warm. I may have hurt more than I thought after the last turbo explosion. We'll see what I find next week:( :(

Chris

Runs good once it spools around 3K rpm...not sure if my control method is up to snuff...

Air cylinder with 40psi holding the housing closed, and boost pressure to force it open. Seems to close fine, but then I don't think it closes again ofter it's open. If the RPM drops below 3K, the boost drops to almost nothing, then at 3K she comes back alive HARD!

I may or may not have had the truck near 140mph:D

BUT, engine is losing oil pressure at idle, and doesn't want to start when warm. I may have hurt more than I thought after the last turbo explosion. We'll see what I find next week:( :(

Chris

Well that sucks that it isn't quite working out. Maybe with a little tinkering it will work better for you. Also sad to hear that there may have been major carnage in the engine itself :doh:

BTW you have an aftermarket cam and some exhaust port work done already don't you? Maybe you need to figure out how to get the collar to close the housing down tighter? Are there pads or anything that would make the collar stop moving? Or is it limited by the rack? :poke: Just throwing out ideas :Cheer:

Well that sucks that it isn't quite working out. Maybe with a little tinkering it will work better for you. Also sad to hear that there may have been major carnage in the engine itself :doh:

BTW you have an aftermarket cam and some exhaust port work done already don't you? Maybe you need to figure out how to get the collar to close the housing down tighter? Are there pads or anything that would make the collar stop moving? Or is it limited by the rack? :poke: Just throwing out ideas :Cheer:

Helix 2 and a lot of exhaust porting...by the exhaust sounds, it's closing enough that it will "load" the engine at idle.

I might try to lock the housing in the lower range of it's travel an see what happens...limit my cylinder movement or something.

Chris

Helix 2 and a lot of exhaust porting...by the exhaust sounds, it's closing enough that it will "load" the engine at idle.

I might try to lock the housing in the lower range of it's travel an see what happens...limit my cylinder movement or something.

Chris

That would probably help, I even have a backstop on my 451... Otherwise without it I could only push 30-32 pounds of boost and it was pretty hot (1800*+). Now it runs 40-45 (weather seems to effect it a lot) and stays under 1500* anyway.

This is only building 32-34psi, but was at least making the smoke gray instead of coal black. The twins couldn't even do that.

Might try limiting the travel tonight...or go ride around on the bike...haven't made up my mind:D

Chris

This is only building 32-34psi, but was at least making the smoke gray instead of coal black. The twins couldn't even do that.

Might try limiting the travel tonight...or go ride around on the bike...haven't made up my mind:D

Chris

LOL Well, at least it looks promising even with low boost numbers and spool issues... You go make a simple bracket with a stop screw, I'll go look for boost leaks :bang <- held 30-35 pounds of boost at 115-120 today for about 10 miles and she suddenly dropped to about 20psi without any pops. Only noise that I notice is a hissing noise :doh:

Not really...but I have an engine for parts, or a truck for parts...but it still won't be cheap if she goes.

It's just a goal of mine...roast at least 1 engine in my lifetime!
Chris

:hehe: Yeah, with the way these things are built I could see that as being an achievement...

I wish I would have had the money two years ago. I watched THREE marine short blocks on ebay go without bids, the guy only started them at $500 :bang

hey guys you talked me into trying one on my 93, any info help or anything will be greatly apreciated. what all needs to be done just to mount it? does it just bolt right on? blacksky can you give me a pic of your actuator and how you have it setup to open the vanes i wanna get as much info as i can before i start, i havent bought it yet but i found a 351 vgt on ebay so i plan on buying it.

Back