Redemption_5.9 Build

We picked up the new o ringed head from the boys at KDD. They were awesome to deal with and the product was affordable and great quality of worksmanship. We also went ahead and got upgraded valves from them while we were at it.

9193a4b8077c97cc9f8b22c538ffdbba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before installing the head, we went ahead and replaced valve seals, installed the new valves, lapped them in, installed the manton valve springs, and installed thread in freeze plugs.

8d4e942522c034eba049772ff17d1579.jpg

38c8a37291aa2580a44c15be34dba6ae.jpg

f6e1487e572f2a93be2309a58e853a20.jpg

f09257c26c264dd73affe01a012aebfc.jpg

While the head was off, we installed the new 12mm s&s cp3 (sprayed on a quick coat of clear to prevent rust), painted the head black to match everything else, and replaced one of the dowels that had been damaged.

We got the head set on, installed the 625s, torqued to 100ftlbs currently (didn’t have a big enough torque wrench with us to go to max torque), got the injectors/feed tubes in and torqued, and started reinstalling accessories.

Hopefully next time we mess with it, we can finish up the head torque, throw in the rest of the valve train/accessories, and hear this thing fire up for the first time in way too long.

dbcc11e2690b5986fcc3eb238a4c862f.jpg

Oh, so much to catch up on.

So since the last time here we gutted the doors, installed lexan, gutted the hood supports, removed all of the ac components, and installed two race seats. That dropped a good bit of weight. We have a few more things on the list, including gutting the bed, before Rudy’s. We also cut out the lower “fender support” or crash bar, or whatever you want to call it. Not only did that shed a few lbs, but also opened up a ton of space if you pop off the fenders.

1cd16ec4b024e12539c5687d68e1afd8.jpg

We also BootyFabbed a stainless hoodrat stack for the truck, which didn’t turn out too bad for some quick eye balling. Lol

9f109b47000a444f6c9839002b400f6c.jpg

As I said, the truck got 250% s&s, 12mm pump, kdd head, Manton valve train, and 625s with a 72/87. We will see how it does at Rudy’s, trying to get a solid 6.70 tune in it. Then at DTW we are going to turn it up. Below is a link to the first start up/drive in the truck. This is with no tuning revisions or data logging, so don’t mind the smoke output or rough idle, we will get that dialed in. Also, there is a whole playlist dedicated to this truck if you have any questions on it.

First Drive in the 1000hp Cummins Build!! - YouTube
d91c8c59529617257e0a0a1aad943cca.jpeg

And last but not least, here is a before pic, followed by some more recent pics the wife snagged while we were wrapping it up the other day. To say it’s come a long ways is an understatement.

Before:
98b33b85c59c70fe8339d5f8f8ae65da.jpg

After:
2562608912dff107cfcd57938dba9458.jpg

f5905021fc098338006d147c2af58542.jpg

0ae1389425a7ce503ef87efc17644646.jpg

a1e4b85b4db795b78a0cb85019f67bc7.jpg

06371311c0561da97c7a5ea469534c1b.jpg

We are going to try to do some logging/dragy testing over the next week or so, so I’ll update with how it does.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. We switched over to an electric fan setup. The fan we used is off of a 2006 Nissan Maxima. They fit with very minor trimming, and seem to be doing a great job at cooling.

The big plus…. You can get them on eBay/Amazon for around $60. Lol

So a little late, but we finally got some track time with the truck. Lockup switch wasn’t working and it went 1.54 60’ 7.1 et at 96 I believe. Second pass spun and went 7.2. After the second pass the water pump went out, so we had to call it quits for the night. Video of the test session below.

First Track Day on the Fresh Cummins Build!!! - YouTube

After that night, we replaced the water pump and decided to do some dragy runs. Of course, the dragy was dead, but we did some test hits anyways. The truck felt really good, but after we got back we found oil in the hood stack. We swapped the charger with a spare 72 we had laying around. The only difference is that this one has a race cover. We took it out and tested one more time. The truck was a tad slower to spool, but we got it. After that we got loaded up for Rudy’s. I’ll have an update on how Rudy’s went soon, but here is the video on the work mentioned above.

Rudy’s Truck Jam Prep! - YouTube

So we have no super exciting news after Rudy’s. When we got there, we realized the truck had no lockup (it did before we left)… we tried to trouble shoot but came up with nothing. At least nothing we could fix at the track.

We ran tnt with the truck anyways and it would not spool the turbo. We came back from the pass and saw oil dumping past the seals. The guys from KC had a rebuild kit so we swapped it out and it seemed to light much better.

Saturday we took it into q1 and it blew the tires off, but still ran out to a 7.7 turned down with no lockup.

We turned the tune up to the next level, aired down a little and regrouped. In q2 the truck spun a little on the launch but did decent, and ran out to a 6.9, with no lockup yet again.

We really wanted to back up that 6 second pass, but when we went into E1 the truck wouldn’t spool for some reason. It’s really trying to be a pain in the @$$. Anyways, we are going to check everything over, regroup, and try to fix our lockup issue before truck wars in a few weeks.

Rudy’s recap video is below!

Rudy’s Truck Jam Event Recap! - YouTube

b8117b7927d02ec49a0168b0d0231731.jpeg

Finally some progress!

Lockup issue resolved:
The quick tap we had used for the lockup switch hadn’t cut into the harness. Fixed that and lockup is good to go.

Spool up issue:
So, the issue was a mix of driver mod and some very aggressive fueling in the tuning. With a little practice he was able to figure out how to “big toe” it up onto boost.

Traction issue:
We just couldn’t get it to 60’ consistently with the 20” wheels and nitto 555s. So we made the switch to 28x10.5 Hoosiers on the 17” welds.

I don’t have the time slips on me to give exact details, but with doing a moderate launch, on a light tune, 2nd gear lockup… the truck went 6.68. The following two passes were 6.74s… so it’s very consistent.

I REALLY want to turn this thing up, harder launch, and first gear lockup, and see just how fast it will go. My guess is very deep in the 6s as it sits.

Some videos will be posted in a link on here tomorrow.

154571162a21954898c78965ed7256c1.jpg

Finally some progress!

Lockup issue resolved:
The quick tap we had used for the lockup switch hadn’t cut into the harness. Fixed that and lockup is good to go.

Spool up issue:
So, the issue was a mix of driver mod and some very aggressive fueling in the tuning. With a little practice he was able to figure out how to “big toe” it up onto boost.

Traction issue:
We just couldn’t get it to 60’ consistently with the 20” wheels and nitto 555s. So we made the switch to 28x10.5 Hoosiers on the 17” welds.

I don’t have the time slips on me to give exact details, but with doing a moderate launch, on a light tune, 2nd gear lockup… the truck went 6.68. The following two passes were 6.74s… so it’s very consistent.

I REALLY want to turn this thing up, harder launch, and first gear lockup, and see just how fast it will go. My guess is very deep in the 6s as it sits.

Some videos will be posted in a link on here tomorrow.

154571162a21954898c78965ed7256c1.jpg

Things break with first gear lockup and tires will spin.$.02

We decided to go ahead and jump on a deal for the off season plans… we snagged a new Forced Inductions 76/96 for it. We will get a new manifold and what not for it over the next month or so and see how far this will take us.

11bbef89bcc26ee783105578760f9b8a.jpg

Well we were able to get one more track day in this year, so we decided to embrace it. We turned up the tune, aired down the tires, and decided to launch it on a man launch and see what it could do.

We ended up with a best of 6.53 but that was only 103mph. Also, we got the 60’ down to 1.43. For some reason, it seems like the truck is just simply not fueling after the launch.

I noticed that the edge insight wouldn’t read boost, we did an update and it still reads zero. We also threw in a known good map sensor, so I said screw it. We will put a manual gauge in it. Now, I’m wondering if we have a wiring issue where the computer isn’t recognizing boost, so the fuel map is constantly fueling based off of “0psi boost”…

For reference, from tune 1 on 20” wheels to tune 3 with radials, we only picked up 1mph.

Idk if any of that makes sense.. but we are going to figure out why boost is stuck at zero, and go from there.

Video link from the passes is below

Final Passes of the Year! - YouTube

e69b75b06a02d1031f4fca40fe2fe200.jpeg

Back