6.4 cummins build

04.5ROHLING

I have a 6.7 block that has been decked 70 thousands and has been cut for Hasiley machine cometic fire ring head gasket. I have a stock 6.7 head that has been cut for the fire ring head gasket also with Hamilton springs so this is my starting point of this build and this is a list of what I have to put in it what do y'all think
12v balanced crank
Carillo pro H rods h11 bolts
12mm main studs-arp 625
Arp head studs -625
Hamilton pushrods
Hamilton 188/220 cam or colt stage 3 181/210
Billet body 6.7 flux 4 injectors
Stock 6.7 coated pistions ( haven't ordered yet )
Is this a good setup or would y'all change some stuff I have all of this already but pistions I will be running this motor in my 04.5 DD/street truck tuned with UDC I have a 66/71-.80 over 480 twins for air and daul cp3s for fuel thanks for ur advise

This is a little different than how we do our 6.4s, but it should work ok. The biggest factor will be the piston and injector choice. The injector spray pattern and piston bowl design and floor height in relation to the nozzle is where we have found the power with this setup.

Your gonna need way bigger chargers. The s300/400 setups are for 5.9s, lol. You can spool am s400/500 setup faster than a 5.9 can spool the set you have.

We dont use orings or fire rings at all on CR engines, but if you already had them cut, might as well use them.

Why not use a longer rod and keep as much strength as you can on the deck? I guess its too late now, but is there a better reason for doing it that way?

I bought the (engine ) block and head like this so I am workin with what I got this setup had been ran before being tore apart but they used 12v rods with bigg twins and they bent them after a couple passes from what I was told

Don't you need to make up the shorter stroke with a custom rod or pin height?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:
Your gonna need way bigger chargers. The s300/400 setups are for 5.9s, lol. You can spool am s400/500 setup faster than a 5.9 can spool the set you have.

We dont use orings or fire rings at all on CR engines, but if you already had them cut, might as well use them.

That right there is why I want a 6.7 block in the truck. I need to stop thinking about it before I do something stupid!

I keep reading different things on building a 6.4..

Should/can i use my 03 injectors with 03 pistons over the 08' stuff in the 6.7?

5.9 or 6.7 rods with 5.9 crank?

Any year better than another on the 5.9 crank?

Basically i have a bunch of new ish parts in my 03' 5.9 and want to use as much as possible.

OP, thanks for starting this thread!

Sent from my fphone

12v rods for sure if u are not wanting 1000+ or big twins and u can use ur head if u want to use ur injectors because 5.9 and 6.7 injectors have different body's so u can't use a 5.9 injector in a 6.7 head

Actually you can use a 5.9 injector in a 6.7 head, just not the other way around.

As far as rods, Ive seen both fail and Ive seen both live over 1000 hp. The main difference is the 12/24v rod usually bends where the CR rod breaks. 5.9 and 6.7 both use the same rod.

All 5.9 cranks are equal from what Ive seen, other than gear of course.

You can't use your 03 pistons as you will be using a 6.7 block, so you will need 6.7 pistons. Some people use the 03-04 nozzle with the stock 6.7 piston, others use a 6.7 nozzle. We dont do either. We use a motorsport 5.9 nozzle and our own piston bowl design. This is where the difference comes in. This setup will make way more, cleaner, cooler hp than the 03-04 or the 6.7 nozzle/bowl.

6.7 nozzle is 146? Motorsport is 143... That much difference? You can run 6.7 injectors in a 5.9 head, with machine work on hold down. I wouldn't run stock pistons if your that far in maybe a custom Ross, the 6.7 pistons are weak, also look into a 14mm girdle

Actually you can use a 5.9 injector in a 6.7 head, just not the other way around.

As far as rods, Ive seen both fail and Ive seen both live over 1000 hp. The main difference is the 12/24v rod usually bends where the CR rod breaks. 5.9 and 6.7 both use the same rod.

All 5.9 cranks are equal from what Ive seen, other than gear of course.

You can't use your 03 pistons as you will be using a 6.7 block, so you will need 6.7 pistons. Some people use the 03-04 nozzle with the stock 6.7 piston, others use a 6.7 nozzle. We dont do either. We use a motorsport 5.9 nozzle and our own piston bowl design. This is where the difference comes in. This setup will make way more, cleaner, cooler hp than the 03-04 or the 6.7 nozzle/bowl.

I would for sure use billet rods this go around.
Ashley, is the piston bowl secret squirrel stuff or can you elaborate a little..? I understand if you keep it to yourself.
Thanks again!

Sent from my fphone

Back