6.4 cummins build

Is it best to use a 6.7 head or does a 5.9 work ok. What all does a 6.4 entail? 6.7 block and pistons, 5.9 crank and rods? Does the deck have to be deck the .070"? I think a 6.4 would be a neat build for my next engine, but just building another 5.9 may be more cost effective?

Well I ended up carrying my short block and parts to Ashley and had him put the secret touches on it and assemble the bottom end so it is fully balanced and has the right bearing clearance,compression ratio for the daily driven truck it's goin in so I will be ordering the injectors and finishing the motor in the next few weeks maybe I will have it running by Christmas

I don't understand ur question ?

A Siamese deck having a larger bore and steam holes has less material than a non Siamese deck, so why remove 2mm from the weakest area of the block? Of course you could argue that the deck is in most instances is thick enough to prevent failure after this modification, but the best option would certainly be to use a longer connecting rod.

LOL....i got video of yours scattering apart that says otherwise!!

I got proof of that statement being untrue. It did crack the block. But nothing scattered anywhere. Ive got the block sitting in the shop now. Its 100% in tact. Just has a crack. We are reusing all 6 rods, crankshaft, camshaft, valvetrain, etc. The problem started with the fueling. It melted all 6 pistons and cracked the block. This block is three years old and has been through a lot of stuff. It cracked from the extreme heat and pressure. Not from the power. If I can get three years out of another one at this level, Ill be very happy with that.

I guess I should stop trying to convince everyone these blocks are strong. If everyone is scared of them, that leaves more for us. Lol. I honestly dont see how anyone could look at one side by side with a 2nd gen block and even think they close in strength. The 12/24v blocks not nearly as beefy.

I got proof of that statement being untrue. It did crack the block. But nothing scattered anywhere. Ive got the block sitting in the shop now. Its 100% in tact. Just has a crack. We are reusing all 6 rods, crankshaft, camshaft, valvetrain, etc. The problem started with the fueling. It melted all 6 pistons and cracked the block. This block is three years old and has been through a lot of stuff. It cracked from the extreme heat and pressure. Not from the power. If I can get three years out of another one at this level, Ill be very happy with that.

I guess I should stop trying to convince everyone these blocks are strong. If everyone is scared of them, that leaves more for us. Lol. I honestly dont see how anyone could look at one side by side with a 2nd gen block and even think they close in strength. The 12/24v blocks not nearly as beefy.

Yes it is just a crack that could have cost you or a customer there life! Not to mention helped save hours of clean up time, but you've been through that before too.

You dont build engines to just make power....but to be MORE reliable as well.
You would be smarter to just get the correct rod length or piston CH rather than weakening the deck by decking it. But like most others from the sound of it you will learn the hard way.

Last edited:
I dont use other peoples money to build my engines, so ingenuity comes into play a little more that expensive parts. It worked the last three years, lets see if it works the next three. You do it your way and Ill do it mine.

Back