6.4 cummins build

I got a 6.7 block and head in the shop not sure if the head is salvageable but I want to start piecing a motor together.

i would say 1000 or so, the top ring is way to close to the top of th episton, we have problems with that ring swelling and or breaking. i had 7 passes on cut and coated and the top ring was already starting to go.. I was also walking my mains with just a 12mm girdle.. im guessing the truck was around 1200hp

I would for sure use billet rods this go around.
Ashley, is the piston bowl secret squirrel stuff or can you elaborate a little..? I understand if you keep it to yourself.
Thanks again!

Sent from my fphone

I imagine something wide and shallow.

We have never lost a stock 6.7 piston or had any ring problems at all. never had any problems with the mains either. We still use 12mm mains. We actually still used the stock bolts and girdle until this spring. The only reason we changed was because we were sponsored a 12mm girdle kit. Lol. We dont coat pistons anymore either. havent seen any problems with it, but we just dont see a need for it so far. Ive ran coated and non coated and havent had any failures either way.

I would for sure use billet rods this go around.
Ashley, is the piston bowl secret squirrel stuff or can you elaborate a little..? I understand if you keep it to yourself.
Thanks again!

Sent from my fphone

The piston bowl is something Id like to keep under the hat. Im sure at some point, someone will disassemble one and copy. But I dont wanna just give it away. lol. As far as the marine piston though, its nothing special.

i would say 1000 or so, the top ring is way to close to the top of th episton, we have problems with that ring swelling and or breaking. i had 7 passes on cut and coated and the top ring was already starting to go.. I was also walking my mains with just a 12mm girdle.. im guessing the truck was around 1200hp

We have never lost a stock 6.7 piston or had any ring problems at all. never had any problems with the mains either. We still use 12mm mains. We actually still used the stock bolts and girdle until this spring. The only reason we changed was because we were sponsored a 12mm girdle kit. Lol. We dont coat pistons anymore either. havent seen any problems with it, but we just dont see a need for it so far. Ive ran coated and non coated and havent had any failures either way.

Just to be clear here...

You guys are calling the block stiffener a girdle or are you reffering to a true main girdle (thick plate with machined main caps)? Guessing you may be talking about something different.

make sure you give him your real name before he ships LOL I got funny looks when i asked for a package under the name lostnwalmart

Just to be clear here...

You guys are calling the block stiffener a girdle or are you reffering to a true main girdle (thick plate with machined main caps)? Guessing you may be talking about something different.

We just use a stiffener like the stock one, but it incorporates the main studs for a little added strength. But like I said, we arent using it because we found a reason to. We are using it because it was sponsored to us. I honestly didnt wanna add it until we found the point of failure with the stock bolts and stiffener.

Back