2 blown Cummins 450 ISX motors in 2 weeks...

Settle down compadre. I work for a large used concrete truck supplier and glider company so put away the dik measuring stick for a second. I was not questioning your intelligence on the matter just making it a simple statement that things can and are modernized on a glider typically to keep the feds happy in reply to yours where you mentioned outdated technology being a big issue.

Im not dik measuring by any means. I was coming back to take it down a notch but you caught me.
It would have sufficed to say that i don't agree with reasoning but i do think it will be the logic used.

The two of you have my apology.

Monkey Fist Rage

The fitzgerald unit i am working on currently
atuvazu4.jpg

Monkey Fist Rage

Im not dik measuring by any means. I was coming back to take it down a notch but you caught me.
It would have sufficed to say that i don't agree with reasoning but i do think it will be the logic used.

The two of you have my apology.

Monkey Fist Rage

Hey my apologies as well man. My initial statement came out wrong and I can see could have easily been taken the wrong way.

I agree that the government will have their grimey hands in getting gliders under greater scrutiny but I know that glider manufacturers have seen that road coming for a while now.

In my opinion your rings are done.

There should be a procedure to check the blowby gas flow and determine if its excessive.

Monkey Fist Rage

Ok was hoping it wasn't rings but I guess it's time.
I unhooked the turbo charge and exhaust pipes and the oil drain ran into a container. Then unhooked the compressor so it wouldn't build pressure. When I start the truck there is some air that comes out the blow by and when I put my hand over it it starts to build some pressure.

I really can't see Gliders lasting much longer before the big fist of the good old government comes down on them either. That being said my dad has a 2013 Pete with an ISX15 that he loves so far hasn't had any issues and has 100k on it so far.

I really can't see Gliders lasting much longer before the big fist of the good old government comes down on them either. That being said my dad has a 2013 Pete with an ISX15 that he loves so far hasn't had any issues and has 100k on it so far.

The only thing I can see companies doing if they make gliders near impossible to build is the same companies offering a "refurb". Since you have to use a donor truck and its title to build a glider I could see glider companies rebuilding a truck without renewing the title essentially. There is no such law that says you cannot rebuild the engine in a truck, or the axles, or the transmission, etc...

The frame would have to remain in tact I would guess which may pose an issue since those are vin sensitive.

Chances are anything less than tier 4a compliant will be illegal someday anyhow so yeah gliders will probably die :(

There are no issues with replacing frame rails, plenty of that has been done, so essentially you could completely rebuild one from the ground up.

If the new non glider trucks were reliable then gliders wouldn't be so hot right now.

There are no issues with replacing frame rails, plenty of that has been done, so essentially you could completely rebuild one from the ground up.

If the new non glider trucks were reliable then gliders wouldn't be so hot right now.

I agree frame rails can be replaced. Advance concrete trucks are quite prone to it with a stinger on the back. Just figured you would be building a glider at that point if you replaced or rebuilt EVERYTHING that they would get you on a technicality.

Now the only issue I could see is the amount of actual miles on the refurb truck would be relatively unknown.

FYI I am just playing the devils advocate. I am in the Glider and used truck business so this type of thing I enjoy debating about.

I agree frame rails can be replaced. Advance concrete trucks are quite prone to it with a stinger on the back. Just figured you would be building a glider at that point if you replaced or rebuilt EVERYTHING that they would get you on a technicality.

Now the only issue I could see is the amount of actual miles on the refurb truck would be relatively unknown.

FYI I am just playing the devils advocate. I am in the Glider and used truck business so this type of thing I enjoy debating about.

And that was my intention also.
Speaking of relatively unknow, we just overhauled a C16 and reset the mileage, which was north of 3 million miles.

Monkey Fist Rage

I've been hearing "gliders are about gone" for years now. I figured they would be gone the minute KW removed their heads from their rectums and started building them again. However they're still going strong...noting but more internet rumor. Until the day comes when you can no longer order one this is just more internet BS. Local dealer has been blowing smoke up everyone's butts for years about how they have these new motors figured out. Heard it about the 2011 models, 2013's and now the 2014's are flawless according to these snake oil salesmen........:hehe:

Just talked to a guy yesterday with a 6 axle T800 dumptruck. Dealer assured him the 2011 Paccar MX "has all the bugs worked out". Funny how he has owned it for almost a month but hasn't been able to work it for a full week without being at the dealer. I believe the MX may be coming out soon and replaced with something more reliable. Snap-On tool truck with 6.7 Cummins needed a DPF thanks to multiple failed regens. Owner was floored with his $9000 bill for DPF and new turbo.

Sounds to me like someone ain't doin their job or don't know what they are doing. Cleaning the Dpf does not keep It from being plugged up again there are upstream failures possibly oil or coolant contamination or turbo / egr valve high or low pressure fuel system or hydrocarbon injector. Or possibly a stuck in range Dpf differential pressure sensor or exhaust pressure sensor.

We need you down at UPS where I work. Too many 6.7 Cummins with constant DPF regens and nobody can figure out whats causing the issue.

We need you down at UPS where I work. Too many 6.7 Cummins with constant DPF regens and nobody can figure out whats causing the issue.

Likely the duty cycle is what's got them all screwed up. Think how the delivery guys drive. Start and stop start and stop never running long enough to regen effectively resulting in plugged aftertreatment and plugged intake. I've seen a few 6.7 with such horrible duty cycles plug the grid heater dang near plum solid with soot.

Likely the duty cycle is what's got them all screwed up. Think how the delivery guys drive. Start and stop start and stop never running long enough to regen effectively resulting in plugged aftertreatment and plugged intake. I've seen a few 6.7 with such horrible duty cycles plug the grid heater dang near plum solid with soot.

They all need a force switch and a policy to regen them at the end of each shift. Life is much easier this way.

Monkey Fist Rage

That's this Snap-On guys problem, 6000hrs of idle time. DPF face plugged and blew the seals out of the charger.

Back