2 blown Cummins 450 ISX motors in 2 weeks...

All work done in house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, yes. Only work done outside is cooking the DPFs thenselves.

Likely the duty cycle is what's got them all screwed up. Think how the delivery guys drive. Start and stop start and stop never running long enough to regen effectively resulting in plugged aftertreatment and plugged intake. I've seen a few 6.7 with such horrible duty cycles plug the grid heater dang near plum solid with soot.

Thats been my theory from the start. Sad we cant delete all that BS. BTW, Im one of those drivers. I finally got tired of constant regen, smell and who-knows-what-the-hell-i'm-breathing, power drop and trans shift schedule changes and asked to be swapped into a gasser. Life is much better now. :)

They all need a force switch and a policy to regen them at the end of each shift. Life is much easier this way.

Monkey Fist Rage
The trucks do, BUT the vehicle has to be stopped with parking brake on. If it was setup to force regen while driving down the freeway, then that would be perfect....

Thanks guys. Sorry for the derail.

Last edited:
Sadly, yes. Only work done outside is cooking the DPFs thenselves.

Thats been my theory from the start. Sad we cant delete all that BS. BTW, Im one of those drivers. I finally got tired of constant regen, smell and who-knows-what-the-hell-i'm-breathing, power drop and trans shift schedule changes and asked to be swapped into a gasser. Life is much better now. :)

The trucks do, BUT the vehicle has to be stopped with parking brake on. If it was setup to force regen while driving down the freeway, then that would be perfect....

Thanks guys. Sorry for the derail.

Nothing against you, but that isn't an excuse. It needs to be part of the post trip. It will save $$$$$

Monkey Fist Rage

I am by no means a Sterling fan nor am I a Mercedes diesel fan but that is one thing they did right on the new trucks we sold last year. There was a force switch for regen.

I am by no means a Sterling fan nor am I a Mercedes diesel fan but that is one thing they did right on the new trucks we sold last year. There was a force switch for regen.

All oems have the option to have one installed and if I remember correct it has to be ordered with the truck or is a dealer installed option. You can change the settings in any cummins ECM to allow a regen switch. But the ones I've messed with only time they will work is when the regen light comes on. I'm spoiled and use insite for everything.

All oems have the option to have one installed and if I remember correct it has to be ordered with the truck or is a dealer installed option. You can change the settings in any cummins ECM to allow a regen switch. But the ones I've messed with only time they will work is when the regen light comes on. I'm spoiled and use insite for everything.

Same with cat and mercedes that i have access to. That's what motivates my logic of run it all day, soot load and do the regen as a post trip operation. You don't have to wait for the truck to heat up like you would in the morning.

Monkey Fist Rage

Without insite, the manual regen switch will never initiate a parked regen without the ECM calling for it. There has to be a soot load for a non diagnostic tool regen, whether active or parked.

Last edited:
Without insite, the manual regen switch will never initiate a parked regen without the ECM calling for it. There has to be a soot load for a non diagnostic tool regen, whether active or parked.

The hell you say :D

Monkey Fist Rage

Off topic a hair but what do you guys use for your data link cable to dik with ecms? I think we are going to go with a nexiq since we deal with anything and everything at my work now. Used to just be cummins but now we need the others and it appears the nexiq allows you to communicate with anything so long as you have the software of course.

Off topic a hair but what do you guys use for your data link cable to dik with ecms? I think we are going to go with a nexiq since we deal with anything and everything at my work now. Used to just be cummins but now we need the others and it appears the nexiq allows you to communicate with anything so long as you have the software of course.

I use insite with the 9 pin on the dash or the 3 pin on the engine harness with a cummins inline adaptor. Or on old school stuff the 6 pin on the dash or the 2 pin on the harness. Sometimes have to hook directly to the ECM with bench harness.

Nexiq all the way.

The fitzgerald unit i am working on currently
atuvazu4.jpg

Monkey Fist Rage

What's wrong with it?

Nothing against you, but that isn't an excuse. It needs to be part of the post trip. It will save $$$$$

Monkey Fist Rage

No insult taken. Forced regen takes 20 minutes, IIRC. UPS would NEVER pay drivers to sit like that, or pay the fuel cost. UPS is going back to gassers simply b/c of the hassle and the overall higher costs of running modern diesels. They just dont "fit" with the type of work we do. Sucks, too. That 6.7 was a nice engine and worked with the Allison really well. Would have been darn near perfect drivetrain if we could delete all the emissions BS.

Last edited:
No insult taken. Forced regen takes 20 minutes, IIRC. UPS would NEVER pay drivers to sit like that, or pay the fuel cost. UPS is going back to gassers simply b/c of the hassle and the overall higher costs of running modern diesels. They just dont "fit" with the type of work we do. Sucks, too. That 6.7 was a nice engine and worked with the Allison really well. Would have been darn near perfect drivetrain if we could delete all the emissions BS.

They've ruined quite a few companies. I understand completely.

Monkey Fist Rage

Back