how hard is it to p pump an isl

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
ok so we are putting an o2 isl in place of a b in my buddies chevy service truck.. so we think that pump is bad.. anyway long story short it has way to many electronics and we want to p pump it.. how hard is this.. we are being told the isl is the same block as a 8.3 so just get the front motor plate.. anyway some of you guys have to know what it will take.. oh and also are the isl injectors the same as a b 24 valve??? we are shooting for a reliable 550hp with this deal..

ISL is a newer version of the L10 not the 8.3L, you would need an ISC to get the 8.3L. Just find an older 8.3L and use it. It's physically smaller than an ISL also.

(ISL is a newer version of the L10 not the 8.3L)
actually the ism is the new version of the L10. The isl is closest to the isc but a little different longer stroke if I remember. it it should be a common rail motor and has factory ratings over the 400hp mark, so some aftermarket programing will get you to 550 easy or have the injectors opened up some as for wiring a few main power and grounds is all it takes to make it run if you done want to interface it with the rest of the truck
Also I hope this is like a top kick or Kodiak a 9L will crush a 3500

Last edited:
the ISC is the new version of the 8.3, not the ISL

well how come the block is the same as 6ct 8.3l ? how come no one knows about this motor?:nail:

Beginning in 1998, Cummins introduced the ISC based off the earlier mechanical 8.3 C-series engine. The original ISC engine featured a Cummins Accumulator Pump System (CAPS). This CAPS pump was a computer controlled injection pump, with individual fuel lines to each injector.

In 2003, Cummins released the updated ISC engine. Among other differences, the most significant was the change to the High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel system. The new fuel system eliminated the CAPS injection pump, relying on electronic controlled injectors to actuate fuel

i'll continue to prove that they are not the same if you'd like

The Cummins ISL engine is mostly known for being the powerhouse of the larger sized motorhomes. Although also used for firetrucks due to the high horsepower ratings, the ISL really shines when it powers the Cummins diesel motorhome.

The original ISL engine feautured a fuel pump similiar to the ISC. This pump is known as the Cummins Accumulator Pump System (CAPS). This CAPS pump was a computer controlled injection pump, with individual fuel lines to each injector.

In 2003, Cummins released the updated ISL engine. Among other differences, the most significant was the change to the High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel system. The new fuel system eliminated the CAPS injection pump, relying on electronic controlled injectors to actuate fuel

info on the ISL

I have a few C and L series engines setting side by side, dont know forsure but it looks like you could Ppump an ISL using older C series parts...would need custom injector lines forsure but the blocks and front covers sure look close if not the same. Now the engines Im looking at are CNG bastards, however I have found many of the hard parts to be the same as their diesel brothers.

I have a few C and L series engines setting side by side, dont know forsure but it looks like you could Ppump an ISL using older C series parts...would need custom injector lines forsure but the blocks and front covers sure look close if not the same. Now the engines Im looking at are CNG bastards, however I have found many of the hard parts to be the same as their diesel brothers.

/\ This guy would know.

Why don't we check quickserve with the two serial #s. All we need to know is if they require the same mounting gasket.
Gear housing to block.

/\ This guy would know.

Why don't we check quickserve with the two serial #s. All we need to know is if they require the same mounting gasket.
Gear housing to block.

I'll get you some numbers by the end of the day....see if we can help this guy build something cool:rockwoot:

C series & L series - Gear housing gaskets are the same, cylinder heads are the same, etc.

What happened to Buckbz? Let me guess, the N-14 and ISX are the same too right?

Here are two engine numbers if someone wants to check again

Older C series 46085360
Brand new ISL 73053578

As stated, the gear housings will interchange. So the next factor would be...will the ISL give enough room for a Ppump?? If the pump will bolt on without hitting the head...I dont see a problem with Ppumping an ISL, other than bending the injector lines yourself, which sucks ass.

thanks for helping us with this, his service truck already has a b series in it with a 13sp so we are going to add some front bags and are going to relocate the radiator to the bed.. we shooting for around 500-550hp so we are using a 215 pump. its going to be sweet having a real jake brake in this thing too.. anyone have any idea about the injectors in this. are they the same as 24valve injector? what might the popoff be in these stock and the size? anyway thanks again for the help

Back