how hard is it to p pump an isl

2011-01-28185309.jpg

the motor sitting

IMG952049.jpg

IMG956029.jpg

it fits.. looks like it was supposed to be there.. where can we get the injector lines?

Way to go guys! I'm glad to see someone using the ISL engine! Just a word of caution, you will want to put a bolt and retainer on that cam gear. The cam gears on the C-series seem to walk off even easier than on the B-series engines.
what you mean erik? we cant use 24valve nozzles?

If the ISL had Bosch injectors that should be possible. If I'm not mistaken the Common Rail ISC & ISL use a Cummins fuel system.

Let me guess, the N-14 and ISX are the same too right?

Let me guess, you have absolutely no clue!

Last edited:
ya that is the stock case, and even the stock gear fits the p-pump.. bolted right up.
thanks for the heads up on the cam gear.
i will see what we can figure out some injector numbers.. im sure we will try and use the stockers to start but i would like to know the pop off#'s and size of the stockers.

Let me guess, you have absolutely no clue!

You're right.

N-14, derived from the NHC, 2 cylinders per head, celect or celect plus ecm, 855 cubic inch.

ISX 15, dual over head cam design, one head for all six cylinders, known as the Signature 600 until VGT was added for emmisions, not common rail until 2010.

But yeah, what would I know.:blahblah1:

Last edited:
Nice. Way to get after it.

You may want to support that pump with another bracket. I sent you a PM with info on the lines

Last edited:
It is not uncommon to use a 8.3L nozzle from a CAPS system in a 5.9L with either a VP44 or P7100.

Listen....ISC is 8.3 L and ISL is 8.9L ...We got displacement with .276 '' increase in crank throw ,different rond ,angle cut ,and two pieces piston on the isl....for the rest it is the same ....liners ,head and so forth ...you can disdinguis a L crank by its 5 bolts holding the v. damper .The C has only 4 ....I got 975 hp out of an isl with hibryd CAPS pump & cummun rail .....lots of torque and barely indestructible like it's litle broter isb...And no ,the injectors are not the same ,they are longer .By the way we get 600 hp on marine application on thoses with 50 % duty cycle ....pretty strong !!!

By the way, be carefull with the injectors...i would check spray angle before putting isl injectors in isc engine....different piston(skweeze cast fibre reenforced(isc) & steel crown & aluminium skirt on the isl)...........just my point of view !

i would check spray angle before putting isl injectors in isc engine....

What?

Adam, you should be able to check the injectors with a standard holder(pot) that is used for 24v injectors, the body is just a bit longer above the fuel inlet. I know what sizes and angle the 8.3L stuff is, but if you got the nozzle numbers, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to decipher what you have. Typically for the CAPS stuff, they are also ~ 300BAR opening pressure.

You're right.

N-14, derived from the NHC, 2 cylinders per head, celect or celect plus ecm, 855 cubic inch.

ISX 15, dual over head cam design, one head for all six cylinders, known as the Signature 600 until VGT was added for emmisions, not common rail until 2010.

But yeah, what would I know.:blahblah1:

Oh yay...you can Google. Have fun with your new found Cummins knowledge!

Chris

thanks guys for the input. ya we plan on supporting the back of the pump with 8.3 stuff. the lines help thanks snedge that will work out easy.
weston thanks for the knowledge, if they are set at 300 bar that will work fine. I curious the size thow not that concerned, we have a 215 pump coming and should be plenty fine for the goal of only 550 to the ground.
Im thinking of using a 475/96 1:32 for the turbo. what you guys think, to much turbo? it has a hx40 for its stock 400hp rating so maybe just go with a k31(71/74/22cm2)

Why so big on the turbine? I wouldn't run that valve train over 3500RPM without changing it out for something better...

I would think a 64-66mm S300 with a .91A/R T4 would fit the bill...maybe a touch bigger on the exhaust housing, but I don't think you'll need near that much charger for that engine?

Chris

I would assume the nozzles are ~ 7x0.008" 150°, if you had the nozzle numbers I could check. They will have most likely settled to ~ 280BAR, which is where I would suggest, maybe just even them out. I would also not recommend a K31, seen too many failures with them on Detroits with the same hp, I would look into a T4 S400 with the 74/83mm turbine.

Chris i am just thinking the motor is so big it could use it easy, i know the turbo/turbine weston is suggesting is the one i have been looking for, just isnt that easy to find used. I too dont much care for the k31 so i agree im going to search more for the 474/83/1;10ar.
weston we are searching for the injector #'s off the cpl so thanks for the help. ill let you know asap
thanks adam

Chris i am just thinking the motor is so big it could use it easy, i know the turbo/turbine weston is suggesting is the one i have been looking for, just isnt that easy to find used. I too dont much care for the k31 so i agree im going to search more for the 474/83/1;10ar.
weston we are searching for the injector #'s off the cpl so thanks for the help. ill let you know asap
thanks adam

Put a 71/83/1.10a/r. S400 turbo on it. The 71mm comp wheel will spool quicker than the 75mm wheel and it will move more than enough air to support 550hp. If anything needs to be bigger for more air flow I would then suggest the 71mm comp wheel with the 96/1.32a/r turbine side.

My brother has a P-pumped C series in a T300KW single axle dump truck. The engine has marine injectors, pump timing set @ 15.5 degrees and a Holset HX52 charger which is 67/70/16cm. The truck weighs in at 13,900lb. empty and it will give most stock diesel pickups a run for the money.

Last edited:
Back