Common Rail pumps capable of 30k+ psi?

DieselheaD

I'm asking about the fuel pump on Micah's race truck, what the heck is it?

image_zps98e9qzgs.jpg

We had a hauhinco hydraulic pump as a test unit where i used to work. It would do 30k psi at 80gpm. But it was also 4cyl powered by a 250hp electric motor

thats all a fuel pump is. moving a fluid under pressure. Stands to reason that it would work to find the right sized pump to make the pressure needed.

thats all a fuel pump is. moving a fluid under pressure. Stands to reason that it would work to find the right sized pump to make the pressure needed.
I just think it would take a missive ammount of power to drive rhat thing to 30k psi

obviously it would draw power. But is it less total power draw than 5 cp3's at full burn?

and its also a ratio thing too. at idle it doesn't take a bunch of fuel or pressure at idle, and by the time you are needing full flow at 30k, you are well into the power to run it.

It's clearly a two barrel/plunger pump. That's all I can conclude. Way more simple than a multiple cp3 arrangement.

I didn't see this until now that is a heck of a set up! Really interesting I'm trying to think here what pump I've seen in hydraulics to hold 30k of pressure and at some point it will be like a water jet in a motor! Be cutting Pistons if the tip cracked!! This is a Scheid build though?

There are inline two piston common rail pumps ya know...

Let me try and find my notes from when I took and engines class for New Holland. We learned about the pump you are referencing. It is a fuel pump from another app.

edit: Found my notes. Bosch CP2 pump is what it appears to be. Used in big displacement diesels.

Last edited:
There are variations of the pump just like every other bosch pump. There are CPN2.2, CPN2.4, CPN2.2+, etc... I would put money on it being a CP2 bosch pump. It may have an extra feed passage tapped in the rear and some scheid stickers on it but it is a CP2 I would bet.

That is the funny thing about the diesel performance world. Take something common, rename it, put a sticker on it, and charge 10x what it is worth. Same thing happens with turbos, injectors, etc...

Inline 4 plunger version of the pump anybody??!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Sq7yPDPqc

If google wasn't flooded with chinese companies trying to sell a knockoff version of the pump in bulk we might be able to find some actual useful information on them. I will try to get my hands on the presentation I watched in class about them. It didn't have much but it was neat to see the different types of pumps that are out there.

Last edited:
There are variations of the pump just like every other bosch pump. There are CPN2.2, CPN2.4, CPN2.2+, etc... I would put money on it being a CP2 bosch pump. It may have an extra feed passage tapped in the rear and some scheid stickers on it but it is a CP2 I would bet.

That is the funny thing about the diesel performance world. Take something common, rename it, put a sticker on it, and charge 10x what it is worth. Same thing happens with turbos, injectors, etc...

Inline 4 plunger version of the pump anybody??!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Sq7yPDPqc

If google wasn't flooded with chinese companies trying to sell a knockoff version of the pump in bulk we might be able to find some actual useful information on them. I will try to get my hands on the presentation I watched in class about them. It didn't have much but it was neat to see the different types of pumps that are out there.

Good work man, I didn't think I was going to get any response on this thread. I appreciate all the help from everyone!

I'd like to try and set up a kit for my self, and I'm not gunna bother with calling scheid for an overpriced kit. Might save some time and headache but I'm not made of money..

Back