ED s62/68/13ssWRC writeup and pics!!

wdimig

first i want to thank Chris for a awsome turbo, and excellent customer service. he built me one heck of a turbo, i had some small isssues with installing it, but all were resolved, and i spoke with him about the issues, and should not be a problem in the future. i got the turbo last wenesday, and had some extra time to take some good photos, i got the turbo installed, and the new downpipe installed. i was not able to finish the ehxaust conenction to the stacks, but i did drive it around a little bit, and the first impressions were great, spoolup was vastly different from the old turbo(HTT66/65/14). i was able to get the clamps thursday to finish up the ehxuast connection to the stacks, and i could get a better driving impression. now i haven't been able to play around as much as i would like to because it has been raining here for the last 4 damn days, but i did drive the truck to work to help get the turbo broke in a bit, and have some better drving impressions. spoolup off the line is awsome, i haven't done a hard launch due to traction issues, but im sure it will make full boost at around 13-1400rpm. driving at 75mph in OD, it was making about 10psi with egt's at 750*F, it has alot more crusing boost than the old 66 did. the charger sounds alot different. below 10psi it sounds like the old charger but alot quieter due to the race cover. the race cover acts like a silencer ring, but above 10-15psi it starts to make a awsome whining noise all the way to full boost, which is about 48psi right now, il will adjust that down the road once the road conditions dry up. the sound is like the bottom big turbo coming in with a twin kit, it's frickin awsome! oh and let's noe forget the 10 blade 68mm turbine, it just sings throught the exhaust! almost like the old mack dump trucks! anyway enough talk here's some pictures! enjoy!

Wes

Attachments

• wes's toys 063 (Large).jpg
    wes's toys 063 (Large).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 167
  • wes's toys 064 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 064 (Custom).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 139
  • wes's toys 065 (Large).jpg
    wes's toys 065 (Large).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 113
  • wes's toys 066 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 066 (Custom).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 163
  • wes's toys 067 (Large).jpg
    wes's toys 067 (Large).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 105
  • wes's toys 072 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 072 (Custom).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 71
  • wes's toys 071 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 071 (Custom).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 37
  • wes's toys 070 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 070 (Custom).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 53
  • wes's toys 069 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 069 (Custom).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 130
  • wes's toys 068 (Large).jpg
    wes's toys 068 (Large).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 152
  • wes's toys 078 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 078 (Custom).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 88
  • wes's toys 077 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 077 (Custom).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 153
  • wes's toys 076 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 076 (Custom).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 61
  • wes's toys 074 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 074 (Custom).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 105
  • wes's toys 079 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 079 (Custom).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 97
  • wes's toys 083 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 083 (Custom).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 251
  • wes's toys 086 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 086 (Custom).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 448
  • wes's toys 089 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 089 (Custom).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 122
and the rest of the pics!

Attachments

• wes's toys 099 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 099 (Custom).jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 114
  • wes's toys 098 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 098 (Custom).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 125
  • wes's toys 097 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 097 (Custom).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 77
  • wes's toys 096 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 096 (Custom).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 82
  • wes's toys 095 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 095 (Custom).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 86
  • wes's toys 100 (Custom).jpg
    wes's toys 100 (Custom).jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 127
Looks and sounds like an awesome turbo. What is the difference with the 68mm turbine wheel vs. the old 65mm wheels other than diameter? Basically I'd like to know why Chris chooses the 68mm wheels over the 65mm, or 71mm wheels.

not quite sure about the top end yet, like i said it's been pretty wet around here, and i haven't been able to play with it. with the current fueling im sure it will still be hot, mayble slightly cooler than the old 66, i will know more this week.
scotty - the difference betwene the turbines is the 65mm turbine is a 11blade turbine that spools really well, but is lacking in the flow department in the top end. the 71mm, and 68mm 10 blade turbines are slower to spool, but have much better flow on the top end. the 68mm 10 blade is also has a more aggressive blade pitch which helps it spool faster than the 71mm. the 68mm turibne has been used in alot of john deere applications, and you can get a unmodified 62/68 from borg warner in a box, most people who deal with turbos on a daily basis know this, yet it just now seem to be coming out of the wood work, and alot of s300 builders are taking note and bulding these turbos with the option of this tubine. something i never knew and found out the other day is that this turbine was used back in the day, and as most knew eveything was rated by how fast it spooled, or by how much power it made, well the old B1 turbos(which are s300 based turbos) had this turbine, more specifically the model that has this turibne was the B1 Kwickspool. had we been as we are now with brekaing the turbo down to specific sizes, and housing options, we would know this information that we know now. how that clears things up with the differences in the turbines.

Wes

You seem just as happy with that 62 as I am with that 66. Glad to hear your enjoying the new turbo. Let us know how it works once you get a chance to play with it.

Mine comes tomorrow, can't fricken wait to get it on hopefully wed night definitely no later than the weekend.

Have had mine for 2 months now and its still a blast to drive!

Wes,
Im surprised to see that you are running 10psi at 75mph. I run about 4psi at 75mph with mine. Its probably the ported and polished head I have.

The 10 blade turbine sounds wicked!

it's about 10psi, it will be at 4-6psi, and i barely touch the pedal and it's over 10psi. do you have the manifold, and turbo blankets? that along with the 13ss housing over the 14 cast i think that is helping alot with crusing boost, and spoolup. i also have the downpipe wraped. there is very little lag at all. i love it!

the race cover along with the compressor wheel that ED cuts for the race cover allows the 62 wheel to flow aprox. 16% more air, in terms of lbs. a min, a stock 62 and compressor flow about 65lbs. a min. a 64 wheel flows about 75lbs. a min, and the super 62 wheel, and race cover will flow around 70 lbs. a min. so you have to spool up of a 62 wheel, yet flows closer that what a 64 will flow. it's good stuff!

Wes

That explains a lot Wes, thanks! Please keep us updated as to how this setup works out. I'm looking for a turbo soon as well and have been looking at 62 and 64mm units.

it's about 10psi, it will be at 4-6psi, and i barely touch the pedal and it's over 10psi. do you have the manifold, and turbo blankets? that along with the 13ss housing over the 14 cast i think that is helping alot with crusing boost, and spoolup. i also have the downpipe wraped. there is very little lag at all. i love it!

What kind of rpm do you see at 75mph? You have 3.54s or 4.10s? Is your truck lifted, stock, leveling kit, or lowered? Tire size?

the race cover along with the compressor wheel that ED cuts for the race cover allows the 62 wheel to flow aprox. 16% more air, in terms of lbs. a min, a stock 62 and compressor flow about 65lbs. a min. a 64 wheel flows about 75lbs. a min, and the super 62 wheel, and race cover will flow around 70 lbs. a min. so you have to spool up of a 62 wheel, yet flows closer that what a 64 will flow. it's good stuff!

Wes

Ahhh. Very nice. :rockwoot: I wish I had a race cover on my 64mm!

what kind of price are they asking for this thing? What kind of hp are they shooting for? 500+ and being able to keep it cool or....?

Back