Front Axle Locker or Limited Slip and Options?

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
I've noticed my front axle of my 97 std cab 4x4 cummins ram 2500 does not spin both tires when wheeling. I have a stock LSD in the d70 rear and whatever is stock in the front d60 with the stock 4.10 gears.

I like the simplicity, cost and ease of install of the powertrax stuff but am worried about it lasting. I'm guessing i'm about 500 at the tire and round 1000 tq. Is the powertrax lock rite worth looking into or is it sure to fail with moderate offroad use and mud bogging with the power I have and 35" tires that will bite? Given I have no plans to pull a sled (dana 70) that's about the most stress it'll see. The detroit I hear good things about but given it's $630 and requires the pinion depth/pattern/backlash, and all that good stuff is reset if possible i'd like to stay away if there's easier lower cost alternatives like the lock rite.

This truck is my daily driver and pulls up to 5000lbs from time to time not that that should matter given i'm only addressing the front. Thanks.

p.s. I'm in no hurry just planning for the future.

I don't think you can get the powertrax to work with an open differential, there isn't anyway to get it inside the carrier.

I don't think you can get the powertrax to work with an open differential, there isn't anyway to get it inside the carrier.

I'm assuming an open diff is what's in the front of my truck correct?

I've used similar products, but never the Lock Right branded lunchbox locker. I'm under the impression that the Lock Rights are designed to be used with an open diff case, just like the others.

Nick, any locker or LSD you put in the front end of your truck will cause the driveshaft to spin all the time, if that matters to you. There are a lot of fairly hardcore wheelers using the Lock Right with good results, and it has a lifetime warranty. I'd give it a shot.

I'm personally not a huge fan of detroits. They are expensive, and you will likely break the detroit if you break a u-joint or shaft. Plus you have to set up the gears again.

I've used similar products, but never the Lock Right branded lunchbox locker. I'm under the impression that the Lock Rights are designed to be used with an open diff case, just like the others.

Nick, any locker or LSD you put in the front end of your truck will cause the driveshaft to spin all the time, if that matters to you. There are a lot of fairly hardcore wheelers using the Lock Right with good results, and it has a lifetime warranty. I'd give it a shot.

I'm personally not a huge fan of detroits. They are expensive, and you will likely break the detroit if you break a u-joint or shaft. Plus you have to set up the gears again.

I saw a post discussing how when you use these lunch box deals in heavy axles like what we have they hold up better.

See link: Powertrax Locker for Dana 70/80 Product review on 4x4Wire.com

Doesn't say much about front dana 60 though. I looked at the power trax website and they have an application for the front dana 60, that being part number 2620. I checked it on Jegs and summit and what bothers me is it states for 35 spline apps when my front axle is 30 IIRC. Given these use the stock carrier (I think) would that matter?

I am trying to visualize how to get them inside an open diff carrier since it is one piece design. Are they that small to fit in the openings?

Doesn't say much about front dana 60 though. I looked at the power trax website and they have an application for the front dana 60, that being part number 2620. I checked it on Jegs and summit and what bothers me is it states for 35 spline apps when my front axle is 30 IIRC. Given these use the stock carrier (I think) would that matter?

There are several different spline counts that came stock in a d60. The D60 rears usually have 30 spline axles, and that is what the Dodge front axles also have. So spline count is very important, or else you will never have the front 30 spline axle shafts engage the side gears of a 35 spline locker.

I haven't bothered to look to see if there is a lunchbox locker for a d60 that accepts 30 spline shafts, but I would imagine there would be one since there are tons of 30 spline 60s out there.

I am trying to visualize how to get them inside an open diff carrier since it is one piece design. Are they that small to fit in the openings?

The locker comes disassembled, and you assemble it inside of the case. I'm really not able to explain how it is set up, but it works and that is what they are designed for.

Nick, any locker or LSD you put in the front end of your truck will cause the driveshaft to spin all the time, if that matters to you.

What are the downsides of this? Does this mean I will now have to come to a stop to engage 4x4 via the t-case linkage?

Just for Your information ,the front drive shaft spins all the time , even in 2wd position

Just for Your information ,the front drive shaft spins all the time , even in 2wd position

Ok, that makes sense. Something wasn't adding up and I thought the CAD's job was to allow 2wd operation to work fine with the spinning of the front driveshaft.

Would the locker have any other down sides during 2x4 operation?

That is in correct. If you don't have a CAD the driveshaft spins, if your cad is functioning properly, then the intermdiate shaft can spin, and the ring gear will not, the spiders just spin. Just like jacking a car up in park with an open rear end. Spin one tire and the other tire moves, but the driveshaft does not.

Mondster thanks for the explanation on those, I hadn't messed with them.

Nick the 97 should be a 30 spline 60.

2610 is the part number for 30 spline unit. Like I said right now i'm just kicking tires and getting together a game plan to see what's available. I really don't like the description of "not recommended for high hp" but who knows. Some say it's beast others say differently. I suppose it's application specific.

So given I have a CAD equiped truck which works if I add a locker will I need to come to a complete stop when engaging 4x4 if I add a locker?

That is in correct. If you don't have a CAD the driveshaft spins, if your cad is functioning properly, then the intermdiate shaft can spin, and the ring gear will not, the spiders just spin. Just like jacking a car up in park with an open rear end. Spin one tire and the other tire moves, but the driveshaft does not.

Even with working CAD, the driveshaft spins!! If you turn the saft by hand it tuns freely, but when you start drivin it will start rotating.

If you do not belive me , watch the shaft when somebody drives your truck.

I think the main reason is diff oil, witch transfering the force from one spider gear to diff housing, then to ring and pinion.

Ok, after refreshing on the CAD system here's a more specific question. When the CAD is set so 2x4 is operating the front driver wheel is turning the front diff. Does the intermediate shaft on the passenger side of the front diff spin the same direction or in different direction of the driver side shaft? The reason I ask is it says the intermediate shaft is "spun up" via a synchronizer before the passenger side axle connected to the passenger side wheel is engaged. Does this mean the intermediate shaft (shaft passenger side of the differential in between passenger side wheel shaft and diff) is reversed via this synchonization? With the locker it would not spin in a different direction. Someone please edumacate me! :)

Dodge CAD System Explained by 4x4Wire.com

What are the downsides of this? Does this mean I will now have to come to a stop to engage 4x4 via the t-case linkage?

The t-case is synchronized, so no.

The '01.5+ trucks didn't have a CAD, so the shaft spins all the time in them. They never had any problems.

I welded my CAD 2 years ago and haven't had any problems.

It will spin lazily, but not at full speed.

Mondster thanks for the explanation on those, I hadn't messed with them.

Nick the 97 should be a 30 spline 60.

Here's a link to a basic install for a better explanation...

Aussie Locker - Dana 30 Front Axle Installation Write-Up

So given I have a CAD equiped truck which works if I add a locker will I need to come to a complete stop when engaging 4x4 if I add a locker?

See above.

Ok, I have enough in this thread now to give me what I need. Thanks for the help guys:)

You could always put lockouts up front and then you could run whatever diff you felt like. Plus bearings are cheap and servicable.

Even with working CAD, the driveshaft spins!! If you turn the saft by hand it tuns freely, but when you start drivin it will start rotating.

If you do not belive me , watch the shaft when somebody drives your truck.

I think the main reason is diff oil, witch transfering the force from one spider gear to diff housing, then to ring and pinion.

Yea but it turns with no force, not like turning all the time, it just moves from the viscuous coupling fo the fluid, and drag of the gears.

Back