Front Axle Locker or Limited Slip and Options?

Dave, while I won't say the powertrax is stronger than the spool (duh) they seem to be holding up to a few trucks sled pulling at or over 700whp so if you want the benefits of an auto locker up front you may want to check them out. These things are big for the d60 axle from what i've read and will hopefully find out soon.

I installed one in a D70 before and it worked great course the power was not there, but the install was very easy. For me its between that or an arb for the front have not made my mind up yet ... the rear will be getting an arb its already in the mail :)

I installed one in a D70 before and it worked great course the power was not there, but the install was very easy. For me its between that or an arb for the front have not made my mind up yet ... the rear will be getting an arb its already in the mail :)

I wouldn't be as confident in one in the rear as I would one in the front. That being said there was a nice writeup on the net (I may have posted a link to in my related powertrax threads) where someone was remarking on how big and strong the powertrax appeared for their d70 or d80 can't remember.

Ok i have a question,

If someone was to do a "Lincoln locker" in the front with a posi-loc cable when in 4wd the driver side would be driven but you could use the posi-loc cable to engage or disengage the passenger side? So could you still make a 2wd low kit with a vacuum pump setup?

Ok i have a question,

If someone was to do a "Lincoln locker" in the front with a posi-loc cable when in 4wd the driver side would be driven but you could use the posi-loc cable to engage or disengage the passenger side? So could you still make a 2wd low kit with a vacuum pump setup?

It wouldn't work. You'd be in "3 wheel drive" when the CAD is unlocked with a spooled or welded diff. Welding or spooling the front axle will make it hard to turn when the t-case is driving the front axle regardless of whether or not the CAD is engaged or not.

IMHO a selectable locker is a waste of money in a CAD axle given you can run a spool and posi lok cable for far less money and get the exact same effect and likely end up with a more consistant engaging unit (read of selectable lockers sometimes taking some time to actually engage).

With as many posative reviews i've read about these powertrax in the front in dodge applications I don't see much point in spending more money on a detroit and having to deal with the hassle associated with putting in a new carrier etc. JMO

your right, im tarded. i read up on the cad and a selectable would be pointless. im used to the old 60's. i think ima have to lock up my front end since its so cheap and easy :rockwoot: .

Back