Front Axle Locker or Limited Slip and Options?

You know a guy on pavementsucks had a great idea; that being a spool with CAD and the Posi Lok cable! Being I have a CAD I could engage 4x4 with the t-case and keep the CAD disengaged so i'd have essentially what I have now 3wd. Than when the going gets rough I could engaged the CAD with the cable and have a tank strong 4x4 setup!

I was worried originally though cause I couldn't find a spool for 30 spline d60 with 4.10 gears but a memeber over there pointed me in the right direction. My worry though is what memeber JerrodGlover (spelling?) on here posted that being I'd have to shim over the intermediate axle or something along those lines because the spool lets the intermediate over too far. Here's the link to his thread:

Front Spool Help - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

The thing is with the locker to me it's going to act like a spool in the front anyway is it not? I mean i'm almost always going to be under power when in 4x4 offroad; therefore, it will be locked up 95% of the time or is my thinking off?

Just some more ideas comments?

Instead of getting a spool, just weld your spider gears!

Instead of getting a spool, just weld your spider gears!

Dan, I don't like the idea of welded parts up front as they are subject to failing. It's just a personal preference. Pluse my welder is only capable of 3/16" penetration and right now not even that given the 15 amp breaker I have it running on. This needs to be a weekend project and bolting in a spool wouldn't require that much time, most of it just being removing the axles i'd think.

I only want to do this once but thanks for the idea

Bolting in the spool your gonna have to reset the backlash. Remember you have the one piece carrier. The mini spools that folks use are made for two piece carriers.

Someone with more info can maybe pipe up and offer more info.

I need something to my front diff after today. I was stuck in snow and one front wheel and one rear was on air :bang

Bolting in the spool your gonna have to reset the backlash. Remember you have the one piece carrier. The mini spools that folks use are made for two piece carriers.

Someone with more info can maybe pipe up and offer more info.

Something to consider for sure. My thinking was that if the spool is the same dimensions as the stock carrier I would just use the same shim count on each side assuming the d60 uses shims for backlash. Even if not I don't think it would be too hard to get backlash set pinion depth/gear pattern is what I'd like to keep from having to fool around with.

I need something to my front diff after today. I was stuck in snow and one front wheel and one rear was on air :bang

Exactly, I fricken hate having a truck with all the ass in the world (for a normal street truck) and getting stuck:bang

Got some more input from a lock right front dana 60 user and he said it unlocks fine around turns and is much differnet than the previous air/electronic locker he had which would bind around turns and cause you to have to disengage it. Think I will give one a shot come tax return season.

Something to consider for sure. My thinking was that if the spool is the same dimensions as the stock carrier I would just use the same shim count on each side assuming the d60 uses shims for backlash. Even if not I don't think it would be too hard to get backlash set pinion depth/gear pattern is what I'd like to keep from having to fool around with.

Yea the backlash is much easier to set than the pinion depth.

Got some more input from a lock right front dana 60 user and he said it unlocks fine around turns and is much differnet than the previous air/electronic locker he had which would bind around turns and cause you to have to disengage it. Think I will give one a shot come tax return season.

I had a Lockrite up front as long as the CAD is disengaged youll be fine turning.

I had a Lockrite up front as long as the CAD is disengaged youll be fine turning.

So it didn't work well offroad while turning? I'm not worried about how it does on pavement considering I won't be using 4x4 unless it's very slick out.

Did you install it? Any information on things to look out for on the install would be appreciated!

You will probably be close, but it will likely need some slight adjustment. Don't forget that you will need a press and it is a good idea to have some setup bearings before you go pushing on the new ones for the final install.

So it didn't work well offroad while turning? I'm not worried about how it does on pavement considering I won't be using 4x4 unless it's very slick out.

Did you install it? Any information on things to look out for on the install would be appreciated!

One thing you need to remember with a welded/spooled front end is that it will not work well turning, even if the CAD is open. It will still bind when turning. It is probably not a big deal when you are off road, but if it sees street time in the snow in 4x4 I think you might regret it.

A locker is nice because they will unlock while turning. Unfortunately, they might also unlock when you really need/want it. It will most definitely be better than a stock open diff though.

I know this goes against what you want to do, but I'd personally just keep it open if this is going to be a street truck and see street time in 4x4.

Lock right 2610 on the way! Will be installing this weekend and hitting the mud bog race May 30th to see what happens!

Lock right 2610 on the way! Will be installing this weekend and hitting the mud bog race May 30th to see what happens!

you'll like it. i installed a spartan in the front of my friends built cherokee and on the first time out he was able to go farther than he had ever been able to before. at first it was clicking a bit then once it started to lock it was good to go.

Garrett

I run a lock rite in the front of mine and love it. I beat on it hard on the drag strip and in the trails. If it ever breaks I will probably get a detroit. I recently shattered the internals of my stock rear limited slip and replaced it with a detroit.
4140171064_large.jpg

4140171077_large.jpg

4140171154_large.jpg

Damn Lance. If yours is holding up I think i'll be just fine lol! Thanks for the pics looks like a serious rig you got there!

dont run a spool in the front, bad idea if you hit icy roads and try to turn. wheelers dont even run spools in the front unless there broke ho's and cant aford a selectable or detroit.

dont run a spool in the front, bad idea if you hit icy roads and try to turn. wheelers dont even run spools in the front unless there broke ho's and cant aford a selectable or detroit.

IMHO a selectable locker is a waste of money in a CAD axle given you can run a spool and posi lok cable for far less money and get the exact same effect and likely end up with a more consistant engaging unit (read of selectable lockers sometimes taking some time to actually engage).

With as many posative reviews i've read about these powertrax in the front in dodge applications I don't see much point in spending more money on a detroit and having to deal with the hassle associated with putting in a new carrier etc. JMO

IMHO a selectable locker is a waste of money in a CAD axle given you can run a spool and posi lok cable for far less money and get the exact same effect and likely end up with a more consistant engaging unit (read of selectable lockers sometimes taking some time to actually engage).

With as many posative reviews i've read about these powertrax in the front in dodge applications I don't see much point in spending more money on a detroit and having to deal with the hassle associated with putting in a new carrier etc. JMO

That is a very good point, I'm also looking into lockers for my front D60 and I did not think of the posi lock route.

Dave, while I won't say the powertrax is stronger than the spool (duh) they seem to be holding up to a few trucks sled pulling at or over 700whp so if you want the benefits of an auto locker up front you may want to check them out. These things are big for the d60 axle from what i've read and will hopefully find out soon.

Back