Opinions on this turbo rule

Sledpuller

Comp Diesel Sponsor
This is what PPL uses for Super Farm.

With obvious changes to sizes listed, and exhaust teching issues in pick ups, how would this affect the classes/trucks that are out there pulling now?

10. Turbos:
10A. Altering of a turbo housing to accommodate a smaller foot or base will not be permitted.
10B. Exhaust housing and exhaust manifold bolt pattern shall be no larger than 2.75 X 3.5 inches.
12 Intake:
• Map width enhancement is allowed. Maximum map width .200”. MWE groove must be inside neck area where intake covered is mearsured at 3”
• Compressor wheel must protrude into three inch bore.
• Intake housing to be no larger than three inches at the face of the wheel.
13 Exhaust:
• All turbine wheel blades to protrude into three inch bore. All air must exit through 3” opening.
• Turbine wheel exhaust blade to be no less than 2.90” in diameter at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
• Turbine housing to be no larger than three inches at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
• Exhaust housing will be measured at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
14. No waste gates will be permitted.
15. No variable geometric turbos permitted.

With obvious changes to sizes listed, and exhaust teching issues in pick ups, how would this affect the classes/trucks that are out there pulling now?

• Map width enhancement is allowed. Maximum map width .200”. MWE groove must be inside neck area where intake covered is mearsured at 3”

:pop:

Thats only a ten minute tech job on tractors and dodges, but hard on powerjokes and duramaxes, i like the idea of it tho.

Yeah, this seems a bit overly restrictive for a class that's supposed to be kinda "big boy::

a) see no reason at all to limit the foot to T-4. That just makes you chase down wierdo exhaust housings ($$$). If you're going to put a limit on it, make it T-6 to make everyone's life simpler.

b) No waste gates? C'mon. The engines are bunged up enough as it is, especially with a 75mm turbine exducer. I don't have a problem with a limit per se, but it would need to be in the 9_ mm range for this level of truck.

c) The wording of the MWE groove location would probably be written more clearly as "the forward edge of the groove must be at or behind the blade tips."

I'm shocked you're even entertaining turbine measurement, such a pain in the arse. We had that kind of thing at FPP when I first started and everyone hated it. I did fab up a 2-pc downpipe that made it a heck of a lot easier to tech, but still, PITA.

gene, you will never make anyone happy as far as the turbo rule go's. The two options I would consider would be a spec charger, or set a good set of charger rules exh. housing, inlet/outlet size like all tractor classes have, and have them all teched at the beginning of the year seal them up like a spec racecar motor. just a thought but no matter what you do someone will always b****

10. Turbos:
10A. Altering of a turbo housing to accommodate a smaller foot or base will not be permitted.
10B. Exhaust housing and exhaust manifold bolt pattern shall be no larger than 2.75 X 3.5 inches.
12 Intake:
• Intake housing to be no larger than three inches at the face of the wheel.
13 Exhaust:
• All turbine wheel blades to protrude into three inch bore. All air must exit through 3” opening.
• Turbine wheel exhaust blade to be no less than 2.90” in diameter at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
• Turbine housing to be no larger than three inches at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
• Exhaust housing will be measured at intersection of turbine wheel face and tip diameter.
14. No waste gates will be permitted.
15. No variable geometric turbos permitted.

This turbo rule is only good for the tractor class it is made for, however it could easily be tweaked to fit each individual truck class.

I only speak for 2.6. I think all those rules are gunna make it real tough for tech. I fully agree with the protrusion of the comp wheel into the housing, and make the rule say No clipped wheels, bushings, blah blah ect. Make it a true 2.6 wheel rule. The exhaust I would leave open, youve got V8's and I6's, autos and manuals that all require different wheel- housing option. It still allows the builder to be creative. IMO

Honestly, If this 3.0 class thing is gunna be a go, I would make the turbo rule the same ( true 3.0 wheel class) I think that would be a great class to pull in.$.02

I'm shocked you're even entertaining turbine measurement, such a pain in the arse. We had that kind of thing at FPP when I first started and everyone hated it. I did fab up a 2-pc downpipe that made it a heck of a lot easier to tech, but still, PITA.

Keep in mind I posted this under Sled Pulling and not NADM.. I'm doing my yearly duty of throwing ideas out there, to show a hillbilly in West By God Virginia that I'm not deaf, (apparently he is blind, I do this every year!?)

I am still of the mind set, that if any top 5 NADM 2.6 truck swapped chargers with say a 15th place truck, the placement would not change.

Heres some input for you, DETAILS!

• Altering of a turbo housing to accommodate a smaller foot or base will not be permitted.
• 2.6 class: Exhaust housing should be OEM for the specific vehicle or T-3 type mount (1.75"X3.375" bolt pattern). T-4 and T-6 type mounts not allowed, waste gates are allowed only if the design is internal to the turbine housing, spacers and/or adapters between the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are not allowed. The turbo must fasten directly to the exhaust manifold.

• Map width enhancement is allowed. Maximum map width .150”. MWE groove must be inside neck area where intake covered is measured at 2.6"

• Compressor wheel must protrude into 2.6 inch bore, no steps allowed in the cover or compressor wheel, no bushings allowed in the compressor cover, Intake housing to be no larger than 2.6 inches at the face of the wheel. Maximum OD of the compressor cover may not exceed 8.5"

Exhaust:
• 2.6 class: exhaust must exit the turbo through a pipe no larger than 4" OD which must extend to the rear of the transmission bell housing before changing size.

If a superfarm tractor can make more than 1000 hp on a t4 non gated charger on a 450 ci + engine spinning 5000 rpm than its not gonna bung you up that bad.

If a superfarm tractor can make more than 1000 hp on a t4 non gated charger on a 450 ci + engine spinning 5000 rpm than its not gonna bung you up that bad.

Their drive pressures have got to be insane. That's a shatload of CFM, unless the manifolds and heads are really poor....

I mean, lookit, how many people think a GT42 is smallish for a 403 CID Dmax that runs maybe 4200 down track? If you run the math, it says it's getting pretty far off the map...

Heres some input for you, DETAILS!

• Altering of a turbo housing to accommodate a smaller foot or base will not be permitted.
• 2.6 class: Exhaust housing should be OEM for the specific vehicle or T-3 type mount (1.75"X3.375" bolt pattern). T-4 and T-6 type mounts not allowed, waste gates are allowed only if the design is internal to the turbine housing, spacers and/or adapters between the turbine housing and exhaust manifold are not allowed. The turbo must fasten directly to the exhaust manifold.

• Map width enhancement is allowed. Maximum map width .150”. MWE groove must be inside neck area where intake covered is measured at 2.6"

• Compressor wheel must protrude into 2.6 inch bore, no steps allowed in the cover or compressor wheel, no bushings allowed in the compressor cover, Intake housing to be no larger than 2.6 inches at the face of the wheel. Maximum OD of the compressor cover may not exceed 8.5"

Exhaust:
• 2.6 class: exhaust must exit the turbo through a pipe no larger than 4" OD which must extend to the rear of the transmission bell housing before changing size.

That's a bunch of junk. Make em all run hand grenades (s300) for turbos. No thanks. Have fun with that. If u all do this, I hope Orginizations n KY quit trying to have similar rules to national organizations.

Smoke Show, your opinion is highly valued, but not very constructive. Please, add some input in a technical manner, rather than a rant.

Once again, these rule changes have been suggested. That means you can suggest some also.

mech thinks the current rules are seriously flawed, obviously, most don't agree.

Back