01' hard start/knock/tons of white smoke after injector install

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
A buddy of mine sent his injectors off to be rebuilt in his 01'....he installed them and vapor locked the motor, pulled the injectors and turned engine over cleaned out cylinders, re installed injectors and truck has a hard start, a ton of white smoke which turns to greyish when you give it fuel, truck has a miss and is not running very good and also has a knock

I went a looked the truck over today and cranked it, first it was hard to crank then same symptoms as above and it developed a knock about a minute after start up...... I revved it a couple of times then shut it off and it vapor locked again.....

an ideas?

Im tryin to figure out the vapor lock?? When he installed the injectors did he pull the GPs and turn the engine over by hand to get rid of all the oil in the cylinders? Could be just a bunch of excess oil trapped in the cylinders and exhaust. If you get it started again dont rev it,just let it idle for awhile and see if things clear up,

Im tryin to figure out the vapor lock?? When he installed the injectors did he pull the GPs and turn the engine over by hand to get rid of all the oil in the cylinders? Could be just a bunch of excess oil trapped in the cylinders and exhaust. If you get it started again dont rev it,just let it idle for awhile and see if things clear up,

define: run a while?

it smokes pretty heavily..... he says he cleaned them out the second time to get all excess fuel and oil off the pistons

Thats what i was wondering if he drained the oil rail before pulling the injectors and now the cylinders are full of oil.

he did, and they told him that they just run it for 100miles before it cleans up..... but drove the truck a few miles down the road and said he had to be towed home....sorry, I don't know much about powerstrokes

It could still have air pocket in the oil rails and thats were the miss is coming from. Also did he put the cold start injector in the right cylinder?

I believe so... he was saying something about 7 ab injectors and 1 ad or something like that..... but tell me where it should go as I am now helping him

back cylinder on the drivers side. cylinder 8

Did he drain the rail by taking the rail plugs out or did he just pull the injectors?

Last edited:
Tell him to give me a call in the morning. Sounds like there's a chit load of air in the system, and can take as much as 100 miles to work its way out, but if it's not even driveable, there may be something else going on.

Back