01' hard start/knock/tons of white smoke after injector install

Tell him to give me a call in the morning. Sounds like there's a chit load of air in the system, and can take as much as 100 miles to work its way out, but if it's not even driveable, there may be something else going on.

It doesnt seem right to me... but thats coming from a cummins opinion....

nevermind...if I would read......

Eric, extension 22. Having worked on nothing but cummin's previously, it threw me for a loop too the first time i heard an initial startup after a 7.3 injector swap. Sounds nothing like a 24valve after an injector swap, but we'll get it figured out for him tomorrow!!

It doesnt seem right to me... but thats coming from a cummins opinion....

nevermind...if I would read......

Just an fyi. You should always pull the rail plugs before pulling the injectors to allow the oil to drain out of the rail. That stops almost all of the oil from going into the cylinders. What scares me is it hydro locked and could have bent a rod or few

Eric, extension 22. Having worked on nothing but cummin's previously, it threw me for a loop too the first time i heard an initial startup after a 7.3 injector swap. Sounds nothing like a 24valve after an injector swap, but we'll get it figured out for him tomorrow!!

thanks.... and for the record I didnt think it was the injectors.... just something he has done... but thats my opinion

Just an fyi. You should always pull the rail plugs before pulling the injectors to allow the oil to drain out of the rail. That stops almost all of the oil from going into the cylinders. What scares me is it hydro locked and could have bent a rod or few

yeah it scares me too and thats what I told him about the bent rods...... but I shut it off and cranked again and thats when it wouldnt even turn over....people here in hillbilly country never listen to me.... I always tell them, i might not know the answer but I'll sure find out for them......

nothing yet... i told him to call Eric and I haven't spoke to him since.... I did find out the cold start injector probably isnt in the right place and he did not drain the oil rail pryor to injector install...... so those things are probably the culprit.....

Explain to me the cold start injector?

As far as I know their isn't a "cold start" injector, theirs a LL (long lead) injector that goes in number 8 to get rid of the fuel knock the later superduty's had. (maybe it only had fuel knock when cold?)

Are all injectors seated fully down & tight? Sounds like he didn't purge the oil out of the cylinders and hydro locked it...

The cold start inj. Blah blah blah... It also known as a long lead inj.. and it don't mean shyt.. the truck will run with it in any hole.. When he pulled the injectors he drained the oil rail, no way to stop it. And all that fuel and oil went right in the cylinders...
More useless info can be found on the LL inj if you do a search for CACKLE.. LOL.

The cold start inj. Blah blah blah... It also known as a long lead inj.. and it don't mean shyt.. the truck will run with it in any hole.. When he pulled the injectors he drained the oil rail, no way to stop it. And all that fuel and oil went right in the cylinders...
More useless info can be found on the LL inj if you do a search for CACKLE.. LOL.

he says he cleaned the pistons the 2nd go around after the hydro locked it..... but the only thing I can figure is it started the push alot of that oil out, so its stuck somewhere in between...... I told him to drain the oil first, pull all of the injectors, then rotate engine by hand and clean crap out of cylinders, reinstall and let it run a while and see if it dont start to clear up....... so we will see how it goes

Did he change the injector cups? Or at least clean the old ones up good before installing the new injectors? Sounds like some sort of issue with the way the o-rings are sealing. I've had them run rough after a fresh install but never as bad as you're describing unless something was installed wrong. O-rings flip flopped, etc.

Last edited:
Back