05 3500 going into limp mode

smoknyou03

Savannah Smokers
ive got a 05 3500 4x4 that keeps goin into limp mode

truck hauls a 4car wedge gvw is around 32k

mods are intake, muffler delete, and afe turbo inlet. a buddy of mine had some volant tuner said it was the same as a ppe or somethin so we put it on. truck drove fine then went into limp. we changed the fuel filter things got better, then back to limp mode. so we took the programmer returned the truck to stock drove fine for 100 miles then back into limp. truck has done this maybe 6 times now. no check engine codes. one thing that was kinda weird it seems like the speedo got changed and some break light and abs light came on. when we returned the truck to stock it all went away. any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Codes were p0101. p0463. p1093. Truck ran fine all day yesterday then we got on 95 and around 70mph it went into limp mode. It seems like it runs really strong until I get on the highway with a load. Any thoughts or ideas?

Truck also is having a hard time starting. Seems to take almost 10 seconds to start. Also shakes a little bit more than usual at idle

---Code: P0101
Modules: ECM, PCM
Description: Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance
---Code: P0463
Modules: ECM, PCM
Description: Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage
---Code: P1093
Modules: ECM
Description: Fuel Rail Pressure Low During Power Enrichment

The last one tells me the relief valve may be getting weak but the other 2 don't match that ????

What level are you running the tuner on ? Are you hauling the wedge during all this ?

Well I just drove the truck almost 120 miles empty and was runnin 70 to 80 no problems. Gonna see how it does on the way back

I think it might be the programmer. All this started after I installed that and the A F E turbo inlet. One that I find weird is last night when the truck went into limp and I loaded level 1 on the volant programmer then went back into limp 40 miles later. I then limped home and parked the truck for the night. This morning I started the truck took a few seconds as usual and seemed to run fine.

I'm running a napa "bhaf" for a filter and I did a muffler delete and those are my only mods

What level are you running the tuner on ? Are you hauling the wedge during all this ?

Ran level 1 a couple times but does it when truck is reset to stock

It has only gone into limp when its hooked to the wedge. And only does it on the highway

Last edited:
There's a good chance the air filter is causing the MAF code as some aftermarket intakes cause it. one that's not matched close to desired flow may effect sensor performance
If it's only limped when hooked to the trailer (under load) the fuel rail relief valve may be weak after all. what is level 1, 65hp ?

There's a good chance the air filter is causing the MAF code as some aftermarket intakes cause it. one that's not matched close to desired flow may effect sensor performance
If it's only limped when hooked to the trailer (under load) the fuel rail relief valve may be weak after all. what is level 1, 65hp ?

Yea I was thinkin that about the maf and I believe its a 40HP tune

Well it just did it again this time on a back road goin about 50.

Well I just pulled the truck over shut it down for a few minutes and now its runnin fine. Still had a long hard start though

What causes the d max to have a hard start? Started foun it after the programmer was installed and even when the truck has no programmer on it still has starting troubles

I don't think it was fuel. I use about 50 gallons of diesel a day and I run diesel kleen in every tank.

So I went to the GM stealership yesterday and the first thing the tech said was I need new injectors. Another tech said it could be BC I didn't use a AC delco fuel filter when we replaced it

Well the truck is still going into limp mode I returned the vehicle to stock and it still has a real hard start. It is throwing the maf and frpl codes. I'm gonna try another intake and see if that could be the problem

I had a code issue like that when I installed the LBZ intake system on my LLY without changing the MAF settings.

I'm not sure why you are having issues with starting, but I would put the stock tune, stock intake back on and change your fuel filter first.

Dix

I installed an A F E stg 2 today still goin into limp mode. So I'm guessing its not the intake maybe the maf is bad who knows. I'm gonna get the AC delco fuel filter which is what GM says I should usesnd my ad150 should be here Friday so hopefully that will fix my fuel problem

Don't know yet. Still limpin my way home with a 20k load. All I know is I'm thankful se georgia has no hills

As long as it's a wix/Napa fuel filter it's all the same. Take some CRC electrical cleaner to the MAF sensor. Let it dry and stick it back in.

As long as it's a wix/Napa fuel filter it's all the same. Take some CRC electrical cleaner to the MAF sensor. Let it dry and stick it back in.

It came from advance. Don't remember the brand. I'm going to clean the maf tonight and see how it does in the morning.

Could a dirty maf be causing the hard starts?

Back