1/2 Ton 24v Swap/build

10255498_10151957219951990_6848664425433052843_n.jpg

Crappy pic, but go the brake lines finished last night. I didnt have time to make a bracket to mount the prop valve though. Should turn out ok. Hopefully having the high pressure hydroboost lines made today.

10007428_10151971498006990_6811755903087112351_n.jpg

Ended up with the HD hydraulics from Southbend. Also got the rest of the hydroboost lines in the mail. Now just some wiring and fluids.

I have a few questions about fuel pressure/regulation after doing some reading. Researching the topic has actually brought me more questions instead of answers.

Right now, AirDog is feeding (dual feed) the p7100. The "return line" out of the airdog goes back into the tank. The return out of the p7100 T's with the line out of the back of the cylinder head, then back to the tank.

I had thought about using an Aeromotive pressure referenced regulator like I normally do with my charged gas stuff. Would it be best to run the regulator between the airdog and the p7100 or in the return line after the pump? I was planning to run on the return side thinking it would better regulate the pump supply. What should the idle pressure be and how much drop in psi under boost is acceptable?

Also any comments on lubricating fuel additives?

Last edited:
Cool project! The regular cab short box stick shift diesel format just makes tons of sense. I'm in Huntsville as well.

I have a few questions about fuel pressure/regulation after doing some reading. Researching the topic has actually brought me more questions instead of answers.

Right now, AirDog is feeding (dual feed) the p7100. The "return line" out of the airdog goes back into the tank. The return out of the p7100 T's with the line out of the back of the cylinder head, then back to the tank.

I had thought about using an Aeromotive pressure referenced regulator like I normally do with my charged gas stuff. Would it be best to run the regulator between the airdog and the p7100 or in the return line after the pump? I was planning to run on the return side thinking it would better regulate the pump supply. What should the idle pressure be and how much drop in psi under boost is acceptable?

Also any comments on lubricating fuel additives?

The ones I've done. I Removed the ofv valve and put the regulator in the return line. I dont use the any pressure for added psi.
I've heard alot of ppl say different pumps like different PSI. My Dakota has a 175 pump it's set at 76 PSI. My brothers race truck(180 pump with a Darren Cam) is set to 60 PSI.
My dads pulling truck is a 160 pump set to 55-60 PSI( all the pressure the Fass wants to put out). They all stay with 5 PSI of their starting pressure.

Thanks. It looks like it has some sort of ball/spring regulator in the return line now. Im going to get it running, monitor the psi and see if I need to change anything. Waiting on a few things to come in the mail this week. Should be able to start it this weekend.

Deleted the radio-shorting cup holder to hold 3 1.5" guages since the cluster will no longer work.

Also got fluid in the trans, carpet in, shifter surround mounted this weekend.
10294441_10151977384191990_6895166412110073922_n.jpg

10277727_10151977384111990_1070236717712848487_n.jpg

1013579_10151977384161990_2444920506096915495_n.jpg

Why doesn't your cluster work?

Its a gas cluster. I was referring to the oil press, coolant temp, and tach mainly. The voltage and fuel level will still function. I will have to figure out the speedo though. Mechanical guages are usually more accurate than the factory cluster anyways.

Its a gas cluster. I was referring to the oil press, coolant temp, and tach mainly. The voltage and fuel level will still function. I will have to figure out the speedo though. Mechanical guages are usually more accurate than the factory cluster anyways.

Are they not hooked up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean. I didnt pull the harness from the 1t truck so I have no harness and removed some of the factory sensors. Wasnt planning on using the factory cluster from the start.

Being a 97 dodge, get a 97 diesel engine harness and PCM and plug it in and go!

I have a 97 truck I'm almost done parting out... I have harness and pcm... pm me if your interested

It should just plug up anyway, shouldn't it? Is there a difference from 94-02 in Guage cluster?

98-02 have a different cluster and dash. now, i am not sure if the connections are different that the cluster plugs into.

If Im not mistaken, the gas engine harness connectors (3 square-ish plugs by the drivers side fender) are spliced into the body harness of the truck. I would be very surprised if the pins were the same on the plugs but I guess Dodge may have done that. The motor came out of a 99 model truck with a hacked up harness so I have nothing to compare the gas harness to.

The junkyard north of Huntsville on 231 had multiple 94-02 dodge rams last time I checked. I would be willing to bet you could find the cluster and wiring harness you need there.

Can I get some info on those brake line fittings you used? The braided hose is a real nice way of doing things. Great build man.

The junkyard north of Huntsville on 231 had multiple 94-02 dodge rams last time I checked. I would be willing to bet you could find the cluster and wiring harness you need there.

Is that Bama Parts? I will check them out, thanks!

Can I get some info on those brake line fittings you used? The braided hose is a real nice way of doing things. Great build man.

All the fittings and hose are Earls brand. I used 7/16-24 inverted flare female to -4 AN male and converted the booster (m12 flare and m10 flare) to -4AN as well which came from AN fittings direct I think. The brake lines take some time to assemble to be sure they are seated properly but the turnout is nice. I may run another 90 out of the prop valve to make it look more symmetrical.

Back