12's on $10k??

RedBowTies88

The 3rd slowski
so trying to talk a friend into getting a diesel. he's into cars but would liek to also have a truck and wants to spend about 10k total.

so looking around i can find p-pump 12 valves for <5k so would another 5 be enough for trans and turbo + any fueling mods he would need to break 12's with a reasonably prepared and light truck?

Possible if you get your truck cheap enough I'm into mine about 8k and ran a 13.5 at 107 so with some traction I should get some 12 second action soon

yea man you def have the mph for it.

thanks for the help... ill tell him to quite looking at lightnings and grow a pair :D

There's a guy with a first gen on here who's run 12.50's with a 1st gen Dodge with stock injectors, the stock 727 trans, a 3rd gen turbo, and some nitrous. He has a good torque converter in it (Goerend) but I'd be surprised if he has 2K in his upgrades.

There's a guy with a first gen on here who's run 12.50's with a 1st gen Dodge with stock injectors, the stock 727 trans, a 3rd gen turbo, and some nitrous. He has a good torque converter in it (Goerend) but I'd be surprised if he has 2K in his upgrades.

thats with the VE just cranked all the way up? thats almost faster then me. damn!

would that be as reliable though as a p-pump? the ve must be working pretty hard...and dont those need real strong lift pumps also?

They're reliable as long as you don't try to spin em over 4,000 rpm or run em out of fuel. An AirDog 165 or something like that with a draw tube would be all you need for lift pump if you're on a budget. They're also light. My 2wd weighs 4850 w/o driver

Beech, he could do it with a decent used LB7. There are loads of high mileage LB7s out there for 5-7grand. If he did the trans himself and efi ... IMO totally possible. Just as long as the injectors are there, its a reality.

yea but he would want 4x4, what about the tranny? are stock internals at that level a timebomb?

Beech, he could do it with a decent used LB7. There are loads of high mileage LB7s out there for 5-7grand. If he did the trans himself and efi ... IMO totally possible. Just as long as the injectors are there, its a reality.

man lowest ive seen for a lb7 that isn't in pieces is right about 10k ill never convince him to pick up something with over 250k miles :(

would be awesome though..could even use my v2 to do the tunning

With the possibility of an 11.90 index class next year, I would love to build up a budget 4x4 for the class. I'd probably need to have at least an extra cab though for utility. Hmmm, maybe it's time to sell a toy or two and start another project ;)

man lowest ive seen for a lb7 that isn't in pieces is right about 10k ill never convince him to pick up something with over 250k miles :(

would be awesome though..could even use my v2 to do the tunning

Forgetting you are on my far right hand 1200 miles ... dime a dozen out here. Just looked at a few yesterday on Autotrader.

A few months ago, diesel power had an article similar to this with the bright green truck running a 64mm turbo. The transmission work will be the most expensive. You could get away with running a single
CompD Mobile Device

If he can build the transmission himself, he could do a 94-98 12 valve 4x4 for 10K. If he has a buy one, that's 5-7K depending on tranny builder.

By the way, you can get away with a weaker tranny setup on a lighter truck, especially 2wd. With the heavier 4x4 package, no way.

If he can build the transmission himself, he could do a 94-98 12 valve 4x4 for 10K. If he has a buy one, that's 5-7K depending on tranny builder.

By the way, you can get away with a weaker tranny setup on a lighter truck, especially 2wd. With the heavier 4x4 package, no way.

ouch, yea my trans build was in the mid 4's..figured if he could do one for 3's and found a good deal on a turbo he could get away with it... but no he cant do it himself. :(

he wants 4x4 so he can have fun on the street... he's been in mine for 4x4 launches and thats what he wants if he's getting a diesel

With the possibility of an 11.90 index class next year, I would love to build up a budget 4x4 for the class. I'd probably need to have at least an extra cab though for utility. Hmmm, maybe it's time to sell a toy or two and start another project ;)

No! :stab::D

ouch, yea my trans build was in the mid 4's..figured if he could do one for 3's and found a good deal on a turbo he could get away with it... but no he cant do it himself. :(

he wants 4x4 so he can have fun on the street... he's been in mine for 4x4 launches and thats what he wants if he's getting a diesel

You could probably get away with a 3K tranny setup for a few trips to 12.9 or so but not reliably.

Back