12's on $10k??

I have less than 7k into my truck. I only got 2 passes in this summer a 13.60 and 13.54 were the results with a D/A of 8600ft. I also thing there's at least a few tenths left in it, I was shifting it at 3600 rpm which was way past the torque peak to the point of starting to lay over. So I'm pretty sure at sea level shifting at 3000-3200 rpm it would be a solid 12.

Find a dirt cheap 03-04 2wd Cummins CR... Throw in a simple Valve Body, Torque Converter, Smarty, TST, Pressure Box, and Larger Turbo... Viola! You may be able to get away with some fun for a little while if it was built on Wesneday...

Put me on a LB7 for 5 to 7K!

There out there, I payed $5500 for mine last October with 180k miles. Had a charging issue, oil pressure read low (skewed sensor) and a shot rear ujoint but it also came with a fairly fresh purple tranny.

I have a '95 I bought for $5500 that I'm trying to do the same thing with....I'll let you know what happens. So far I'm in the 17's :bang But for free :Cheer:

It ran a 19.9 stock, so I feel like I'm getting somewheres....

Next step will be Garmon's stuff and a built trans....should be all done for under 5K.

My 95' Junker Drag Truck just got into the 12's for just under $3,500 invested including the $1,500 purchase price.

However, this truck is 2wd so I can get away with weaker tranny parts. Also, the lighter weight, 5220 lbs without driver helps tremendously as it only takes about 500 rear wheel horsepower to run 12's with a lighter weight 2wd.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59175&page=19

yea i gotcha...well i would never want him to do that..tranny problems are a *****.

With the possibility of an 11.90 index class next year, I would love to build up a budget 4x4 for the class. I'd probably need to have at least an extra cab though for utility. Hmmm, maybe it's time to sell a toy or two and start another project ;)

Got any more info on this possible class?

my 95 trud has been 7.48@92mph/11.79@110mph with less then $4000.00 total.

Dang, looks like you're getting that truck to hook hard if you're running 11's with that MPH. What kind of 60' times are you seeing and is this just a leaf spring home-made caltrac setup for the rear suspension? What are you running for rear shocks?

Also, do you have any idea on your static weight bias? My 95' is a nasty off-balanced 64% front to 36% rear without driver.

Dang, looks like you're getting that truck to hook hard if you're running 11's with that MPH. What kind of 60' times are you seeing and is this just a leaf spring home-made caltrac setup for the rear suspension? What are you running for rear shocks?

Also, do you have any idea on your static weight bias? My 95' is a nasty off-balanced 64% front to 36% rear without driver.

poped headgasket at the end of the track so i backed out of it a little. thats where the mph went. on that pass it went 1.63 60ft. as far as i know the rear shocks are stock with 321k on them. i decked and fireringed the head sunday and will be putting her back together this week with a small cam and a used ATS manifold. may do some bowl work to the head too but we will see.
pm me your email and i will send you some better pics. this build was just something for me to play with after my pro street truck was sold. just trying to see how fast i can go without spending much money.

on the stictic weight bias thing i have no idea. still have trailer hitch, spare tire, stock bumper on the back. the only thing that has been removed is 1 battery.

deals like that i can find. but that bad boy would still be an easy 6-7k from 12's reliably

i should be in the 12s for under 5k with my cummins. 1500 for the truck, 1000 for the motor 1000 in the trans w/ billet input and converter, then fueling and turbo another $900.

My 95' Junker Drag Truck just got into the 12's for just under $3,500 invested including the $1,500 purchase price.

However, this truck is 2wd so I can get away with weaker tranny parts. Also, the lighter weight, 5220 lbs without driver helps tremendously as it only takes about 500 rear wheel horsepower to run 12's with a lighter weight 2wd.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59175&page=19

If you can do the labor yourselves, and spend some time shopping for parts, you could build a very respectable truck for not too much. My project is on hold right now because I just had surgery, but I have all my trans parts waiting. Shopped around, bought stuff where it was priced the best, some used some new. I picked up a used billet input for $500 shipped, a rebuilt 5 star conv for $750, fairbanks shift kit for $30 on Ebay, raybestos rebuild kit for $125, plus odds and ends from PATC. Check out other threads (Big Blues thread is great for trans info) for trans buildups. There's not many, but there are some good ones. Most people think it's rocket science, but it's not. Take your time, research it, ask for help when you need it.

I'd look for a 94 or 95 12V. Should be on average the cheapest. I got my donor eng and trans from an ebay truck. Reg cab long bed (bed was gone though), 2wd with a badly slipping trans for $1200. Sold off the rest after pulling what I needed and have about $900 into the engine, trans, and harness. Took me 6 months to find the perfect truck for my needs.

Take your time and keep your eyes open. Just don't hesitate when you spot a good deal.

Back