12v build to start soon!

If the spring height is too low you get excessive spring pressure and possibly coil bind. T think you can get different locks to reduce the spring height. Public Notice - CompD

I believe when they balance pistons they remove material from the bottom of the skirt, where it is least critical. So it shouldn't matter if they are balanced before or after coating.
I think Paul mentioned that using the coating allows you to reduce the piston-to-block clearance and still not have scuffing.

thanks for the links White Knight. The springs, retainers, and locks were all from hamilton and are the 165#ers. Is there a way to determine which lock I will need to use? I saw it said heights as low as 1.78" had to much pressure/coil bind. The other heights mentioned for the different standard and negative locks were 1.97" and 1.84" respectively. How do I know which height I will need to use? Thanks

When Joe assembled it he might have measured them. I just helped my brother install a set and we measured each one when we installed it. His were all on the short side but still ok. It was kind of a pain to do with the head still in the truck, but I think it would be easy to do with the head on a bench.

For what you're doing I would think that 1.95-1.90 would be ideal. But since the valve job is already done you might just go with the best you can get.

Thanks Derek. I left a message with Joe because I don't have the head nearby. We will see what im workin with...

The motor is out, the turbo, head, pump, etc…are off. Pistons are out. Bare block. Should be heading to DLK here soon for balancing, then off to swain tech with the pistons for coating. Freaking can't wait at all!!!!

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Johnny's takin care of me now, down at DLK Machining. Then it's off to swain tech with the pistons. I'm shooting for a month from now for the eta.

Heading down to dlk today to get some stack clamps I will check up on him. I want that super damper, thats my next purchase.

Not using the factory tach? that super damper doesnt have the notches for the tachometer pick-up. thats a 24v damper

Block, crank, rods, rocker pedestals, etc… back from dlk. Pistons and bearings are almost done getting coated at swain tech in NY. Waiting on the Steed Speed Competition manifold to come in. Got a new tach today:
IMG_0643.jpg

Motor is half built. Hopefully I'll some more pics soon. Screw the pics actually….I want to get some vids and drive the thing. Now that its getting close, it feels like its really dragging on...

Just rustin away........
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Out with the old.....
IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

In with the new.....
IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg
IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

I hoping in two weeks, it will be done. Then the fine tuning begins. I can't wait to get her spinning again

New tires and wheels BTW. Mickey Thompson 36/15.50/20 on MHT Fuel Hostage Machined/black 20x14. Now if only I could remember where I put my sawzall. haha
IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Just sitting in front of my buddies 2012....holy schnikies these things are massive!!!!
IMG_0673.jpg

Thanks guys! It's getting too close……I can hardly sleep at night! haha More pics and videos to come.

Back